Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 772, 773, 774 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ They want them to die without other humans being responsible for their deaths... just as I don't wish bad injuries on any AFL players, but if they happen I'd really like them to happen to key Tigers (R&R come to mind).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Just had the grandson, Sharknado, for bit over an hour. His mum has had a tanty and wants to hand the kid over by 6pm on Friday. Problem with that is my son often doesn't get home from work til after 7pm. She doesn't want him coming to her place and she won't drop the kid at his place with who might be there cos she doesn't like getting a lecture. So my place it was.

Kid was wound up like a chinese clock, I can only assume from his normal diet at his mums place of sugar, caffeine and preservatives. managed to settle him down, then he wanted a banana, so I gave him one. After he inhaled that he went into hyperdrive for about 10 minutes before I settled him down again.

Good kid, but geez he's a handful. I'd much rather have him during the day when I can take him outside and let him run amok, but 2 1/2 years old he's already addicted to screens.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 pm

K wrote:
^ They want them to die without other humans being responsible for their deaths... just as I don't wish bad injuries on any AFL players, but if they happen I'd really like them to happen to key Tigers (R&R come to mind).

Yes, I know the rationalization. But when you applaud a death because someone has committed an unspeakable act, you have bought into the concept of ultimate justice. However much I might like having lions on the earth, I consider them no more important than innocent humans.

In fact, having observed a group of lions very, very slowly gnaw a screaming wildebeest to death, including ripping off its genitals while it was fully alive, I think lions are a little romanticized. I dislike safari hunting for many reasons, but the level of sentimentality about animals seems to me to require a certain suspension of mind.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Mugwump wrote:
K wrote:

Yes, I know the rationalization. But when you applaud a death because someone has committed an unspeakable act, you have bought into the concept of ultimate justice. However much I might like having lions on the earth, I consider them no more important than innocent humans.

In fact, having observed a group of lions very, very slowly gnaw a screaming wildebeest to death, including ripping off its genitals while it was fully alive, I think lions are a little romanticized. I dislike safari hunting for many reasons, but the level of sentimentality about animals seems to me to require a certain suspension of mind.

I have to say I can’t watch those national geographic shows. But they kill for food, not trophies and the odds are never in their favour.

**** em, just don’t kill the lions! I’m not applauding their death but I just don’t care.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Why did they do that? I think domesticated cats are really evil, and had thought that the wild variety did not have that evil element. Is that wrong?

Part of the problem with domesticated cats is their owners, who seem to think it's fine for them to slaughter hundreds of thousands of birds a year (for example).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 pm

What do you like?
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:47 am

Mugwump wrote:
Like most people, I cheered this story, and then reflected that most of the people standing and applauding are against the death penalty for humans who willfully kill other humans. We are a strange species.

Really? How many is "most", where did this stat come from?

I'm glad the lions killed them & am also in favour of the death penalty for humans who wilfully kill other humans.

Your post about watching a lion kill a wildebeest.... so? That's what they do, it's nature, kill or be killed. As unpleasant as it is to watch it's what happens in the wild.

Having armed poachers shooting animals that obviously can't defend themselves against manmade weapons is not a fair fight. Would you have preferred the scumbag poachers be killed by the armed rangers whose job it is to protect the animals that can't protect themselves?

As a post on facebook I saw said, it's just a shame the lions didn't stop for a selfie to post on social media like the disgusting cretins that trophy hunt animals do. Hopefully one of them kept a head to mount on their wall.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 am

luvdids wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Like most people, I cheered this story, and then reflected that most of the people standing and applauding are against the death penalty for humans who willfully kill other humans. We are a strange species.

Really? How many is "most", where did this stat come from?

I'm glad the lions killed them & am also in favour of the death penalty for humans who wilfully kill other humans.

Your post about watching a lion kill a wildebeest.... so? That's what they do, it's nature, kill or be killed. As unpleasant as it is to watch it's what happens in the wild.

Having armed poachers shooting animals that obviously can't defend themselves against manmade weapons is not a fair fight. Would you have preferred the scumbag poachers be killed by the armed rangers whose job it is to protect the animals that can't protect themselves?

As a post on facebook I saw said, it's just a shame the lions didn't stop for a selfie to post on social media like the disgusting cretins that trophy hunt animals do. Hopefully one of them kept a head to mount on their wall.

I’m delighted that you support the restoration of the death penalty. It’s loss has been a cornerstone of the historic surge in civil thuggery and murder which has been much discussed on here.

I also stated that I’m against safari hunting on many grounds, and I said that I cheered the fact that the hunter got his mortal comeuppance at the hands of this beast. You seem to imply that I am not. Sorry, but I can’t help you with that.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:15 am

Missed my point altogether, which I can't help you with.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:19 am

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Why did they do that? I think domesticated cats are really evil, and had thought that the wild variety did not have that evil element. Is that wrong?

Part of the problem with domesticated cats is their owners, who seem to think it's fine for them to slaughter hundreds of thousands of birds a year (for example).

The animals aren't evil, they just aren't humans and have none of our emotions, morals and hangups.

The lions would have chewed the wildebeests balls because they were tasty. They wouldn't care if it was still alive or not, it was just a meal.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Oh the lion was just doing what it is programmed to do with an identifiable piece of edible flesh that was exposed when two other lions held the wildebeest down. My only point was that nature is very cruel, and we are unwise to sentimentalise animals.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:30 am

What do you like?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 am

luvdids wrote:
Missed my point altogether, which I can't help you with.

It seemed the least I could do, since you missed my original point by rather more.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:

This is precisely why I don’t cheer stories like this. While some people might do so and still oppose capital punishment, I actually suspect that attitudes to stories like these would tend to correlate with attitudes to the death penalty. That’s because at the core of both is a belief in the value of human life (even for ‘bad’ people) vs an emotive desire to see bad guys get their comeuppance. So I don’t actually think there’s a great deal of cognitive dissonance here at all.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:06 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

This is precisely why I don’t cheer stories like this. While some people might do so and still oppose capital punishment, I actually suspect that attitudes to stories like these would tend to correlate with attitudes to the death penalty. That’s because at the core of both is a belief in the value of human life (even for ‘bad’ people) vs an emotive desire to see bad guys get their comeuppance. So I don’t actually think there’s a great deal of cognitive dissonance here at all.

There is, of course, a sensible middle ground. I don’t cheer for lions that kill people (although it’s hard not to be amused by the tables being turned) but I certainly think that people who go out on safari to kill things and then get killed doing it, even though the odds are so heavily stacked in their favour, probably don’t warrant particular concern. They’re an occasional consequence of stupidity, like people who fall off cliffs taking selfies, the difference being that people taking selfies aren’t doing anything intrinsically wicked (however much it makes us want to puke), whilst people who kill wild animals for fun are often doing active harm.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 772, 773, 774 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 773 of 866   

Jump to: