Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kerryn McCann, about to give birth,fights breast cancer

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:57 am
Post subject: Kerryn McCann, about to give birth,fights breast cancerReply with quote

I remember watching her win the marathon during the Commonwealth Games, what a magnificent win! And now, here she is pregnant with her third child and diagnosed with breast cancer.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/mccann-has-breast-cancer/2007/08/24/1187462526918.html

McCann diagnosed with breast cancer
Jessica Halloran
August 25, 2007
Australia's Kerryn McCann

IT WAS just over a year ago that marathon runner Kerryn McCann was fighting her way to gold at the Commonwealth Games but now she has a bigger battle in front of her, breast cancer, and is just weeks out from giving birth to her third child.

One woman who can empathise with McCann is breast cancer survivor and Olympic great Raelene Boyle who sent out a message of support to the two-time Commonwealth games gold medallist yesterday.

"I'm sure that everyone in Australia will put out their hands and hearts to her like they did last year at the Commonwealth Games when she won that amazing race," Boyle said.

"At the moment she is going through a terrible time. She would most likely be in complete shock. We know she's a fighter and she'll put up a battle.

"It's not the end of the world even though it might feel like it. There will be better days. It will be tough with her new bub, but there will be better days."

Boyle was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996 and had radiation and chemotherapy to treat her cancer.

McCann, now 40, etched herself into public memory when she defeated Kenya's Hellen Cherono in the final stages of the Commonwealth Games marathon last year. McCann won by just two seconds to successfully defend her marathon title.

Said Boyle: "No one will ever forget that marathon race."

McCann at the time said she had settled for silver until she heard the roar of the crowd. "That wasn't me running that last 300 metres," she said. "I think it's probably the greatest victory I've ever had, or the greatest race I've ever run."

McCann's manager Nic Bideau said she had received positive news from her doctor last week and added that the cancer was treatable.

"She's tough," Bideau said. "All our thoughts are with her."

News of McCann's illness has devastated the athletics community. The Australian team in Japan for the world athletics championships were informed of her diagnosis yesterday.

"We are devastated to hear the news that Kerryn has cancer," Athletics Australia chief executive Danny Corcoran said.

"She has been a teammate of several athletes competing here. We wish her the best. We know she is expecting a baby and we are hoping all goes well for her and her baby. We wish her a speedy recovery if she undergoes treatment."

McCann is due to give birth early next month.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you need to take a astep back, and thank your lucky starts that your own problems are so small compared to challenges others are facing.

Best of luck to you on your recovery Kerryn McCann. You are a determined one so I would expect a great outcome for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: