Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Merchandise and Memorabilia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm
Post subject: Thomo's Medal Comes HomeReply with quote

Eddie has secured a great memorabilia deal including the return of Len Thompson's Brownlow Medal.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-secures-treasure-trove-of-rare-football-memorabilia-including-len-thompsons-brownlow/story-fni5f6hd-1227037891807

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So now the club that treated him so terribly gets to keep the medal Big Len earned with his own sweat, skill, and courage and had to pawn off for pennies to put food on his table. That seems like a terrrible injustice - but you know what? I reckon that's the way generous Big Len would have wanted it. Well done Eddie.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:07 pm

It feels like Thommo is coming home now. And on a day that is Peter McKennas birthday, I cant wait to tell him and the (Thompson) family about it.

Peter McKenna and Len Thompson share the 27th of August as their birthdays. Len was born in 1947 and is exactly one year younger than Peter born 1946.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 pm

I just love my football club - thanks Eddie
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 am

Same story different emphasis:

From the Age: An anonymous benefactor & Magpie supporter has donated over $1.5 million worth of memorabilia to the club:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpie-fan-donates-15-million-memorabilia-collection-20140826-108t32.html

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

I just shake my head sometimes.

Happy birthday to Peter McKenna and Len Thompson for today.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 am

This is good news.
A good contrast to taking a load of photos to the tip in the mid 70s because the past was supposedly weighing us down.
Let's continue to indulge in and celebrate our rich history.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:38 am

uncanny wrote:
This is good news.
A good contrast to taking a load of photos to the tip in the mid 70s because the past was supposedly weighing us down.
Let's continue to indulge in and celebrate our rich history.

Good call.

I was watching Mal Michael on Open Mike the other night and he was asked to compare Brisbane and Collingwood and Mal said (from what I remember) that whilst Brisbane had the far, far superior facilities (remembering we were still at Victoria Park when he left) Collingwood just had this great sense of tradition and history which he also loved.

We should always embrace this wonderful clubs history and blokes like big Len who added so much to it and who despite his differences with the club always remained a magpie to the end.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:48 am

Tannin wrote:
So now the club that treated him so terribly gets to keep the medal Big Len earned with his own sweat, skill, and courage and had to pawn off for pennies to put food on his table. That seems like a terrrible injustice - but you know what? I reckon that's the way generous Big Len would have wanted it. Well done Eddie.

Len loved the club. I saw him and his daughter at a pies family day a couple of years prior to his death.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:37 pm

The Weed wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Len loved the club. I saw him and his daughter at a pies family day a couple of years prior to his death.

Len was on the board of The New Magpies from 1982 and served as a committeeman for several years.

Len is pictured here to the left of former captain and club legend Terry Waters at the promo shoot for the signing of David Cloke in 1983

It is also an interesting fact that Len Thompson's debut and last game were both Preliminary Final thumpings, the first at the hands of Essendon in 1965 and his last to Hawthorn in 1978. Len also passed away 42 years to the day after his debut in that 1965 final.

The circumstances of Len's debut are somewhat infamous as he had actually contributed to his being selected in 1965 in a most unfortunate way. Training at Victoria Park during the week was going along as normal and Len was on standby for the team as most of the big men were injured. Coach Bob Rose ask Len if he would do some marking practice with Ray Gabelich down in the goal square at the Yarra Falls End. The young and spritely Len was in fine form taking spectacular grabs over the man mountain that was Gabo when suddenly everything ground to halt.

"What are doing Thompson?!!" bellowed out Bobby Rose "The marking practice is for Gabo!!!"

Embarrassed, Len took up his position in front of Gabo and awaited the kick to come in over his head. The earth literally shook with oncoming stampede and at the very last minute Len decided that his personal well being was being severely compromised here and took a life saving step to the side. Within moments the mighty Gabo came crashing to the ground and an almighty crack could be heard as far afield as Studley Park. Gabo had broken his ankle and now the just turned 18 year old Len was playing in a Preliminary Final.

Len Thompson is the second most decorated individual player in the history of Collingwood FC behind Nathan Buckley. Neither man managed to win a premiership however and each would give up everything else for just one flag.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Video Of Him Winning it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvRpIXfjdg0&list=UUDXC2ogMIiQW-KtB9Sbed7A

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Flashman wrote
Quote:
Brisbane had the far, far superior facilities

paid for by Wayne "Fairy Godfather" Jackson with our money
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:44 pm

BEST Ruckman the Pies have ever had, IHO, had it all, fast, quick, great mark, could get tapouts anywhere, had pace too. He had it all, taken from us far too early, one hell of a Magpie, im blessed to have seen him at his best, early 70s. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:33 pm

In a season with-out much to happy about.
Reading the story of the collection and it's donation to Collingwood put a smile on my face.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm wondering what they're going to do with Brownlow and Premiership medals won by other clubs.

Will be interesting to see if Ed gets them to their clubs home or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24   

Jump to: