Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Election

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock McPie wrote:

they're no good if you are management.

Correct

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Jock McPie wrote:
~Madness~ wrote:
Im a labour girl, but the unions really really really shyte me to tears. They are good for somethings, but in my industry they are good for wanting to get paid but not work... great job if you can get it...

they're no good if you are management. they just become an obstacle to transformation and necessary change. oh and with the partnership approach you can't go to the toilet without consulting them.

they're great if you are a comrade.

I had to work thru the partnership approach in the 90's. Rolling Eyes Talk about a system designed to ensure that nothing happened except for union officials dining out at businesses expense.

I'm guessing the NZ public serice with helen clarke in charge would be a shocker.

Never mind Jock, you'll be back in Aus soon and once Johnny puts kevvie back in his box and the coalition retains government you'll have at least 4 years of prosperity. Plus there'll be the free fireworks when a few posters heads explode. Wink

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Hang on Stui, LJ (Little Johnny) has already stated that if he retains power, he'll stand down within two years and hand over to Bud Costello.

Then what?

Hooked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Abbot becomes deputy PM? Laughing
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Imagine that!

'Who runs Australia now?'

'Oh, Abbott and Costello!'

Who's on first then?

Hooked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:03 pm

What?
bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:13 pm

Northern Pie wrote:
As you may have noticed I hate them all, I think they are all corrupt but OMG I just watched Rudd Tank in his very first press conference since the calling of the election, he was shocking and told Australians nothing.

Agree. Going by that conference and this thread, Howard is comprehensively more impressive than Rudd orally.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:
~Madness~ wrote:
Im a labour girl, but the unions really really really shyte me to tears. They are good for somethings, but in my industry they are good for wanting to get paid but not work... great job if you can get it...

they're no good if you are management. they just become an obstacle to transformation and necessary change. oh and with the partnership approach you can't go to the toilet without consulting them.

I had to work thru the partnership approach in the 90's. Rolling Eyes Talk about a system designed to ensure that nothing happened except for union officials dining out at businesses expense.

I'm guessing the NZ public serice with helen clarke in charge would be a shocker.

Never mind Jock, you'll be back in Aus soon and once Johnny puts kevvie back in his box and the coalition retains government you'll have at least 4 years of prosperity. Plus there'll be the free fireworks when a few posters heads explode. Wink

unions here were bundled out a few years ago and only starting to claw their way back and are getting a little more influential as the clarke years roll on. the psa (public service union) is by far the strongest but still pretty tame compared to what australia is used to. the unions roll over here fairly easily cos they know the hand that's feeding them.

always interesting at election time here that psa advocates political neutrality but always hands out fridge magnets supporting labour.

every year we get shafted and get some token yearly increase that is way less than the annual cpi rises but most of the muppet members only see the dollar signs knowing they won;t get performance based increases and accept it.

every new collective bargaining contract gets you a few hundred $$ windfall for signing up to it but all that does is cover the fortnightly subs and see a whole lot of benefits eroded but sold to the muppet members as gains in other areas. Evil or Very Mad

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks for your support. I've heard that about labor before.
Dale61 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:23 pm

bucksisgod wrote:

Agree. Going by that conference and this thread, Howard is comprehensively more impressive than Rudd orally.

Going by the image I posted, Costello certainly seems to think so!

Hooked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:48 pm

bucksisgod wrote:
Northern Pie wrote:
As you may have noticed I hate them all, I think they are all corrupt but OMG I just watched Rudd Tank in his very first press conference since the calling of the election, he was shocking and told Australians nothing.

The next few weeks will be interesting to see whether Rudd can actually stand up and stand for something and answer questions without having pre scripted answers provide by advisors. They're already jokes about how he has a tendancy to take over interviews and ask himself the questions he wants to answer and ignore or waffle to those he doesn't.

Personally I think he defines Muppet.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:56 pm

Jock McPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:
~Madness~ wrote:

unions here were bundled out a few years ago and only starting to claw their way back and are getting a little more influential as the clarke years roll on. the psa (public service union) is by far the strongest but still pretty tame compared to what australia is used to. the unions roll over here fairly easily cos they know the hand that's feeding them.

always interesting at election time here that psa advocates political neutrality but always hands out fridge magnets supporting labour.

every year we get shafted and get some token yearly increase that is way less than the annual cpi rises but most of the muppet members only see the dollar signs knowing they won;t get performance based increases and accept it.

every new collective bargaining contract gets you a few hundred $$ windfall for signing up to it but all that does is cover the fortnightly subs and see a whole lot of benefits eroded but sold to the muppet members as gains in other areas. Evil or Very Mad

Unfortunatley, from memory, the legislation Labour bought in over there when they got back in, dealt the unions a seat at the table whether workers wanted it or not. When I was over there in 2000, all of the workers I spoke to were disparaging of the unions and thought Australians were wimps for the way they let the unions run things instead of standing up for themselves. Not a good way to engender support when people are effectivley forced to use them for negotiations.

Also, since NZ has no senate, legislation tends to swing far more dramatically IMO than in australia, so I'm guessing the unions over there are trying to make themselves relevant without being radical or biting the hand that feeds them because they're only one election away from being bascially outlawed if they rock the boat too much.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks for your support. I've heard that about labor before.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
bucksisgod wrote:
Northern Pie wrote:

The next few weeks will be interesting to see whether Rudd can actually stand up and stand for something and answer questions without having pre scripted answers provide by advisors. They're already jokes about how he has a tendancy to take over interviews and ask himself the questions he wants to answer and ignore or waffle to those he doesn't.

Personally I think he defines Muppet.

He doesn't have to do or say anything, as someone else said a few years ago "a drovers dog could win this election"

The libs will be reduced to a rump and one of the reason will be the Unions IR campaign, how ironic is that?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jock McPie wrote:
~Madness~ wrote:

Unfortunatley, from memory, the legislation Labour bought in over there when they got back in, dealt the unions a seat at the table whether workers wanted it or not. When I was over there in 2000, all of the workers I spoke to were disparaging of the unions and thought Australians were wimps for the way they let the unions run things instead of standing up for themselves. Not a good way to engender support when people are effectivley forced to use them for negotiations.

Also, since NZ has no senate, legislation tends to swing far more dramatically IMO than in australia, so I'm guessing the unions over there are trying to make themselves relevant without being radical or biting the hand that feeds them because they're only one election away from being bascially outlawed if they rock the boat too much.

i joined a union here because a) that's all i knew in oz and b)lack of experience with nz employers. my experience with union delegates have shown them to be quite weak and not worth it.

interestingly enough, the bargained contract effectively becomes the contract offered to individuals who choose not to join a union, they just don't pay/receive the perceived perks.

mmp here is another topic altogether and we have a situation where the party who would have won on two party preferred is actually the opposition. some of these pissant minor and irrelevant parties, as you would expect, went with the incumbent to form government.

the nationals (liberal equivalent) will take over at the next election unless the govt really does choose to buy the votes. they are sitting on record surpluses and have not provided tax breaks for years.

what seems to happen is there is voice for change, the momentum builds but as soon as election time hits people get cold feet and go with the devil you know. sound familiar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 2 of 55   

Jump to: