Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

McGough misses out again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 5:29 am
Post subject: McGough misses out againReply with quote

HE WAS ROBBED!!!

Nick Riewoldt is this week's rising star nomination.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 5:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Kristin we expect this type of BS from the AFL. Who needs them thuckers anyway.

I never caught up with u about brissy...did u find a place to view game???

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:22 am

Yep. Watched it at Adrenalin, slightly delayed (9:30pm) on Fox Footy. I lost interest though, because we were playing so badly (and I was getting sms score updates from Elvira and Hoggy - so I knew it wasn't gonna get any better!)

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:33 am

this is getting f*cking ridiculous...he was a BOG in front of 85,000 people against the second best side in the comp...**** me who does he have to get on his knees to, to get a nomination?!?!

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 7:15 am

Couldn't agree more. What does McGough have to do to be nominated? Have 60 posessions and kick 15 goals! I mean the kid wins the ANZAC day medal and still misses out? What a joke!!!

GO PIES!
Marg

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:04 am

Hey guys, I was unsure about the selection process, so I emailed the AFL in my lunch break:

Dear Sirs

I am inquiring regarding the Rising Star Nomination process. Could you please advise whether the nomination decision is made by a panel of judges (and if so, who is on the panel) or whether it is a decision made by the AFL.

I look forward to receiving your response shortly.

Regards,

Kristin van Delft

I received this response about 15 minutes ago:

Kristin
The weekly nomination comes out of the AFL's Football Operations group meeting on a Monday morning. This group reviews all football matters for the weekend and then plans for the week ahead in the game. there are about 10-12 people who attend with the senior ones being Andrew Demetriou, Rod Austin, Jill Lindsay, Jeff Gieschen, Kevin Sheehan, Michael Conlan, Dean Moore and myself. The end of year winner is voted upon by the AFL All Australian selection committe from the 22 weekly nominations.

regards

Patrick Keane
AFL Media Manager

I then sent a 'thank you' as, although I don't like the process (or more specifically, who sits on the panel), I am impressed with the quick reply:

Dear Patrick

Thank you for your prompt response. A group of us were unsure of the process, and you have clarified this for us.

Regards,

Kristin van Delft

I have now just received the following:

I presume you were asking about Mark McGough. His name was certainly discussed and we fully expect him to be nominated very soon, on the basis of the form he has shown in two games so far. it was felt though that Riewoldt playing centre half back in a side missing so many key players, and playing so well himself, was the best effort of the weekend by the eligible young players.

And how did he know I was a Collingwood supporter, I hear you ask?!!! Easy! I used my magpies.net email address (with pride!)

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:10 am

And I just sent this:

Patrick,

I too hope, and indeed expect, McGough to be nominated soon. His work rate and consistency, against quality opposition in Hawthorn and Essendon, has been outstanding. I also would have thought that as McGough 'shone' in a side including class players such as Nathan Buckley and Scott Burns, that this would have indicated to the panel just how good this kid is (rather than starring in a less-talented team, in which it would be easier to stand out)? Just a thought...

Regards,

Kristin van Delft

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:14 am

Took the words right out of my mouth Kristin - that would have been my reponse.

They're obviously very sensitive to Collingwood people asking about the selection process at the moment - and so they should be.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:17 am

One more point though.

Mark McGough not only stood out against experienced champions in his own team, he was best on ground in a blockbuster event involving Collingwood and Essendon.

At 17, in his second AFL game, he beat the best of two teams loaded with champions.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:21 am

Mike, that's why I used the general term "quality opposition in Hawthorn and Essendon".

And did you see my 'plug' for magpies.net? C'mon everyone - as you can see, using this email address certainly seems to get the results/desired response!

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:30 am

Well I know it's a quality email address and you know it's a quality email address - the question is, how do we convince everyone else.

Thanks for the plug

...and I hope you had a wonderful birthday...old lady

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 9:47 am

Hey, hey, hey!!! Enough of that sort of talk! "Old lady" indeed! How rude!!! No more 'plugs'...

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:29 am

I did not watch all the game (Suck Kilda vs Swannettes), but I can not even remember Nick Riewoldt's name being called being mentioned by the commentators. Mark McGough was certainly more prominent in my opinion.

I wonder how much it costs us all for those 12 people to get together and get it wrong like they do week in, week out.

Rule 1. Barrack for Collingwood
Rule 2. See rule 1.
Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

CARN DE PIES!
Greg J
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:37 am

riewoldt was good in his game, but mcgough was superb in front of all those people and against one of the 'best' teams in the league.

don't worry though, he'll be nominated at some stage this year. and he might win the damn thing.

Jars458 

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 12:01 pm

He was not best on ground

He won the Anzac Medal

This is awarded for showing the characteristics of the Anzacs and not being the best on the ground.

Many people had him only third or fouth best.

he WILL be nominated at a later date

They tend to take more than one performance into account. Some players last year were nominated when they had a poor game because previous weeks' performances were taken into account.

It hardly matters WHEN a person is nominated anyway as the judging panel votes on who has had the best SEASON out of the 22 nominees.

So, just stay calm, it will all come out in the wash.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: