Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Howard - it's time!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on one point - fixed terms are probably more desirable than the current situation in Australia. Whether that be 3 years, 4 years, or even 5 (as it is in Britain) is another question.

True that we don't directly elect our leaders, but I still think it's a better system than the American one... and, for all intents and purposes, we know who we're voting for anyhow (yes there could be hypothetical situations where this didn't occur, but convention dictates that they wouldn't occur.) Anyway, I prefer the idea of electing a party rather than an individual. Takes a bit of focus off personality and charisma.

kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Howard or Rudd??? What a choice!!!

Glad I don't have to.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:49 pm

member34258 wrote:
It needs 4 year terms stui. A mandatory start and finish time, not elections called on the whim of a leader who thinks he/she can win.
And of course the leader does not have an electorate as all Australia is hi/her electorate.
Yes, if you have gone for the top job then after your time is up you retire and therefore am not a hindrance to the new guy.
No problem with the party winning power continually. Thats what makes the American system better than ours. The opposing sides must make concessions to get anything done. Balance.

I'm with you on the fixed term. Agree completely.

On the mandatory retirement of a leader after 2 terms, I'll chew that over. I see it as having benefits and drawbacks.

On the popular electing of a leader, I'm with David, I prefer our system of electing local members rather than just having a personality contest otherwise you have the potential to end up with shallow figureheads with no idea how to govern.

member34258 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:12 pm

I think you should have a good look at local members, on all sides, and then ask yourself, do we really want these people deciding our leader?
I prefer to have the people elect our leader. After all, most leaders elected under the present system are done so by back room factional deals. How is that better than us electing someone?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:11 am

member34258 wrote:
I think you should have a good look at local members, on all sides, and then ask yourself, do we really want these people deciding our leader?
I prefer to have the people elect our leader. After all, most leaders elected under the present system are done so by back room factional deals. How is that better than us electing someone?

Not much difference in the end. Political parties are only going to choose the leader they think has best chance of winning, basically same thing happens in the US... you end up with one Democrat and one Republican. The people don't get to choose which two end up in those positions, do they? (I'm not really up on the American political system)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:18 am

member34258 wrote:

Not the ideal system I agree, but at least they are choosing a leader from within their ranks who they think has a clue as opposed to a public popularity contest over who has the most charisma and best speech writers.

That's also why this election will be closer than the polls make it because the polls ask about preferred prime minister whereas when people vote they consider more than national issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: