Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 844, 845, 846 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansuite is the best description I can give it.

Dunny, hand basin and mirror, wardrobes, storage, bookshelf, filing cabinet and gunsafe. Ensuite just doesn't work. Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 pm

its a yukky word anyway! it doesnt roll off the tongue! mansuite is better!!!

almost finished christmas shopping - most of it online! i got 8 deliveries today, a couple for work, most for the kids! once in the gym, once in the shower, and then hubby comes running in at about 8 and says quick grab your camera, so ive been running around the street all day in dressing gowns!

Last edited by think positive on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I wouldn't fly to Vegas to see Robbie but if I was there and he was performing I'd be tempted to have a look. Some of his stuff is pretty good.

I'd love to be able to justify to myself flying business class to LA, I guess the "trip of a lifetime" would do it.

The Cosmopolitan looks good. I've stayed at the Aria which is nearby and the Golden Nugget in Downtown. I actually preferred the Golden Nugget, too many stuck up rich pricks at the Aria

If you saw him live you’d love it, a group of us bought tickets to his last trip here to see him at Rochford & again at Mt Duneed estate. A friend’s partner was so pissed that he had to fork out $$$ for 2 shows and refused to go..... until he’d been to the first one. He then couldn’t wait for the next, reckons it’s the best gig he’d seen (he’s more of a harder rock fan). Puts on an amazing show. Can’t wait!!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 pm

Had a lovely day with Mrs WPT today. Doing the garden, went out for brunch, just “being”.

Getting two more hours twice a week for Mum. She now has:

Daily district nursing
Cleaning now twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays
A companion once a week to assist her to shop and some basic cooking

Now to sort dinner a few times a week. 😊

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Had a lovely day with Mrs WPT today. Doing the garden, went out for brunch, just “being”.

Daily district nursing

thats really great news - meals on wheels? no idea if its any good. my dad tried it but didnt like it, but then hes not easy to please!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:31 am

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Daily district nursing

thats really great news - meals on wheels? no idea if its any good. my dad tried it but didnt like it, but then hes not easy to please!

Cheers TP

Meals on Wheels & variations won’t work because she can’t really work the microwave anymore ( she can with prompts) and her entrance is through a roller door ( she lives above and behind a shop & the entrance is through a lane way)

There will be a way but we haven’t quite got it sorted yet.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:34 am

Spin class Saturday morning (first time on a bike since the GVBR finished last Sunday)
In the garden all day yesterday with Mrs WPT, garden starting to look a treat

Rode to Frankston and back this morning: magnificent day; barely any wind at 7am. Rode with two others, one guy stopped at Mordicalloc and had to go back for "family reasons" while I rode with a woman who was on her first ride to Frankston (she rode from Port Melbourne to our starting point in Elwood on Beach Road).

She did a good job too: we were doing about 25km's/hr from Mordy to Franga. She turned off to have breakfast with her Mum who lives in Frankston.

I continued on & did Olivers Hill (got to 62 km's / hour) then return. In Frankston I followed two blokes heading south who were motoring (32-38km's/hr) they in effect dragged me all the way to Edithvale and between Edithvale & Aspendale they burnt me off (I just couldn't maintain it). Stopped in Mordy for Coffee then rode home.

Multiple detours today because of a (mini-triathlon) from Brighton - Beaumauris. As it transpires my oldest's boyfriend did the mini-marathon and came second! Good on him (epecially good as he hasn't done it for a while)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Well done mate, hard yakka!

I did a shoot with 2 little babies Friday, first shoot since I got my studio space back, came out fantastic, so much easier to control the light than in a lounge room!
Yesterday I did a shoot for sisters, 4 and 6. The 4 year old cracked the sads half way through but I got some great shots. I’ve never met the kids or the mum, I was asked to do the shoot by the mum of a some kids that have modelled for me before. The six year old just finished her second year of chemo and radiation. I’m not sure exactly what for. As Fiona did all those years ago when she sliced her face to ribbons, this kid left me humbled, awestruck and when She left, heartbroken. So $$%^%%$ cruel how can there be a god? Kids should get sick like this. Her mum asked me to edit out her nose tube and bandages, it will take a while but I’m determined to do a great job. She sparkled. She glowed with joy. She taught me...so much. 6 years old but so courageous. And I’m left again to thank my lucky stars for my healthy kids. Cheers

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:08 am

Finally,

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/merlino-calls-on-universities-to-make-maths-a-prerequisite-subject-20191210-p53ior.html

The 'woke' studies facilitators are not going to be happy; i'm sure they'll find a sheltered workshop somewhere.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am

^
Because the people who teach woke studies usually avoid having to do basic arithmetic, so they downgrade it while promoting jobs for their graduates.

It has to be a back to basics approach. True intellectual diversity in both academic and academic administrative departments might go along way to improving outcomes.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:27 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you're grouping within "woke studies", but it strikes me that there are plenty of subject areas that don't really require basic arithmetic – or certainly, have no capacity for teaching it at a tertiary level – and that this doesn't make them worthless. Consider, for instance, History, Linguistics, English, Classics, Philosophy, Media and Communications, Film Studies, Political Science, Anthropology, Criminology, Geography, Sociology and Visual Arts, just for starters. I do think STEM is hugely important, but it's not the be all and end all of education.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:08 pm

When I refer to 'woke' studies its generally Humanities departments, who over the last fifty years have been encroaching into other disciplines with compulsory 'sensitivity' courses shoehorned in. Its now become unbalanced to the detriment of students.

I dont see the mathematics professor knocking on the door of the gender studies department insisting they learn how to do statistical calculation and analysis. Ironic since they love quoting statistics but are unable to work with raw data in a meaningful way.

check this guy out.
https://www.theage.com.au/education/in-china-nicholas-studied-maths-20-hours-a-week-in-australia-it-s-three-20191203-p53ggv.html

Now; you might think this guys schooling is out of balance; i'm not so sure.

lets take your list:

Criminology, you will probably need trigonometry at some point to work out bullet angles.

Geography; again, navigation and map analysis requires trigonometry and geometry for map surveys.

Media and Communications; wavelengths and signal flow kind of matter for signal transmission.

Anthropology; statistics and analyzing and compiling raw data.

Im not saying the rest of them are worthless but in today's world less would be more at this point in time.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Needing maths in order to study something like History is ridiculous. Not everybody is inclined towards STEM type subjects both at high school and university.

I'd be more inclined to remove things like "Gender Studies" and other subjective entirely progressive/left social subjects from HECS funding and make them upfront fee only. They add nothing to the country or the participants and are just a propaganda production line.

There are certainly some valuable classes and majors within the arts faculty but too many of those faculties are entirely taken over by the political left. Diversity of opinion, both from staff and students and a vigorous commitment to free speech would go a long way to improving university.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm

David wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're grouping within "woke studies", but it strikes me that there are plenty of subject areas that don't really require basic arithmetic – or certainly, have no capacity for teaching it at a tertiary level – and that this doesn't make them worthless. Consider, for instance, History, Linguistics, English, Classics, Philosophy, Media and Communications, Film Studies, Political Science, Anthropology, Criminology, Geography, Sociology and Visual Arts, just for starters. I do think STEM is hugely important, but it's not the be all and end all of education.

Why buy in to right-wing rubbish for goodness sake.

The bigger issue is that in Australia we place less value on Education than they do in other countries we compete with. Government spending in real terms is down compared to most in the OECD.

At the same time our curriculum is far too crowded, we pay teachers far too little, we expect far too much from our teachers and in some area we seem to set the bar too low.

Listening to right wing self serving rubbish is just that and misses the point entirely that we do not as a society invest enough in public education per se

http://theconversation.com/australians-pay-more-for-education-than-the-oecd-average-but-is-it-worth-it-84002

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 844, 845, 846 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 845 of 866   

Jump to: