Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Somethings brewing!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find there will be something in mainstream publications next week or at the very end of this week along those lines.
Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:36 am
Post subject: Re: Somethings brewing!Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
Shhh keep it quiet,

Like posting it on several public bulletin boards quiet?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:02 pm

While I understand that this could be a good thing in encouraging other homosexual footballers to be comfortable with their identity, etc, I don't see the necessity for footballers to 'come out' (how exactly would they do this anyway, a media statement?)

Someone's sexuality is their private life, and there's no need to let the media use and abuse it. I don't care if our players are straight, bi, gay or whatever, it just doesn't really matter. However, once the media discovers that Player X is gay, that is how he will be known for the rest of his career. You'll get people on one side falling over themselves to praise him to be seen as politically correct, and people on another side secretly despising him because of their innate homophobia. Your local tabloid will always have a footnote in articles about this player, referencing the fact that he is gay. A minority will actually view him purely as a footballer.

But, that is the way the world (and the media) works these days. We have to know about Wayne Carey's extramarital relations, Nathan Buckley's wedding, Ben Cousins substance abuse, James Hird's sofa and Player X's sexuality. These are all symptoms of the same problem.

We really should aim for a situation where people are simply respected for who they are. But, perhaps I'm being impossibly idealistic.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:55 pm

What was the name of that NRL player who came out? Big bloke, was on dancing with the stars earlier in the year? Confused

Regardless, I'm sure there are sections of the media who know who any gay footballers are and have chosen not to "out" them. Unfortunately, it is the price of the current celebrity fascination. It's really no one elses business, but it doesn't work that way.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Could be a new form of AFL pillow talk. Razz
bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What was the name of that NRL player who came out? Big bloke, was on dancing with the stars earlier in the year? Confused

Regardless, I'm sure there are sections of the media who know who any gay footballers are and have chosen not to "out" them. Unfortunately, it is the price of the current celebrity fascination. It's really no one elses business, but it doesn't work that way.

Ian Roberts mate, tough bastard too. I couldnt be less interested in whether a player prefers hotdogs to Tacos. Just to clarify, I'm a staunch fan of taco Shocked

member34258 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:25 pm

FFS, we've known that Turdy was gay for many, many years.
Why the big fuss now?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm

bucksisgod wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Ian Roberts mate, tough bastard too. I couldnt be less interested in whether a player prefers hotdogs to Tacos. Just to clarify, I'm a staunch fan of taco Shocked

Laughing Don't worry mate, I figured you'd much rather spear the bearded clam than be the pommel horse in a game of nude leapfrog Wink

bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Hahahahahaha Laughing , nice analogy( no pun intended )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: