Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#19 Cameron Wood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong but Josh may well be on his last legs, due to chronic knee problems, leaving Jolly as our only established ruckman. Therefore we need Wood as insurance. I've been disappointed at his slow progress, but historically it often takes until age 24 or 25 for a ruckman to finally get their act together. Cam has natural talent, but needs to take a few angry pills imo. I'd definitely keep him for one more year, but if he doesn't show some serious improvement by the end of 2011 then it would probably be time to move him on.
Madmac 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Patience Grasshopper
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 pm

LOL remember the last incompetent dud Carlton loaded our ruck division up with? If Carlton wanted to get rid of him it means Hampson is no good.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
He has the Potential but I don't think he will ever put it together. Lack Intengables

Intengables can be glued on I've heard.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm

mackasmatt wrote:
Leuenberger all look like good use of a high draft selection.

Leuenberger's struggling as much as Wood at the moment, given where he was taken.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:41 pm

How old is he? I'm happy to hang onto him until he's 25. Some of these blokes take years to develop. Some other club, with some patience, will pick him up & develop him into a good player.
ronniebeast 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 am

He is frustrating - but look at Jamar who has had a v good year at Melbourne. He's taken ages to get there...
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 am

Far too early to make an absolute call on Wood.

As others have noted Ruckman take years to develop (Jamar et al). We need to stop making absolute judgements based an a few games or 1 game.

People were singing his praises after an Adelaide & West Coast Game last year. 204cm ruckman don't grow on trees. Woods is a good kick for goal, & surprizingly good with his hands in tight situations for a very tall Ruckman & a not unreasonable tap ruckman. Has the potential to take a good grab which he needs to do a lot more of & to learn to impose himself on games. He is bulking up & needs some more.

Having Jolly with us is the perfect mentor to develop his game. He very well may not turn out but IMO far far too early to make a call about Wood or the pick 14.

As Manuel said in Faulty Towers: "Eventually"

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:13 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
May yet develop and should be persisted with. Has given glimpses of what he's capable of in a few games. I think his main problem is between the ears and a lack of pace. He is a far better development option going forward than spuds like The Bear ever were.

So what you are really saying is that he is dumb and slow.

Greaaaaaaaaaaat.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Cameron Wood is 23. You don't expect a ruckman to be a star at 18 but 23 is almost halfway through his football career. Almost every really good ruckman that the Pies have had in my lifetime had proved their worth by the time that they were Wood's age.

Monkey was a Premiership ruckman at 21. Len Thompson was 18 when he first played for Collingwood and earned his place from day one. Peter Moore didn't really take over as first ruck till Thommo left, when Moore was about 22, but he had already given us good service as a full forward. David Cloke was a good ruckman for us but had been a star centre half forward for Richmond at about the same age as his son Travis won a Copeland for us. Nobody seriously considers using Wood as forward, even when Jack Anthony and Chris Dawes are dropped to the twos.

"Jerka" Jenkin and Bob Heard who were good ruckmen without being superstars and Wes Fellowes, who was good enough to play over a hundred games had all earned selection before they turned 22. Josh, for all of his subsequent injury problems, had a couple of good seasons as a very young player.

I hope Wood can come good but I reckon that should have by now and I have little faith that he will.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Cameron Wood is 23. You don't expect a ruckman to be a star at 18 but 23 is almost halfway through his football career. Almost every really good ruckman that the Pies have had in my lifetime had proved their worth by the time that they were Wood's age.

Monkey was a Premiership ruckman at 21. Len Thompson was 18 when he first played for Collingwood and earned his place from day one. Peter Moore didn't really take over as first ruck till Thommo left, when Moore was about 22, but he had already given us good service as a full forward. David Cloke was a good ruckman for us but had been a star centre half forward for Richmond at about the same age as his son Travis won a Copeland for us. Nobody seriously considers using Wood as forward, even when Jack Anthony and Chris Dawes are dropped to the twos.

"Jerka" Jenkin and Bob Heard who were good ruckmen without being superstars and Wes Fellowes, who was good enough to play over a hundred games had all earned selection before they turned 22. Josh, for all of his subsequent injury problems, had a couple of good seasons as a very young player.

I hope Wood can come good but I reckon that should have by now and I have little faith that he will.

Agree, I wonder how many of our coaching and recruitment staff would have planned for Wood to be struggling in the VFL halfway through 2010? Of course the answer is none.

Anyone who sticks to the 'big men take time' line and thinks the current situation is ok, is simply in denial. Something we are especially good at here! (waiting for the abuse to start...)

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Cameron should be playing alongside Jolly for his development. Fraser will not get better from now on, he reached his best a few years ago and is clearly on his way down, just can't jump or mark.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Dr Pie wrote:

Melbourne's Jamar is 25 and in his 7th year at the Demons, and this year is the first time he's been able to cement a spot as their ruckman. He's been one of the games best rucks this year. Maybe Wood won't make it, but he's shown glimpses of talent imo, and certainly enough for us to be a little patient. As i've said earlier, I reckon we should give him one more year and then evaluate his development then.
nathan92 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:12 pm

cameron woods future; hopefuly not at collingwood
Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:28 pm

nathan92 wrote:
cameron woods future; hopefuly not at collingwood

I have been very critical but I hope his future is a dual Brownlow medal winning triple premiership player!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 9 of 19   

Jump to: