Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

14yo girl driven to suicide on Myspace

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really a messed up and a very sad tale, there are some very messed up people using the net these days...I wonder if they stopped to wonder how they'd feel if it was their daughter copping shit like this and ended up taking her own life...

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:48 pm

What Happend of the Net Being a Nice Place
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:58 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Really it was never a nice place, a lot of the sick and twisted humanoids of the world decided that the internet served them easy pray and decided they'd move there.

Sadly shit like this is the sad reality of the internet it's a shame because there's a lot of good things on the internet, nice little communities they are all screwed up because of a minority of twisted people.

It's a terrible shame.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Really it was never a nice place, a lot of the sick and twisted humanoids of the world decided that the internet served them easy pray and decided they'd move there.

Sadly shit like this is the sad reality of the internet it's a shame because there's a lot of good things on the internet, nice little communities they are all screwed up because of a minority of twisted people.

It's a terrible shame.

Very True Proto Crying or Very sad

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Read about that on Whirlpool. Though a few cynics over there reckon the story is fake.

If it is true, those parents are twisted to play with the mind of someone so young.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:02 pm

I have 13& 11 yr old Daughters. I have banned Myspace, youtube, Pm sites and the like.
If they want to chat to friends they have MSN. And they are not allowed to add friends unless i give permission.

This will continue until they turn 18 or move out of my home. Also none of my kids will have their own mobile until the same age.

Technology is great but we are allowing our children to become vulnerable. We have told our children to beware of strangers, but some young seem to believe that if it is cyber it is not really real. And some are not able to use the technology responsibly enough to keep themselves out of harms way.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:34 pm

bwphantom wrote:
I have 13& 11 yr old Daughters. I have banned Myspace, youtube, Pm sites and the like.
If they want to chat to friends they have MSN. And they are not allowed to add friends unless i give permission.

This will continue until they turn 18 or move out of my home. Also none of my kids will have their own mobile until the same age.

Technology is great but we are allowing our children to become vulnerable. We have told our children to beware of strangers, but some young seem to believe that if it is cyber it is not really real. And some are not able to use the technology responsibly enough to keep themselves out of harms way.

Your a Bit Harsh.

I agree Ban MySpace but Let them have YouTube and Give them a Mobile to them when there 15 because you would like to keep in touch with them

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:45 pm

I never had a mobile Dave, and I turned out just fine. And besides If they go out they can use mine. I understand the keep in touch concept but do not see it as a necessary item. We have one mobile in our family and it serves all of us well.

As for Youtube it is not at all innocent and deserves to be on the banned list. My daughter uses the computer learning code and for educational reasons. Call me antique but we do not have a PS or the like and I will not have one in my house. It is called outside playing a thing of the past. Problem is kids are not using their imagination and because entertainment is given to them, some find it hard think for themselves. For instance I took 6 young men aged between 13-16 camping. We went to a place called 1770. Now it is right near the beach, there are creeks and bush to explore. For the whole time they kept asking 'what are we doing now' I said have a look around and go explore. They expected me to show them how to have fun. Because the use of TV, Video games and other easily accessed entertainment has lessened the use of brain power.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:55 pm

bwphantom wrote:
I never had a mobile Dave, and I turned out just fine. And besides If they go out they can use mine. I understand the keep in touch concept but do not see it as a necessary item. We have one mobile in our family and it serves all of us well.

As for Youtube it is not at all innocent and deserves to be on the banned list. My daughter uses the computer learning code and for educational reasons. Call me antique but we do not have a PS or the like and I will not have one in my house. It is called outside playing a thing of the past. Problem is kids are not using their imagination and because entertainment is given to them, some find it hard think for themselves. For instance I took 6 young men aged between 13-16 camping. We went to a place called 1770. Now it is right near the beach, there are creeks and bush to explore. For the whole time they kept asking 'what are we doing now' I said have a look around and go explore. They expected me to show them how to have fun. Because the use of TV, Video games and other easily accessed entertainment has lessened the use of brain power.

Jezz, You are Old Fashioned. Well I agree thanks to Computer and TV, People use for neally all there entertainment and when they go Outside they can get bored quick.

How old are you?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:00 pm

The kids being alienated by the peers, is one issue. Not everyone has a computer and internet in their house.

Another risk factor is actually alienating them yourself. It's a differentgeneration these days and while they are (IMO) not as intellectually mature at the same age as our generation was at the same age and far more concernned with "bright shiny things", they can be a lot more self centred and able to take and hold offence at perceived unfair treatment. Trying to explain something to a 15 year old using logic is a waste. They can hear the words and mouth the right phrases, but they actually don't get it.

EBB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:59 pm

bwphantom wrote:
I have 13& 11 yr old Daughters. I have banned Myspace, youtube, Pm sites and the like....

[If only] Australia or even the world had more lateral/moral thinking parents like bwphantom in regards to the internet.

P.S For all the teenagers who think it's harsh, well I'm sure I understand your objection - as you're born into this age of technology. But, the elders know better, so respect our view, as we've already respected you.

edit:
www.worldbookonline.com
firbank
library

[e-library]www.proquestk12.com
firbankg
elau

Last edited by EBB on Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:23 pm

I agree with BWP, kids have forgotten how to play and need to be entertained all the time.

We restrict the 10 year old's computer time to 1 hour per week, provided all homework is done, and there is no access to the internet unless we vet the site (he only wants to play games anyway). Even though he has friends with mobiles, he will only get one when he goes to high school as he will have to travel on public transport.

Haven't got to the MySpace etc. stage yet, but even at work we had to remove access to MSN as we had staff spending all day messaging friends

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:30 pm

DTM, unless you have kids you have NO idea what you're talking about!

Telling a parent they're being harsh when they're only trying to protect their own flesh & blood....How old are YOU more to the point?

Well done BWPhantom!

DTM you need to GROW up, fair dinkum!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm

That's a fair call, BW, and I applaud you for taking the stance.

I became all but addicted to the internet in late 2003 and really haven't stopped since, simply because it is my direct link to Collingwood and football, and since my friends. It's hard to know where to draw the line, although I think that kids (13-14 and above) should be entitled to a mobile, however I can see where you're coming from.
EBB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 pm

hmmmm children and mobiles! Recently I saw 7 or 8 yr old girls with mobile phones. They were with parents but I'm not going to tell you what they attempted to take pictures off!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: