Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 794, 795, 796 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
Gees my kids been out of RMIT Just on 2 years, and she was 3 when you taught there! I’m guessing it’s changed a little mate!

Just what are you suggesting?

That your experience of the place might be a tad outdated!

Lucky, I thought you were calling me old Wink

nothing wrong with aged whisky, old songs and, well Bruce Willis!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:30 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Lovely morning today. Mrs WPT and I picked up the youngest in North Fitzroy & went the Colingwood Children's Farm.

Still much the same when the 25 year old was 21 years younger when we first brought here there.

Nice place, too many kids though.

same as Disneyland!!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Lovely morning today. Mrs WPT and I picked up the youngest in North Fitzroy & went the Colingwood Children's Farm.

Still much the same when the 25 year old was 21 years younger when we first brought here there.

How are this years crop of babies looking?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

How are this years crop of babies looking?

Not draftable. Overly indulged.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Youngest daughter who is doing her Juris Doctor law course (a qualification in law you do when you've got an undergraduate degree) has made it into the grandfinal of oral presentations (in teams of two) put on by a law firm.

It goes something like two students are given a scenario to represent a person who is an actor playing a role & interviewing them.

Her first one was representing a bloke who did not say much other than he was being charged with by police. They needed to extract from a less than informative subject that he was in a pub, another bloke came over and made racist and pretty off comments to his girlfriend or women nearby.

The bloke mouthing off got shirty and the subject sort of pushed him away which inadvertently resulted in the the bloke falling over & hitting his head. Issues such as how to elicit information and explaining such terms as GBH etc

Youngest and her partner needed to get info from the subject while advising him of what exactly he is being charged with etc. In this case GBH

There were some thing like ? 20 pairs. Now there are 2! Well done her. The GF is being done at the law firm in front of an audience.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:53 pm

^

Good for her.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Cheers Stui, she works really hard and she reckons she’s got a great partner. It’s such a competitive environment, she’s loving the participation.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm

In breaking news: Youngest and her partner just won the GF! This will help her employment opportunities. Very proud Dad.

It was held at some legal offices in the Railto with a great view youngest said. They don't get to watch the other team.

The scenario was a woman who had complex issues regarding setting up a business online where she sells fake designer handbags which she spruiks as 95% genuine. Has spent a lot of the proceeds. (Contract law) there were other issues too. Handbags of course allowed the young women to have a relaxed conversation with their client about what could be done, where she might stand with respect to the law and and they could offer the client etc Needed to use law, elicit information from the client etc.

She was gobsmacked.

The audience were employees of this flash newish law firm from the US who had a reputation for poaching a whole team from an established Melbourne Law firm apparently. So they met various staff / players and partners. They won a ceritifcate, a large trophy aand had a bottle of bubbly and networking!!

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:11 am

Great news, WPT. Well done to her!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:23 am

David wrote:

Cheers David, she deserves it for her hard work. A great boost for her.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Just signed up for a Legends Bay membership. Been a while since I've had a membership but the Carlton supporting partner got me one as an early/year long birthday present. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:36 pm

David wrote:
This project (which I've been working on for the better part of six months) finally came together: a dossier on French cinema of the 1970s and 1980s for Senses of Cinema, which I curated and edited (and also wrote two pieces myself). I don't know if many here will be interested, but you can check all of the articles out below if you like!

http://sensesofcinema.com/category/after-the-french-new-wave/

David, I had a look. I looked around the site, contributors, etc, but the only dossier article I've read at the moment is the intro.

It all looks very nice.

How did you get this curating/editing job? I gather you work for a different magazine. Did you apply in response to an ad? Did SoC people know you previously?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks K! That's very kind of you. I'd been writing for Senses for a few years by then (mostly short annotations for Melbourne Cinémathèque screenings), and already knew one of the editors through my girlfriend (they both used to be on the Cinémathèque committee together for many years; the Melbourne cinephile world is a small one, as you can imagine!). That probably helped my cause greatly, as well as the fact that I'd just finished a writing and editing degree at RMIT and completed a couple of editorial internships.

Senses of Cinema is really more of a volunteer position than a job (I get paid a small honorarium quarterly), but I've loved doing it and it has already opened a few doors. It was definitely a factor in getting the magazine job (even though I had only just started at Senses a few weeks before I sat down for the interview there – this all happened very quickly in about May/June last year!), and it's pretty amazing to be editing and writing stuff for a global audience of academics and film lovers. The only challenge is how to fit the two jobs (plus my other casual evening job in customer service) in with family life and having some free time to myself (to do important things like post on Nick's, of course Laughing)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:45 pm

^ Well done David & ur legends membership too. So Lola like me is in a mixed marriage although Mrs WPT is an Essendon supporter.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Cheers David, she deserves it for her hard work. A great boost for her.

great stuff WPT always good when the kids get something they have worked hard for.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 794, 795, 796 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 795 of 866   

Jump to: