Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#18 Darren Jolly

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Didcos435 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jolly becomes availble we have to throw everything at him. He is a very good ruckman.

I don't think we can just get the deal done in a straight swap. Sydney will lose a ruckman, and they will want one in return.

Jolly to Pies
Wood to Sydney
1st round pick to Brisbane
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Could work...

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
Didcos435 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:31 pm

Imagine the benefit recruiting Jolly would have on Josh Fraser. That's why he is worth a 1st round pick.
uey 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Jolly is a very very good ruckman.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Lets just say that we are not going to get Jolly through some second rate deal. We are going to have to give up something for him and seeing that our bargaining position is weak considering where we finished, we may have to look at a first rounder.

He has been quite outstanding over the past 3 seasons averaging about 20 hitouts a game and is one of the better tap ruckman in the comp with a strong body.

What Collingwood has to weigh up is:
1. How far away are we from a premiership as Jolly is now going to get into the best years of his rucking career for the next 5-6 years.
2. What do we believe we can get for our Pick 12 in this years draft.
3. How good do we believe the depth of our squad is in each position.
4. Where are the weaknesses and are we able to recruit th right players for it with pick 12.

I know what my answer would be with those 4 issues. Sydney, pick 12 is all yours!
luvlicca Virgo

Oh Nicky your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:42 pm

I tend to agree that we should be doing everything we can to woo Jolly to the Lexus Centre. In saying that, I wouldn't be offering up Bryan, and as it stands with Richards, unless Mick has changed his thinking I think he will still be around. So I think that pick 12 and perhaps some like Ben Davies etc.. could be added in as a sweetner.

It's not that I don't like Ben, I do think he is a great footballer, but I cant seeing him getting another crack with the Pies as their seems to be too many others who are getting a spot ahead of him.

I also agree that Jolly would be a great asset to the team in regards to Josh. If the two of them were on the park at the same time fit and on target, we would be pretty impressive. All we would need to do then was bolster our midfield!!!

pace 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:19 pm

You know what wrong week to talk about this. Im not interested in him at all. After he and his team gets smashed this weekend then we can consider this. But right now, how can we even think of getting a swan.
You will see how crap Jolly is on Sat night.
Well hopefully lol.
The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:24 pm

Didcos435 wrote:
Imagine the benefit recruiting Jolly would have on Josh Fraser. That's why he is worth a 1st round pick.

We would effectively get a ruckman and a ruckman/key forward (Josh) with the one swap.

Having a genuine ruckman in the team would enable us to use Josh as he should be used. As a champion relief ruckman.

So it would have double the effect having a genuine ruckman like Jolly in the team. Although I think we should not be isolating ourselves to just Jolly. There are plenty of other ruckman out there that we could be chasing.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:52 pm

I'm a bit confsed. Jolly is a great ruckman and Bryan and Richards are crap accouding to most people, yet Bryan and Richards beat Jolly 2 weeks ago. Confused

Swans got Jolly for Pick 19 apparently, either an early 2nd round or late first round pick. In 2 years there he's developed so much he's still a 2nd ruck yet people suggest we give away our first pick for him? Confused

I wouldn't give away our fist pick for anything short of a good quality first ruck thanks.

If we're going to get Jolly or someone equal, either trade players directly for them or indirectly for a draft pick we can then trade on. Two young kids we don't need to someone else who does. We've got young Mid's coming out our ass at the moment and some may have to make way come draft time anyway.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
...We've got young Mid's coming out our ass at the moment and some may have to make way come draft time anyway.

Bye bye Ryan Lonie.
fraser25 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Reasons he shouldn't be considered.

- At 26 his most disposals per game in a season is only 10 (this year). Modern football demands more from ruckman than just taps.
-He's only two years younger than Licca whom you all say is finished. Three to four years too old imo. We should be getting someone younger than Josh so as not to create conflict.

If we're gonna give up someone decent in a trade we should be targetting someone like Mark Seaby. More agile, better mark, better skills, similar tap work ability (hitout stats aren't as good due to limited game time), three years younger.

I also don't mind Jason Laycock, who cares who he plays for, the guy can move and is a modern big man. Also a similar age to Seaby. His tap work is improving, doubt Bombers would get rid of him but they do have Hille, Ryder and Gumbleton all at least 197cms. Wouldn't have to give up someone exceptional, perhaps a Ryan Lonie, Rhyce Shaw or Nathan Brown.

Another one I'm interested in is Fabian Deluca, not yet given a chance with Port Adelaide and they have two excellent Rucks. Don't know enough about him. Still just 20, could be a dud though who knows.

Cameron Wood is too slow imo, just not agile enough for modern football. Winning a Rising Star nomination means next to feck all, Matty Lokan once won one. I wonder if there is some sort of Brisbane admiration involved in the suggestions of recruiting him.

So in summary, those are the only three I would consider, Seaby, Laycock and Deluca. TBH I think it would probably be better just to pick up the best ruckman available with pick 12 though.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm a bit confsed. Jolly is a great ruckman and Bryan and Richards are crap accouding to most people, yet Bryan and Richards beat Jolly 2 weeks ago. Confused

Swans got Jolly for Pick 19 apparently, either an early 2nd round or late first round pick. In 2 years there he's developed so much he's still a 2nd ruck yet people suggest we give away our first pick for him? Confused

In the 4 Years he was at Melbourne he was averaging 5 possessions and 9 Hitouts a game. In the 3 years at the Swans, he has averaged about 9 touches a game and 21 Hitouts. Therefore the value of what his primary function is, has certainly gone up in three seasons.

As for the game against Collingwood, you will find that it was Everitt that got badely beaten that night with only 6 touches and 8 hitouts. Jolly still managed 12 touches with 23 hitouts which is a pretty good night. Bryan wasn't hugely influential that night but Richards did have a good one with 16 Touches and 18 Hitouts.

Still you cant just look at one night, you have to look at the contribution of Richards for the past 2-3 years compared to Jolly and you will see its a non contest! Richards has given us a handfull of decent games over 7 season. If he is going to come good, I would love to know when. Atleast Jolly now has the runs on the board!
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Did someone say we should go after King?
I hope that was a joke because, it worked!
I laughed so much that my shiraz ended up all over my new shirt.

Rudeboy was spot on; it is time to seize the moment.

We are in the eight second year running whilst rebuilding our list and playing 9 rookies. That's pretty damn good list management however you care to look at it.

We have two weaknesses that must be addressed:

1. The Ruck: Josh is the best we have and Richards is second best. Bryan is hopeless. Josh desperately needs a back up and fast before he expires.
Jolly solves this problem immediately.

2. Midfield: still overly reliant on Burns and O'Bree. We have some great midfield prospects: Pendles, Clarke, H. Shaw, Thomas and Goldsack (yes I'd love to see him on a wing or ruck-roving).

Come 2008 and beyond our midfield/onballers look to be less of a problem.

Let's pull out all stops for 2008/09.

Get Jolly.
Give Sydney Pick 12 and Ben Davies and Ryan Lonie.
We could throw in Toovey as a sweetner.

Last edited by Neil Appleby on Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:21 pm

They might have.
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:31 pm

No way would we trade our 1st round pick, **** no!!! we will get that missing inside mid we so desperately need. I wouldnt mind Selwood, hard bull and a ball magnet.

Forget Jolly if its going to cost us a 1st round pick.

Trade 1 or 2 of

Licca
OB
Lonie
Holland
Obrian
Egan
Richards

and our 2nd rounder for jolly and thier 3rd rounder or forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: