Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's going on!!!???

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing... what concerns me is not just the incident itself, but a) the fact that it was planned in advance, and b) the fact that they showed so little remorse afterwards by trying to make money off it.

You can blame society, peer pressure, or whatever, but the fact is the sentence doesn't seem to send a strong enough message about these kinds of actions.

Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm

spoljar wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Because the system has as its central theme, rehabilitation, not some primitive revenge urge instigated by mass hysteria.

So how many of you sat through the Court case and listened to all the evidence put before the court and then listened to the Judge's summation before coming to a conclusion?

Anyone?

Mate, I am all for rehabilitation, but I also believe there has to be an adequate deterent against commiting crimes.

Have a look at these couple cases and perhaps you will understand why most are frustrated with the judgements handed out:
http://palsforjustice.com/?p=119#more-119

You totally miss the point.

If you didn't sit through the entire case and listen to all the evidence as it was presented and then listen to the Judge's summation, how do you know the sentence wasn't an adequate deterrent?

When did you become clairvoyant?

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Frank Stone wrote:
spoljar wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Because the system has as its central theme, rehabilitation, not some primitive revenge urge instigated by mass hysteria.

So how many of you sat through the Court case and listened to all the evidence put before the court and then listened to the Judge's summation before coming to a conclusion?

Anyone?

Mate, I am all for rehabilitation, but I also believe there has to be an adequate deterent against commiting crimes.

Have a look at these couple cases and perhaps you will understand why most are frustrated with the judgements handed out:
http://palsforjustice.com/?p=119#more-119

You totally miss the point.

If you didn't sit through the entire case and listen to all the evidence as it was presented and then listen to the Judge's summation, how do you know the sentence wasn't an adequate deterrent?

When did you become clairvoyant?

To be honest Mate, I really dont care what the evidence was and therefore dont have to be a clairoyant. What I am saying is that in my opinion, sentences that are handed out are completely inadequate.

Perhaps, the framework that a judge works within is completely inadequate. For me mate, the first priority is a deterent, than rehabilitation. Far too many people, continue to break the law over and over again (eg drunk drivers) before they are finally handed out a proper jail term after the 6th time.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm

The fact that the offenders were under 18 had a very big part to play in this. The courts are loath to put kids in youth detention centres. Just ask any cop who suffers groundhog day syndrome, arresting the same juveniles over and over again seeing them turned free each time.

Unfortunatley, sticking them in youth detention is only going to make them worse in a lot of cases.

Looking at it in the abstract, I can see both sides of the argument. But like I said earlier, if it had of been my daughter.............I'd be the one in custody.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: