Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

An evening with Clokey and Lones

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:49 pm
Post subject: An evening with Clokey and LonesReply with quote

On Saturday night Deb and I fronted up at the Australian Italian Club for the Northern Tasmanian Collingwood Supporters Group function where we were promised that we'd get to meet two of our brightest young stars, Jason Cloke and Ryan Lonie. Deb came under suffrance as a replacement for Nick who seemed to think that a Tool concert had a higher priority. In all fairness to Nick, I should add that he had his ticket to the concert long before the Supporter Group function was definite.

It was a very enjoyable low-key, informal function with President Ricky (Tassiepie) leading Lones and Clokey through the five matches so far this season and getting their impressions on each and then the pair taking questions from the floor. I was particularly impressed with the way thay handled themselves. They showed great maturity and tact in fielding some of the more controversial questions, without being dismissive. They made themselves available all night to anyone who wanted to sit and chat with them and treated every supporter from 5 to 90 with a respect, friendliness and openness that is unusual for kids of their age. It was the first function that either of them had attended without a more senior player present, but they handled themselves as if they had been doing it for years and were great ambassadors for the Club.

A great night, good company, good food and it was all Collingwood - what more can you ask.

Footnote: The foundation stone by the door of the club was laid by "The Minister of the Australian Affair" in the best Austalian Italian english.

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a great night Mike and to hear that the guys acquitted themselves so well.

I am pretty sure I have read that the club has gone all out to educate our players on how to conduct themselves in these and other public situations. They also ensure that after we identify a young players skills we interveiw him to ensure that they are quality people and we have been concious as a club of recruiting upstanding citizens. We then avoid the "Nigel Lappin" like incidents.

These young men are a credit to themselves firstly, then to their parents and the club.

Having quality people like these at our club will build a solid foundation for future prosperity.

I for one am looking forward to the future.

Cheers

Dillo

"The journey is the reward"

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:03 pm

It sounds as though you had a great night mike, well done.

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:42 pm

....and due to the quality of these two young blokes (and the rest of the Collingwood players) this is the type of news story I doubt we will see written about OUR guys!!

SA clubs in hotel brawl
5:30:55 PM Mon 29 April, 2002
Alan Shiell
afl.com.au

Adelaide and Port Adelaide confirmed today players from both clubs had been involved in a verbal and physical altercation at a suburban hotel near Football Park on Sunday night.

At least six players from each club were alleged to have been involved in the incident, in which punches were thrown after some verbal taunts and some pushing and shoving between 8pm and 9pm at the Ramsgate Hotel at Henley Beach, less than 24 hours after Saturday night’s Showdown XI clash.

Unconfirmed reports say that very high-profile players from both clubs were “hammering into each other”, that there was broken glass on the floor of the bar and the incident was “disgraceful … quite shocking” and had spilled out on to the footpath.

Adelaide issued a statement late today which said in part: “Both clubs have investigated the incident and are aware that from a verbal exchange an altercation developed.

“Fortunately no person was injured and the incident dissipated quickly.

“The players involved have apologised to the hotel and the hotel’s patronage for the incident, and the hotel’s management have said as far as they are concerned the incident is over.

“The Adelaide Football Club have spoken to the Adelaide players involved and they have been stringently reminded of their responsibilities to the public, the game and the club.”

Port’s statement said in part: “We have spoken with the players involved and gathered all the facts and believe the altercation was short-lived.

“The players involved and the Port Adelaide Football Club apologises to management, staff and patrons of the hotel.

“Our players are well aware, and have been reminded again today that as Port Adelaide players they have a responsibility to themselves, their families, the club and the game to present themselves in an appropriate manner at all times.

“The hotel’s management has said that as far as they are concerned the incident is over. The matter is now closed as far as the club is concerned.”

John Reid, Adelaide’s general manager of football operations, said his club had not made any decision on fining any players but it was an option.

“Anything we do will remain in house on that one,” Reid said. He said suspension was “not even a consideration”.
“We’re not trying to cover it up,” Reid said. “I just want it put into perspective. It is not a major issue.
“We want to get on and play our game against Richmond (at Colonial Stadium on Sunday) and that’s what we intend to do.

“Once this finishes today, from our club’s perspective, the matter is closed, it’s closed from the hotel’s perspective, it’s closed from the Power’s perspective.”

When asked about the possibility of Port imposing any penalties on its players, the club’s football manager, Rob Snowdon, said: “We work under a code of conduct as most AFL clubs do and certainly Adelaide do, and anything along those lines, that’s in house.

“But at this stage I’m not looking at any penalties, other than progressively speaking to the players to make sure they understand their responsibilities.”

Doska 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:00 pm

having played soccer for victoria against south australia i know how the scum are up in that dump of a state suffer both teams should have been shot by the bartender that would have been great!

tassiepie 

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:50 am

GOOD TO SEE YOU HAD A GEAT NIGHT MIKE.I THINK EVERYONE WENT AWAY FROM THE NIGHT HAPPY AND THE CLINIC ON SUNDAY FINISHED OFF A FANTASTIC WEEKEND.THE BOYS WERE A CREDIT TO THE CLUB AND THEMSELVES AND NO DOUBT THE CLUB WILL BE GLAD TO HEAR THAT AS WELL.

molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 12:51 pm

Just wish two things:

1:That I could have gone but living down here in Hobart and not getting back from Melbourne just after 5pm on saturday, I couldn't drive up north. Could there be a meeting(where senior players attended-if it happens again) next time down here in Hobart??
If not I will try to make it up there next time,provided I can find a place to stay*lol* anyway sounded like a good night. well done to all.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2002 Joint V.C*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: