Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 551, 552, 553 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine is awae overseas.
He asked me to water his garden while he is away.
I really didn't want the responsibilities of watering a garden but being of generous heart I reluctantly agreed.
I watered once in the first week, forgot the second but on the 3rd week I noticed something (apart from all the dying plants in his garden)...
Down the back of his block there is a 8 metre long, 2 metre pool, hewn from the basalt by one of his crazy friends.
This friend has been digging this hole for over 2 years, mortared and sealed it against leakage but guess what?
There isn't enough rainfall to get more than a foot or 2 of water of water, even in winter so the whole enterprise was a monumental waste of time.
He had started digging a moat around the pool after the Hobbit hole under under the pool idea was well and truly scuppered.
My mate got so sick of the digging/rock haulage (and crazy schemes) he threw him off his land just before he left.
Digger has left the town but his parting shot was to fill the pool with over 50,000 litres of tap water and left the hose running.

After I realised what Digger had done I've been there every hot day since.

Drinking whisky from a deck chair and swimming in crystal clear water
errr... I mean doing my mates watering, is all I have planned for the next 2 daes...

FMED it's hot up this way.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Managed to do a bike ride into the city and back before it got too hot.
About a 25km round trip, with stop for coffee at Southgate.

Knackered and hot by the time we got home. Thanks goodness for those shady spots along Gardiner's Creek and a bit a cloud cover.

Off to the library this arvo, then to one of the local pools later on when the 17 year old gets back from the movies.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:27 pm

3.14159 wrote:
I really didn't want the responsibilities of watering a garden but being of generous heart I reluctantly agreed.
I watered once in the first week, forgot the second but on the 3rd week I noticed something (apart from all the dying plants in his garden)...
Down the back of his block there is a 8 metre long, 2 metre pool, hewn from the basalt by one of his crazy friends.
This friend has been digging this hole for over 2 years, mortared and sealed it against leakage but guess what?
There isn't enough rainfall to get more than a foot or 2 of water of water, even in winter so the whole enterprise was a monumental waste of time.
He had started digging a moat around the pool after the Hobbit hole under under the pool idea was well and truly scuppered.
My mate got so sick of the digging/rock haulage (and crazy schemes) he threw him off his land just before he left.
Digger has left the town but his parting shot was to fill the pool with over 50,000 litres of tap water and left the hose running.
errr...
I mean i'll be doing my mates watering for the next 2 daes solid...

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:47 pm

3.14159 wrote:

errr... I mean doing my mates watering, is all I have planned for the next 2 daes...

I could handle a dip in that type of pool. Sounds wonderful.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Heard this on the radio this morning. Fantastic listening.

An interview with an American author Andrew Solomon who is talking about his latest book:

"Far from the Tree: Parents, Children & the search for identity".

This is an amazing tale & he is a wonderful speaker & "the radical humanity that can exist in some families" to quote the interviewer:

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/01/lms_20150102_0905.mp3

I'm not sure if it made me happy but was mesmerised for about 50 minutes in this guys tales.

He's written a book about how parents have had to make meaning with such events as their children doing all sorts of things: From the Columbine "massacre" to other (sorry about being a bit Tim & Debbie here) amazing / incredible stories such as parents of a child who has dwarfism.

If you have the time I'm sure you'll be stimulated too.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:05 pm

3.14159 wrote:

Keep in mind if that water isn't moving it'll get stagnant soon enough. Maybe see if you're able to rig up a sand filter with a pump and chuck in a bit of chlorine.

Otherwise, enjoy hell out if it while you can.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:44 pm

Just had the first swim in my pool. Very Happy

Goddamn that water was cold, but refreshing. Very Happy

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Keep in mind if that water isn't moving it'll get stagnant soon enough. Maybe see if you're able to rig up a sand filter with a pump and chuck in a bit of chlorine.
Otherwise, enjoy hell out if it while you can.

Went round there (bottle in hand, smoke in pocket) a few hours ago.
Gardens not all-together as dead as I'd thought,... but the pool is.
Gone down nearly 2 feet in 2 days and is full of blue green effing alge!!!
It must have a leak. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the advice.
I'll pass your suggestions on but I think the leak is going to make chlorination and sand filters a mute point.
Embarassed
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

^

Bugger.

Don't give up on it. Couple of solar panels, some PVC pipe and a pool filter off ebay and you can rig up a combined filter/pump and water feature.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:32 pm

And forget algae killer. Just whack in a shit load of chlorine. It's the only way. Never again will I let my pool go green. It's sooooo much work getting it back!

Stui, have you put algaecide in your pool? You can get stuff that you dose every three months, believe me it's worth it. I have the date on my pop up calendar, and I do it a week before it's due.

Ps three, might be worth the work, that looks like a cool site! Enjoy!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:51 pm

^

All I've put in mine is Chlorine. I test it everynow and then, went for a swim this arvo and it didn't kill me. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 pm

If your daughter is swimming in it, get the ph right. Or on the low side. Trust me.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Question Question Question

Huh?

I ignored the PH reading. What's up?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:34 pm

High ph, stings, not good for um pipes, or the filter pipes.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 pm

There is a bucket load of rain heading directly towards my place.
It should be hitting the outskirts of Melbourne in about 1/2 an hour.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 551, 552, 553 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 552 of 866   

Jump to: