Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anti-WorkChoice protest fills Melbourne streets

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragme wrote:
Children as young as 3 are used to gain political points today. What does that achieve and what effect on the childs development?

I would like to see a long term study on the education and employment outcomes of this group compared to a control.

Anyone looking to do a PHD?

A child that was born "still birth" was used to gain political points by Tony Abbott today.
I expect you will be suitably outraged

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:49 pm

How?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
David wrote:
member34258 wrote:
David wrote:
Uh one problem...

how could they possibly know the election date? Shocked

Not "them" David. Me.
And you know I'm always right.......

True Wink

I hope its a little bit later, I don't want to be sitting in my exams thinking about who I'm going to vote for...

you already said who your voting for

did I? haha oh well I guess it would have been kind of obvious anyway Razz

Really, it only comes down to the leaders. I can't split Liberal and Labor when it comes to policies, so I think the difference will be the respect I have for Howard contrasted with the extremely annoying Kevin07. Still, would be nice not to think about it during the end-of-year exams...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:14 pm

A a percentage of population density, they got a shit pile more people up in the bush protesting about the proposed goulbourn river pipeline to Melbourne.

Famers are bulldozing trees, harvesting crops prematurely that are dying so they can use them for hay and literally stringing themselves up from trees and the Victorian government wants to pipe more of their water to Melbourne.

Blame workchoices when the price of food goes thru the roof because farmes have no water.

member34258 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:32 pm

You know nothing of the proposal to pipe water from this area.
If you did you would know that the proposal includes $1 billion of upgrades to take our antiquated water system.
At the moment for every 100 gigalitres of water that flows into the irrigation system only 74 gigalitres is actually delivered. The $1 billion upgrade will deliver worlds best practice of 96 gigalitres for every 100.
These facts are always conveniently overlooked by the right wing protesters. Who incidentally, used kids as young as 4 to push their point of view! How terrible is that?
The water to be piped to the city is coming from those savings, at NO COST to our local water communities.
It's a good deal, backed by the Food Alliance Committee.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Considering farmers in the area have had their water allocations slashed, wouldn't it make more sense to update the antiquated delivery system, saving the 20% loss due to evaporation and use it to increase their allocation back to a level where they can actually irrigate crops rather then spend money piping it to Melbourne?

And since when does wanting farmers to have water become a right wing ideology? Confused

member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:42 am

The problem is that none of the water authorities have the $1 billion dollars required to update the system. I thought that was clear in my first post.
The $1 billion is going to come from the State government, and yes, higher water rates for Melbourne consumers.
As I have stated before, try and get some facts into your argument before posting a rabbit version of the media shock headlines.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:26 am

Ohhhhh. Touchy are we.?

Get some facts?? Just because some BS alliance reckons it's a good idea doesn't mean it is.

I come from the Murray area, I have family that worked for the Water Resources commission in NSW for a combined 40 years. I think I know a littl about the subject of water in the bush.

The Murray is at the lowest point i've seen in over 30 years. They are going to send enough water down the Mulwala canal to let farmers fill up dams and that's about it. No water for irrigation.

So explain to me again why it's a good idea to spend money piping water away from the area that needs it rather than invest in upgrading the infrastructure alowing water savings that could be utilised by farmers and other rural communities that are on stage 4 water restrictions an letting any excess flow into the rivers and tributaries?

And as far as
Quote:
The problem is that none of the water authorities have the $1 billion dollars required to update the system

What about the $10 billion federal plan to do the whole Murray Darling basin which is proposed to save up to 2500 gl, 50% to irrigators and 50% to environment and river health.

Obvioulsy the main reason Victoria didn't sign up is that they wouldn't have been able to pinch 75gl out of the system and pipe it to Melbourne

The other thing is that all these savings (on both sides) are based on the "typical amount of water flowing thru the system. ATM, there is nothing like the typical amount, so nothing like those "savings" would be realised. With the system under the kind of stress it is at present, "savings" aren't additional or surplus water to play with, it would go only part way to addressing the current deficit.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:12 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
member34258 wrote:
David wrote:
Uh one problem...

how could they possibly know the election date? Shocked

Not "them" David. Me.
And you know I'm always right.......

can we do it a different day? i'm busy on the 17th Wink

Looks like Johnny reads Nicks as well. You got your wish PP.

Sorry Member, guess you weren't right on this one. Wink

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:13 pm

lol, yeah, i called him up and told him that there were quite a lot of us busy on the 17th lol
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:15 pm

I'm also busy on the 17th, so another week of Howard won't stress me to much.
Just means the party on the 24th will be huge!

Here's the fix.
http://www.7is7.com/otto/countdown.html?year=2007&month=11&date=24&hrs=18&min=00&sec=00&tz=local&title=Howard%20gets%20turfed%20in...&lang=en&show=dhms&mode=r&cdir=down&bgcolor=%23CCFFFF&fgcolor=%23000000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: