Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you happy today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Noice, enjoy, is it a 2 or 4 door?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 pm

What a week. Ive been in to the city twice to sort out work and family stuff, visited nursing homes for the inlaws, & lots of those fun family meetings. My MIL is fading fast so both IL are going in next Friday, and my Dad is finally going into a retirement village next week too, (really looking forward to helping them all move & cleaning out their houses, not!). So just before i went to bed i went outside with the dogs and marveled at the clear sky and bright moon! breathe Jo! So i grabbed my camera and screwed up a few shots, googled how to take moon pictures and this was the only photo i took! Pretty proud of this one!! cheers, There will always be a new beautiful moon following every storm!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:39 pm

think positive wrote:

4 Door wagon
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Wokko wrote:
think positive wrote:

4 Door wagon

family car! nice, i thought it was the little 2 door convertible!!

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Wokko wrote:
Just picked this up Very Happy
<pic>

The man or the car?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:41 pm

K wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Just picked this up Very Happy
<pic>

The man or the car?

Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:23 pm

that is funny!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Arrived in Darwin bit after lunchtime today. I'm staying at Palms City Resort on the esplanade, which is wlking distance to most of the stuff to see.

The villa is really small, but nice, with its own balconey overlooking the pool area.

After i checked in, went for a walk for a couple of hours to get my bearings, slow walk as my right hammy is playing up and you could crack brazil nuts on my calves at the moment..

Interesting joint. Its a little like cairns, but a lot nicer and less tacky, I'm struggling at the moment to relate it to places ive been. The first comparison that came to mind will sound weird but it was el Paso. Big joint with no fkn people or cars. Went for a walk down the mall, you could've fired a cannon and not hurt anyone. Restaurents and bars everywhere with 6 or 7 people max. Maybe all the tiurists are at their hotels in the pool or on day trips but if this is peak tourist season, WTF?

I'll get a better idea when i hobble out later to get dinner

Interesting.... look forward to reports. I have never been there and always wondered what it’s like.

Go there. I'll be going back.

So, impressions of Darwin. It's not like anywhere else.

The climate at this time of year could not be better. 32 top, high teens overnight. It's still mid 20's at 10pm and low 20's at 8am. Clear blue skys, minimal humidity, just fkn brilliant.

In attitude, it's a city that was shaped by the 2 big events. The WWII bombing and Cyclone Tracey. But, it's also a big country town. The locals are friendly, chatty and chilled. The city is clean (at least the CBD is) and there's just this general relaxed vibe. Customer service is great, I've seen more people on the streets at 2am in Melbourne than midday in Darwin, and more traffic.

They have a low tolerance for people mucking up in the tourist areas, but its all dealt with very low key.

The Hotel Darwin was about 50m from where I was staying, so I spent a bit of time there. Sat down yesterday in the smoking area out the front with a pint and had a 30 minute chat to the bloke at the table who was a local.

Surprisingly, very few Aboriginals in the CBD. There's a Salvo's shelter up the road which I walked past multiple times to go to the supermarket. A couple of times I saw fall out from obvious domestics, couple of times involving cops, but everything seemed calm and under control, no aggro.

Overall, a big country town that has a chilled attitude and on the surface has it's shit under control, but in an easy going manner. Lots of choices for food, plenty of things to see and do in walking distance of the waterfront end of the CBD or you can just chill. Despite walking about 10km per day on average, I was as relaxed as I'd been in ages.

Highly recommend a visit, in different circumstances I could live there, just not sure I could cope with the Build Up, which is the 3rd season up there, a 2 month period in our spring where it stays dry but the temperature rises to high 30's with humidity around 95%.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:13 am

Good info, eventually we want to do the lap, have to time our visit. Sounds a better option than Qld for a get away. Cairns was like that about 30 years ago, too crowded now.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 am

stui magpie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Arrived in Darwin bit after lunchtime today. I'm staying at Palms City Resort on the esplanade, which is wlking distance to most of the stuff to see.

The villa is really small, but nice, with its own balconey overlooking the pool area.

After i checked in, went for a walk for a couple of hours to get my bearings, slow walk as my right hammy is playing up and you could crack brazil nuts on my calves at the moment..

Interesting joint. Its a little like cairns, but a lot nicer and less tacky, I'm struggling at the moment to relate it to places ive been. The first comparison that came to mind will sound weird but it was el Paso. Big joint with no fkn people or cars. Went for a walk down the mall, you could've fired a cannon and not hurt anyone. Restaurents and bars everywhere with 6 or 7 people max. Maybe all the tiurists are at their hotels in the pool or on day trips but if this is peak tourist season, WTF?

I'll get a better idea when i hobble out later to get dinner

Interesting.... look forward to reports. I have never been there and always wondered what it’s like.

Go there. I'll be going back.

So, impressions of Darwin. It's not like anywhere else.

The climate at this time of year could not be better. 32 top, high teens overnight. It's still mid 20's at 10pm and low 20's at 8am. Clear blue skys, minimal humidity, just fkn brilliant.

In attitude, it's a city that was shaped by the 2 big events. The WWII bombing and Cyclone Tracey. But, it's also a big country town. The locals are friendly, chatty and chilled. The city is clean (at least the CBD is) and there's just this general relaxed vibe. Customer service is great, I've seen more people on the streets at 2am in Melbourne than midday in Darwin, and more traffic.

They have a low tolerance for people mucking up in the tourist areas, but its all dealt with very low key.

The Hotel Darwin was about 50m from where I was staying, so I spent a bit of time there. Sat down yesterday in the smoking area out the front with a pint and had a 30 minute chat to the bloke at the table who was a local.

Surprisingly, very few Aboriginals in the CBD. There's a Salvo's shelter up the road which I walked past multiple times to go to the supermarket. A couple of times I saw fall out from obvious domestics, couple of times involving cops, but everything seemed calm and under control, no aggro.

Overall, a big country town that has a chilled attitude and on the surface has it's shit under control, but in an easy going manner. Lots of choices for food, plenty of things to see and do in walking distance of the waterfront end of the CBD or you can just chill. Despite walking about 10km per day on average, I was as relaxed as I'd been in ages.

Highly recommend a visit, in different circumstances I could live there, just not sure I could cope with the Build Up, which is the 3rd season up there, a 2 month period in our spring where it stays dry but the temperature rises to high 30's with humidity around 95%.

Nice review, cheers. Is there anything to do if you lived there ? What kinds of work do people do ? Maybe you weren’t able to find that much out. Still, I’ll try to drop in there when I do that round Australia trip, one day, that I have often promised myself.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am

Construction and mining seem to be the main industries, but there's plenty of people working in offices up there in the CBD. The only time the streets look busy is around 8am when office workers are arriving and lunchtime.

Bloke I was chatting to on Saturday did roofing work. he occasionaly hires back packers for labour and during the Build up, it damn near kills them until they learn to pace themselves, take frequent breaks and inhale their body weight in water each day.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Sounds terrific
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:51 pm

My Grandfathers Vice is now mounted on the bench. Very Happy

Just had to give the back 48 hours to settle down, then a quick lift and bolt it in place.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 pm

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046586-lions-eat-rhino-poachers-on-south-african-game-reserve/?utm_source=newsletter-20180706-1225&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Lippy the lion and Hardie har har. Or as they say in Thailand Som nom mar (serves you right). Just a pity it was not some american trophy hunter where the publicity would have gone through the roof.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Like most people, I cheered this story, and then reflected that most of the people standing and applauding are against the death penalty for humans who willfully kill other humans. We are a strange species.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 771, 772, 773 ... 864, 865, 866  Next
Page 772 of 866   

Jump to: