Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 676, 677, 678 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Independence Day was pretty tame, some cool outfits though!
Went to the 9/11 memorial and museum, no words to describe it, so very sad

Went down to times square for the fireworks but it started pouring, so back to the hotel, which has a roof top bar!

Today did some bus tours, tomorrow of to Boston. I know everyone says you need longer to see New York but gees, it's so fast and rude, I've seen enough! It's been an unforgettable experience though. Cheers

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:11 pm

^

Good stuff.

I don't have a lot of desire to see NY or the East coast, I like the West Coast.

Next time I might go inland a bit but if I do decide to go to NY it would only be for a couple of days.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:50 am

/\ 3 days was brain overload, but I don't like cities much anytime!

Yesterday we hopped on open top double Becker tour buses pretty much all day. Drove through Harlem, which is no where near as grotty, dark, as the tv shows portray it. It was interesting hearing all about rent assistance etc, kinda like those public housing high rise flats on prime land in Williamstown. The homeless situation is no where near as bad as central San Francisco. And they dont hassle you much at all. They do things like hold the door for you at Maccas, and they are not rude if you don't tip. It was interesting but I have no desire to go back there. I was underwhelmed by things like Central Park. The 9/11 memorial and museum are typical of all the other memorials I've seen such as Pearl Harbour: really well done, respectful, quiet, well policed, and not overly sentimental. A lot of areas ban cameras, and all areas in the museum are no flash photography. They filter people in so its not crowded, and no one pushes or shoves. I took a few pics in the (legal part of) the museum, but only posted two outside general shots on Facebook. It just seemed disrespectful to post them. There are tissue boxes around, and well I needed them! There is a section on finding Bin Laden but it's understated, not large. It focuses on the amazing rescue attempts, the heartbreaking selflessness of not just the NYPD and NYFD but everyday people who happened to be there. And of course the desperate search for the missing. It's a sad, but beautiful place of calm in the madness.

Was pissed off at the national museum, the dinosaur wouldn't play fetch! Boring, didn't stay long!

Anyone who does go, get yourself a New York Pass, I got ours before we left on a discount offer, they arrived in Melb in 4 days, and they get you into everything, we didn't spend a cent on tours, bike hire, entry or buses. The subway is cheap and easy, lots of trains. Grotty though! But I hate public transport full stop anywhere!

We are on the Amtrak to Boston right now. Pretty good wifi, layback big seats. Find a red cap at the station, they work for tips, trollied our luggage to the right train before anyone else boarded, so we got the best seats. I tipped $12 for the three of us and the guy was stoked. (I was told $5 a bag, but hubby said everyone else only had a couple of dollars out!). It was worth it, the station is apparently one of the worst in the world to figure out.

The scenery is awesome. And no directions to worry about!

We only have one night in Boston, then fly to Niagra falls, then to Denver for the weekend for the Mecum car auctions. Hubby says we don't gave to attend thank god! He flys out of buffalo earlier than us to get there for the start, so I changed mine and juniors flight so we can stay longer at the falls! (And not get up before the rooster crows!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 am

Got to our hotel around lunchtime, stepped out for some Maccas and OMG, it was scary! We are about 1.5 miles from the heart of the city, great hotel, really horrible area! Big hospital one side, that's ok, the other, we walked towards the crossing and there's a gang of guys on the opposite corner, up pulls a cop car, flashing lights, and they are talking to a guy a bit further on. I was like, OK, taxi! We got Maccas, and then got a taxi, and a taxi back! Now I know why Boston hotels that are central and reasonable are $400 plus a night!

But the tour and harbour tour was fantastic, it's such a beautiful, calm, clean city. It even smells good, the park area is amazing. It's beautiful.

But yeah, out of here early, by shuttle to the airport! There is a correctional facility across the road! It's protected by huge walls and an invisible electric thingy with flags and big warnings!

Had an amazing Chinese dinner, lobster crusted sweet potato sushi shaped! Really good, even the wasabi was nice! Gym and bed, cheers

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Great stuff TP! I'm enjoying reading about your travel adventures.

I've passed my all uni subjects after results were released today so I'm stoked that I got through in the end without any issues, with a distinction for sentencing law, a credit for property law and a pass for corporate law.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Only a pass for corporate law? Don't call Pies4Shaw for a job. Razz
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 pm

What about the other ones?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 pm

My home state - NSW 😎
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Morrigu wrote:
My home state - NSW 😎

Say what? Whereabouts?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Jezza wrote:

I've passed my all uni subjects after results were released today so I'm stoked that I got through in the end without any issues, with a distinction for sentencing law, a credit for property law and a pass for corporate law.

Well done, Jezza.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
My home state - NSW 😎

Say what? Whereabouts?

I'm a Balmain girl - beautiful old terrace in Llywellen St is where I spent my younger years - Dawn Fraser's mum owned our local and it was working class - not the yuppy git joint it is now!!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Ah, bloody sydney snob. Razz
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Ah, bloody sydney snob. Razz

Pffftttt bloody yokel Very Happy

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Jezza wrote:

Wow awesome job, that's fantastic, you should be bloody proud of yourself. Well done

And thanks Wink

Last edited by think positive on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:38 pm

It's 9.36pm, and I'm sitting in my 19th floor hotel room with the full panorama of Niagara Falls as my view. OMG it's amazing. We did the boat ride, wow, behind the falls, it's just so incredibly powerful and beautiful, I will never forget this day.

Cheers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 676, 677, 678 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 677 of 866   

Jump to: