Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 780, 781, 782 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to be posting this here but it relates to the jobs theme. In the last 5 years and more our workload has increased exponentially, through the roof.

ED used to get say 140-150 presentations and that was considered a lot.
Now we're getting 200-280 per day.

Mental health presentations have gone through the roof
The number of staff employed has not been commensurate but some of the supports have improved and become more streamlined.
The EFT has increased but we can't get staff to fill the positions.
In the last 2 years about 6 more staff have been employed and only one remains of those 6.

Having said that we recently got a young guy who has some good expernece & he seems the goods. We also have 2 young women on our bank staff who are also very good.

The workload is just so full on and we have had too much micro management as the reasons for people leaving.

I've been at this workplace for 18 years. I don't need the promtions now as I've worked in senrior management and policy and enjoy what Im doing most of the time (the politics) like any job is the hard part

K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The number of staff employed has not been commensurate but some of the supports have improved and become more streamlined.
In the last 2 years about 6 more staff have been employed and only one remains of those 6.

Why have these presentations gone through the roof? Are these voluntary presentations or involuntary?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Good luck with the job Stui.

I resigned from my job on Tuesday.
After 14 years it was time to pull the pin.
Working for a not-for-profit can be challenging but the one I work for is especially so. My current boss is also leaving today (she only lasted 18 months), so everyone freaked out when I announced I was going.

The thought of having to look for another job was a bit daunting, so I have stuck with what I knew despite putting up with a lot of crap over the journey (no salary or performance reviews, dealing with dumb people, individuals outside HO undermining your work). Flexibility with works hours and being close to home were also a factor but that is no longer the case as we moved offices a while ago.

Going to have a couple of weeks off and then start looking for another job.

Time to dust off the resume Very Happy

Go you and all the best, have a good break xxx

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:44 am

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Why have these presentations gone through the roof? Are these voluntary presentations or involuntary?

ICE, Police, Overseas students, police, ambulance, alcohol, both voluntary and involuntary (in Vic sinc 2014 in the new Mental health Act called Compulsory Patients, lack of Crisis Teams (CATT services), inceased population, increased homelessness, cutting goverment housing, better reporting, more people being banged up then released throuugh the magistrates courts on orders, police etc. Mental Health Triage being more defensive, GP's not bulk billing, GP's panicking.... off the top of my head. Some GP's find it quicker and easier to send people to the ED for an assessment whether they are acute or not rather than call the mental health triage number: one classic is you have a person who reports they have been feeling suicidal for years. They have no plan or intent. The GP still sends them in rather than call the triage number where a person can be assessed and if required a crisis team can see them the next day, the day after etc. depending on what the triage clincian ascetains on assessment.

To the list add:

* Less skilled and less staff in care facilities
* DHS disability not giving a phuk and bad behaviour being referred to mental health: eg. there is a Cummunity REsidential UNit nearby.One male resident was given two eggs for breakfast while the person in question only got one. Thy get pissed off & state they want to kill themselves and run onto the street. Police are called, then ambulance, the person may or not be restrained, the person may or not be be injected by the paramedics. Paramedics then look at the psrons medication box and a GP has prescibed a low dose anto psycotic. The person is then tken to the ED. The paremedic then makes a huge asumption: necause the person has been prescribed an anti-psychotic they handover to the ED triage nurse the prson is suicidal and has schziophrenia. The Traige nurse duly writes this down. it is now documented that the situational crisis that it was has become 34 year old male history of schizophrenia tries to suiciee after running into traffic. WE then either see it on the system ot get a referral through pager or telephone. Do out checks & not no sych hx of schizophrenia.

Yes years of training!- refer back to the ED Dr & say this is not acute psychiatry there's a problem we need to fix the problem but this is Social work not acute psychiatry. In the language "the person has learned maladaptive ways to communicate their distress". Mind you what do you do when the person or place refuses to go back or refuses to have them back? These type of issues I handball back to the Dr to sort & suggest options. What do you do when the person say assaults their parents or care providers?

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 am

Again I don't know about being happy or not.

Went for a ride at lunch: great tailwind / cross wind. Rode up Olivers Hill and back. The bike Garmin wasn't charged. Strong, really strong head wind on the return trip (about 40 km's) really hard work today.

Saw a Physio: re the outside of my knees. It's the junction where hammy meets tendons. Need to roll both sides.

Tomorrow he's doing a bike fitting for 2 hours before I go back to work. Hopefully this will also assist.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 am

2hours? What takes so long
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 am

I'm now signed up for three rides in September / October:

1. Bicycle Queensland Tour (2 Septemebr - 9 September Cape Tribulation to Cairns over a week lots of climbing and down hills
https://cycleqld.com.au/?utm_source=bq&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=cq18&utm_content=event_calendar

2. Around the Bay in a Day October 7. 210 km's anti clockwise

Fundraiser for the Smith Family

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/rides-and-events/around-the-bay/routes-prices/210km-anti-clockwise/

3. Daylesford and Spa Country. 27 October , 146 km's and a lot of friggin hiils

http://www.ridedaylesford.com.au/146km-ride/

Fundraiser for Breast cancer

Like Collingwood I'll be looking for new Hammy's and new knees but more importantly a new arse (despite more than ample padding) Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 am

Great stuff, WPT.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 pm

think positive wrote:

Just got back: 90 minutes, $175 later and big changes:

1. He puts these little markers that pick up infra red.
2. He puts your bike on a trainer
3. The little markers are placed on your knees, hips, ankles and shoes
4. He then has a camera that takes images of your motion (cycling) motion
5. He looks at your cleats
(before all of this he just wants you to ride normally to he can see how you ride on your bike -while on the trainer)
6. He puts your shoes on a foot sized pad which has all sorts of measures etc with a place for the cleats to fit into - from the outset he can determine through this device if there are any issues such as size of leg, deviations (I pronate a fair bit on my right side - since the advent of rheutmatiod arthrtitis 21 years ago)
7. Then post the vidoes of both right and left legs he adjusts the cleats and adjusts the bike: now the post has been raised quite a bit , the headstem has been rotated a bit
8. The camera and infrared etc measures all sorts of angles and degrees and range of movement etc from up to down in a rotation so the degree of say where my foot is and the angle of my feet on the bottom of the rotation, the same for the knee and hip etc. His experience & training informs him to what extent I vary (we all vary) and that is measured against what angle range it should be- relative that to the body bits mentioned

On Sunday I'll take it on a ride (weather permitting)

I wear orthotic inners for normal walking but I need to get another pair just for cycling - about $450 - this is like the Marx Brothers "A day at the Races"!

I felt so much better at the physio's with the adjustments. (No head wind)! The proof will be in the riding. It's likely to take a few adjustments & I need to practice keeping my left leg as straight as possible as there seems to be too much variation in single rotation.

This young bloke used to and still does cycle fitness / fitting etc for teams of cyclists and their flash bikes.

That's where the time goes. There's a woman in Fitzroy who spends 3 hours and costs about $480 & does similar.

Ancilliary cover on private health helps although I'll exhaust my limit pretty soon.

(You did ask)!!

Having said all that I need to lose 10 kg or so so I can lose twin peaks and my pillow top Wink Embarassed

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Jezza wrote:
Great stuff, WPT.

Cheers Jezza.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm

watt price tully wrote:
[quote="think positive"]2hours? What takes so long[/quote]

(before all of this he just wants you to ride normally to he can see how you ride and your bike -while on the trainer)
6. He puts your shoes on a foot sized pad whicjh has all sorts of measures etc with a place for the cleats to fit into - from the outset he can determine through this device if there are any issues such as size of leg, deviations (I pronate a fair bit on my right side - since the advent of rheutmatiod arthrtitis 21 years ago)
7. Then post the vidoes of both right and left legs he adjusts the cleats and adjusts the bike: now the post has been raised quite a bit , the headstem has been rotated a bit
8. The camera and inframred etc measures all orts of angles and degrees and range of movement etc from up to down in a rotation so the degree of say where my foot is and the angel of my feet on the bottom of the rotation, the same for the knee and hip etc. His experience & traning informs him to what extent I vary (we all vary) and that is measured against what angle range it it should be- applkf that to the body bits mentioned

I wear orthotic inners for normal walking but I need to get another pair just for cycling - about $450 - this is like the Marx Brothers "A day at the Races"!

Just on the training device at the physio's with the adjustments it felt much better. The proof will be in the riding. It's likely to take a few adjustments & I need to practice keeping my left leg as straight as possible as there seems to be too much variation in single rotation.

THis young bloke used to and still does cycle fitness / fitting etc for teams of cyclists and their flash bikes.

THats wherre the time goes. There's a woman in Fitzroy who spends 3 hours and costs about $480 & does similar.

Ancillary cover on private health helps although I'll exhaust my limit pretty soon.

(You did ask)!!

Having said all that I need to lose 10 kg or so so I can lose twin peaks and my pillow top Wink Embarassed
Did I really?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

(before all of this he just wants you to ride normally to he can see how you ride on your bike -while on the trainer)
6. He puts your shoes on a foot sized pad which has all sorts of measures etc with a place for the cleats to fit into - from the outset he can determine through this device if there are any issues such as size of leg, deviations (I pronate a fair bit on my right side - since the advent of rheutmatiod arthrtitis 21 years ago)
8. The camera and infrared etc measures all sorts of angles and degrees and range of movement etc from up to down in a rotation so the degree of say where my foot is and the angle of my feet on the bottom of the rotation, the same for the knee and hip etc. His experience & training informs him to what extent I vary (we all vary) and that is measured against what angle range it should be- relative that to the body bits mentioned

I felt so much better at the physio's with the adjustments. (No head wind)! The proof will be in the riding. It's likely to take a few adjustments & I need to practice keeping my left leg as straight as possible as there seems to be too much variation in single rotation.

This young bloke used to and still does cycle fitness / fitting etc for teams of cyclists and their flash bikes.

That's where the time goes. There's a woman in Fitzroy who spends 3 hours and costs about $480 & does similar.

Ancilliary cover on private health helps although I'll exhaust my limit pretty soon.

(You did ask)!!

Haysoos H Christ, who knew cycling was so complicated?

With the 10kg, more protein, less carbs (particularly white bread and potatoes and sugar) and less calories

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Haysoos H Christ, who knew cycling was so complicated?

With the 10kg, more protein, less carbs (particularly white bread and potatoes and sugar) and less calories

Well, I don't eat white bread: haven't for a gazillion years but I do eat (far too much) sour dough and rye (grew up on the latter), don't eat sugar although I eat fruit and eat cakes coz my daughters come home and often bake a friggin' cake. I probably eat too many spuds. I eat heaps of protein (I eat cheese, drink cold milk, eat lots of eggs, fish and tofu occasionally ). I eat heaps of pulses and veges. I just eat too much & need to eat less: learn to masticate thoroughly rather than hoover the food!

Did I mention rice and pasta?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Brown rice and wholemeal pasta I hope.

Wink

Plus yeah, that food intake for a day you wrote recently is my intake for 2 days. The reason I struggle to lose weight is I drink too much. Embarassed

K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 pm

watt price tully wrote:
K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mental health presentations have gone through the roof...

Why have these presentations gone through the roof? ...

ICE, Police, Overseas students, police, ambulance, alcohol, both voluntary and involuntary (in Vic since 2014 in the new Mental health Act called Compulsory Patients), lack of Crisis Teams (CATT services), ...

What has changed in this new 2014 Mental Health Act? Is it not the case that neither police nor ambulance can act on their own? I thought that they have to call in a CAT team (though how qualified the CAT member has to be is another question), before any involuntary action can be legally taken. I also take it there is a protocol the CAT member has to follow (e.g. what constitutes conducting an examination of the patient, informing the patient beforehand of this examination and its potential consequences, etc.) before an assessment order can be made.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 780, 781, 782 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 781 of 866   

Jump to: