Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 830, 831, 832 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The first test. I posted this in other sports but a great article by the impressive Mathew Knox:

"...Here is a frame for the week’s extraordinary events in Birmingham. As they walked up the players’ race to their Edgbaston cricket ground changing room, dismissed Australian batsmen in the first Ashes Test match were told they were cheats and losers who had let their team down.

Grown men – and here, cricket crowds are more male-dominated than most places – jumped to their feet to mock the Australians as cry-babies and hypocrites. This very personal taunting was the up-close focus against a general background of songs and chants, some of it good-natured, some of it the kind of nastiness that is only good-natured in the self-congratulatory minds of those delivering it....
"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/the-crowd-mocked-the-australians-as-cheats-they-responded-with-cricket-magic-20190806-p52e5w.html

Reading quality writing about cricket is simply wonderful.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:41 pm

It was good writing, I read a bit of that this morning including perusing the English papers online which did make me very happy indeed.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 pm

think positive wrote:
Nice!

I met up with my cousin a couple of days ago, And Went to ilfracombe where I was born yesterday, was shocked to find it a tourist hell! Gorgeous but packed solid!
Woke up to Collingwood in the third, perfect!
Today we drove to Cotton End Bedford
The 7 year old who left England never forgot this place, needed to come back....I don’t know why, for closure, to remember, to say hello and goodbye?
We drove up to the still small but no longer tiny town,
I said ‘ there is a church on the left can you please stop, it’s my school’ and there it was and I’m not ashamed to say I ugly cried!
We found the house, the blackberry bushes and the grassed area in from much smaller than I remember. We had a glass of wine at the pub, exactly as I remember it, I asked the three people there if they minded me taking pics and explained why. Turned out one of the guys is 4 years older, we went to school with him! He remembered Mrs Grauchy! We had a lovely time there, then drove around and I’m sure I found the fence I cut my leg on when the farmer chased us out of his hay stack! Took a pic of the air ship hangers my dad worked at, they are a studio now. A day I’ll never forget, cheers

No comment on the "born yesterday" bit. Razz Wink

Going back would have been interesting, seeing today compared to the memories of a 7 year old, everything was bound to be smaller. (you were small then so it looked bigger and that's how you remember it)

happy for you that you've done the trip and gone back and seen where you were a child.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It was good writing, I read a bit of that this morning including perusing the English papers online which did make me very happy indeed.

I'm not sure if it's the same Mathew Knox but a man with the same name wrote a ripper about Israel Folau in the Monthly in the current edition

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2019/august/1564581600/malcolm-knox/hellraiser

K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:02 am

Can't be the same guy, can it? Err... looks like it is. Both are said to have written a book called "The Life".

What did you like about it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:01 am

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Nice!

I met up with my cousin a couple of days ago, And Went to ilfracombe where I was born yesterday, was shocked to find it a tourist hell! Gorgeous but packed solid!
Woke up to Collingwood in the third, perfect!
Today we drove to Cotton End Bedford
The 7 year old who left England never forgot this place, needed to come back....I don’t know why, for closure, to remember, to say hello and goodbye?
We drove up to the still small but no longer tiny town,
I said ‘ there is a church on the left can you please stop, it’s my school’ and there it was and I’m not ashamed to say I ugly cried!
We found the house, the blackberry bushes and the grassed area in from much smaller than I remember. We had a glass of wine at the pub, exactly as I remember it, I asked the three people there if they minded me taking pics and explained why. Turned out one of the guys is 4 years older, we went to school with him! He remembered Mrs Grauchy! We had a lovely time there, then drove around and I’m sure I found the fence I cut my leg on when the farmer chased us out of his hay stack! Took a pic of the air ship hangers my dad worked at, they are a studio now. A day I’ll never forget, cheers

No comment on the "born yesterday" bit. Razz Wink

Going back would have been interesting, seeing today compared to the memories of a 7 year old, everything was bound to be smaller. (you were small then so it looked bigger and that's how you remember it)

happy for you that you've done the trip and gone back and seen where you were a child.

Oops😂😂

Really glad we got up early raced down brekky and got to the Eiffel Tower early, when I booked I could choose 8.30am or 4.30pm, it’s now 4pm and with a boat load of people we are circling the 9 stops because it’s raining that hard you could barely see the Eiffel Tower when we went past it! Seen all I want to see, off to Cologne tomorrow! Cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:22 pm

If you want really good pretty cheap food, more beer than you can handle, and one hell of a fun atmosphere, come to Germany!

Cologne is amazing, fun, vibrant, old new friendly, I love it!

And I just ate my weight in smoked salmon and creamed horseradish! OMG, after the pastries and cheese of Paris I could call this trip breakfast around the world!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I read the first line and thought you were about to say Fremont St in Vegas.

I can't take smoked Salmon, you can have it. Yuch.

Bit into a sandwich at a meeting one time that I though had rare roast beef in it, chewed a bit and asked someone "WTF is that stuff" cos it tasted fkn horrible. They told me it was smoked Salmon, I spat the mouthful of food into a napkin and put it in the bin.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Just did a 1/2 day downhill bike trip. Only 2 others (a young Dutch couple): we were driven to a coffee place where we given a brief tour, sampled some coffee while having a pre-prepared rice flour pancake with banana. Drove to the top or thereabouts of a volcano then driven a bit further. On our (ill - fitting) but fine mountain bikes for 26 km’s downhill: along narrow winding roads, stopping at a local village house, visiting a relatively new apiarist of local bee species set in beautiful garden allotment ( bought some local honey), then ride thru narrow paths slicing thru rice paddies: spectacular. Finished close to where we are staying and had a massive lunch if magnificent Balinese food.

There was: indonesian fried chicken pieces; fish on skewers; a salad of peanuts, green chilli, garlic and onion; a water-spinach dish, corn fritters, a vegetable stew / curry; fried tempeh; rice and noodles. There were two large bowls of sauce: a peanut satay sauce and a chilli sambal sauce. Magnificent: all you could eat. This was followed by some sliced local mango.

A great trip.

Tomorrow I’m doing a 90 km or thereabouts road bike trip with a 1.5 km ascent with a much longer descent. I have my own helmet, gloves, shoes (cleats) & jersey for the ride.

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:29 pm

^

What happened to the meat, fat and no carb diet?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

What happened to the meat, fat and no carb diet?

You forgot the veg. I didn’t have rice or noodles but I’ve slacked off in Bali. Hard to have the nasi goreng minus the nasi.

I’ll get back onto it on Monday when we get back

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Cool, hope it goes well.

You're idea of a holiday though is clearly different to mine. Riding a bike downhill to different food stops I could manage, anything even slightly uphill I want a motor please.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Cool, hope it goes well.

You're idea of a holiday though is clearly different to mine. Riding a bike downhill to different food stops I could manage, anything even slightly uphill I want a motor please.

There’s been plenty of time doing nada, currently I’m by the pool, put the crime fiction novel down and considering whether to jump in or continue to enjoy the tiredness.

Tomorrow morning however I get picked up at 0630. Should be lot’s of fun: I need to get the km’s into the legs as on October 6 I’m doing around the bay in a day fundraiser 210 km’s & I’m less prepared than I was in the last 2 years.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm

think positive wrote:
If you want really good pretty cheap food, more beer than you can handle, and one hell of a fun atmosphere, come to Germany!

And I just ate my weight in smoked salmon and creamed horseradish! OMG, after the pastries and cheese of Paris I could call this trip breakfast around the world!

I love Germany!! Are you going down Munich and the Black Forest way?

Did you see my roundabout and find your way to the Arc de Triomphe?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:09 am

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:

I love Germany!! Are you going down Munich and the Black Forest way?

Did you see my roundabout and find your way to the Arc de Triomphe?

Not Munich, we have another day here at the Nurburgring for a vintage car day, then Stuttgart, and yes, the Black Forest where I intend to severely indulge, and another little town, then Austria!

Yes I found your roundabout! Dead scary, thankfully I also found the stairs you mentioned! I got some pics if th3 Arc de triomphe then we walked down the Champs Élysées, I turned and saw the sun go down behind the arc, and bolted into the middle of the road, I got amazing pics! Hubby eventually figured out where I was and I got a couple of him with th3 sunset too!

I ditched him last night too, on the boat down the Rhine, we were up top and it started pouring, there was about 50 people under a tiny canopy, we went under a big bridge and I saw people run, and realised why, so I took off too! Hubby got drenched!!

I got some amazing pics of Cologne!

Stui, I meant to say you’d love this place, I thought of you, I can see you roaming the streets for a good time! Or 2!

So I’ve had a strong scotch to soothe my poor old ankle which is really being held together by a rebel sport bandage, so I’m going to sleep, I just posted this on face book!

Not sure if we can top today!
First off we went to the LINDOR chocolate factory!
Yes ladies, AMAZING!
There was a button to push on the conveyor and you got a lindor chocolate hot off the press, and while I had to use the universal death stare that told a non English speaking parent “if another one of your children jumps in front and gets my chocolate that’s one child you go home without” I got my chocolate, and then several wafer dips at the LINDOR CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN! I shit you not!
So then we got the hire car and drove to the Nurburgring, I jumped out at the last minute, and took pics while Rod got his kicks at 230KLM AN HOUR!
Don’t try this at home folks!
Back of camera pics, because I’m in this tiny gorgeous German village, and I’m knackered! Cheers!

So a Collingwood win this weekend would make it perfect! Cheers

Go Pies!

Last edited by think positive on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 830, 831, 832 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 831 of 866   

Jump to: