Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lights on in the daytime ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you drive with your car headlights on in daylight ?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 21

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:53 pm
Post subject: Lights on in the daytime ?Reply with quote

Do you drive with your car headlights on in daylight ?

If so, why ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't. Although I am aware that a lot of new vehicles I'd seen that were subject to a lease arrangement had a "lights always on" feature, suposedly for additional safety.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:40 pm

No, indeed if I'm driving in the evening, I tend to wait a little while before I turn them on. What's the point of driving with your lights on when you can still see perfectly clearly?
member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Yes I do.
David you do not take into account people seeing you. You may be able to see OK, but if you have a dark car on a dark asphalt road, the idiots coming towards you may not see you and end up on your side of the road.
I would love it to be legislated that headlights are switched on at all times, the road toll would decrease without the need for extra Police or speed cameras.
I have been traveling home at night and overtaken people only to have the vehicle coming towards me have to take to the dirt. Simply because it was dusk and they were too idiotic to flick a switch.

and for the people who think that there bog standard Commodore is a Volvo and that parking lights are sufficent, wrong again. Volvo's have DLR's that are a special high intensity globe that shine better than parkers.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 pm

The idea of having lights on during the day is to increase your visability to other vehicles. Motorcycles have their headlights hard-wired to be on all the time for this reason.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 pm

During the day, I have my headlights on high beam, which also lights up my 500 watt spotties that are mounted to my bullbar.

At night, I drop down to low beam, but put on my 200 watt fog lamps, which are (illegally) mounted behind the grill.

That way, when I plough into the side of you when you pull out in front of me, you can't use the 'I didn't see him' excuse.

Hooked
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:48 pm

the car i drive has auto headlights so they come on whenever in bad light and of course in the citylink tunnels.
Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:27 pm

Dale61 wrote:
During the day, I have my headlights on high beam, which also lights up my 500 watt spotties that are mounted to my bullbar.

At night, I drop down to low beam, but put on my 200 watt fog lamps, which are (illegally) mounted behind the grill.

That way, when I plough into the side of you when you pull out in front of me, you can't use the 'I didn't see him' excuse.

grat

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm

if it's raining, yes, if the light is bad (i.e. cloudy overcast day) and if i'm travelling on country roads.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Lol my car is a revolting 'beige' colour, so I guess I'm ok Wink
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Dale61 wrote:

This is probably a Dale attempt at humour but if it isn't one wonders how many accidents are caused by this kind of yobbo behaviour.

From the NRMA's Open Road: Using fog lights

Judging by The Open Road's mail bag, nothing irritates drivers more than being dazzled by motorists who are not using their lights correctly.

The biggest complaint is about drivers who have their fog lights on in normal conditions. Not only is this dangerous because it can temporarily blind other motorists, it's also illegal.

Australian Road Rule 219 states that: "A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver's vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user."

Don't use your fog lights - it's illegal to use them unless visibility is poor and they are not designed to direct light towards oncoming drivers. The glare from fog lights is irritating for other drivers.

http://www.openroad.com.au/motoring_roadsafety_headlightssafefeature.asp

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
spikey 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:16 pm

yes, specially in overcast weather, rain , hail, dusk or dawn and even at times when sunny cause at times other drivers,
bike riders etc
do not seem to look or if they do they think oh they are far enough away i can pull out now when you are really close enough to T-bone them
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:23 pm

My previous car was en ex-telstra Nissan Patrol with the headlights on feature. There was about a 10-15 second delay from the time you switched off the ignition 'til the lights went off. I just about went crazy with people telling me, as I got out of the car "Your lights are on".

It has been proven to reduce accidents although even in my BIG Nissan with the lights blazing I still could have sworn I was invisible at times.

Cars don't kill people, stupid people kill people!

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Only if its bad weather during the day I not for the life of me understand why in broad daylight, in very bright sunshine people drive with their lights there is no need for it.
spikey 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 pm

some times there is in bright sunlight i found this when traveling on a very flat section of road to shepparton while waiting to be able to overtake someone doing 40 in a 100 zone ,you get that mirage effect on the road and if the cars coming towards you had their lights on you could see them better with out lights it was too hard to tell to be able to overtake safely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: