Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 660, 661, 662 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Morrigu and Mugwump. Smile I met up with the editor the other day and the good news is that the new job starts around the same time as the other one finishes, so perhaps things will be more manageable than I feared.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I'll take the bait.
Who do you think is looking after Ingmar while David works?

Before you put the missus up for judgement David, how long are her shifts? What's the percentage break up of housework? Paying bills? remembering when everything happens? Cooking dinner? Staying up all night fretting over a feverish child? In what way do you think she's isn't pulling her weight? Since you have a child, you know just how full on it can be. I don't need the answer, but maybe it's time for a family powwow. Cheers

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:49 pm

think positive wrote:
I'll take the bait.
Who do you think is looking after Ingmar while David works?

Before you put the missus up for judgement David, how long are her shifts? What's the percentage break up of housework? Paying bills? remembering when everything happens? Cooking dinner? Staying up all night fretting over a feverish child? In what way do you think she's isn't pulling her weight? Since you have a child, you know just how full on it can be. I don't need the answer, but maybe it's time for a family powwow. Cheers

There was no bait Rolling Eyes

My point was, can't working AND looking after Ingmar be shared? As close to 50/50 as possible? This isn't the 50's.

Staying up all night fretting over a feverish child??? Lol. Is that the 'job' of only one parent??
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Of course it can be shared. But is it?

Maybe the total divvy is closer to 50/50. There is only one side of the story here, before taking a shot at the other party I'd like the full story

Paid work, unpaid work, who is to judge the value?

Was it a mutual decision to raise Ingmar without childcare? Reading back David acknowledges the realities of raising a child.

A partnership is two people working together to make the life they want, not necessarily counting dollar for dollar earned.

These days a fair few dads are Mr Mum, do they get judged so harshly?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:50 pm

think positive wrote:
Of course it can be shared. But is it?

Maybe the total divvy is closer to 50/50. There is only one side of the story here, before taking a shot at the other party I'd like the full story

Paid work, unpaid work, who is to judge the value?

Was it a mutual decision to raise Ingmar without childcare? Reading back David acknowledges the realities of raising a child.

A partnership is two people working together to make the life they want, not necessarily counting dollar for dollar earned.

These days a fair few dads are Mr Mum, do they get judged so harshly?

Who's judging who? Seriously, I have no idea what you're on about.

<snip – please don't direct personal comments at other posters.>
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:18 pm

luvdids wrote:
David wrote:
It fluctuates, but here's each day for the next work week, including travel to and from home (about one hour each way):

Monday: 13.5 hours
Tuesday: 10 hours
Wednesday: 6 hours
Thursday: 8 hours
Friday: 7.5 hours
Saturday: 13.5 hours
Sunday: 10 hours

In-between that, I'll probably have to find about 8-10 hours at home to do my third job when I'm not looking after Ingmar. No idea yet what the time commitment will be for the new one.

Shocked Something's gotta change coz that aint healthy!
I don't know what the jobs are but if you need to concentrate I'm sure you wouldn't be able to fully with those hours & the lack of downtime.

Don't know how many hours her one or two shifts are but it's not enough. I also don't know how any "partner" can think that's right, or fair? I use inverted commas for partner as this set up doesn't seem much like a partnership to me.

As an independent woman I couldn't possibly be ok with a partner working that many hours & me not contributing a lot more than one or two days.

Is it ever a discussion? If not, it needs to be. Not healthy & I agree with Morrigu, not sustainable.

Sounds pretty judgemental to me

<snip – please don't make personal remarks about other posters.>

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Wasn't judgement, was disbelief that one person would be working so many hours.

<snip>
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:10 pm

David wrote:
I met up with the editor the other day and the good news is that the new job starts around the same time as the other one finishes, so perhaps things will be more manageable than I feared.

Well that's good news David!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:00 am

What do you look like?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:22 am

I don't mean to make Lola sound bad here. As you say, TP, the work she does at home is very hard in its own right, although it does bug me when other people point this out in a way that suggests they've forgotten that my home time is no more relaxing (perhaps a little understandable if their point of reference is men from older generations who more or less did get home from work and put their feet up). So, yeah, if Ingmar has a fever in the middle of the night, I'm just as likely to be the one getting up to take care of him. I'm giving him breakfast and a shower most mornings, and putting him to bed at night on the nights I'm at home. I'm still doing my fair share of household chores.

At the end of the day, though, our current situation means that she is spending a lot more time at home than I am – and, frankly, it's driving her crazy. As you say, LD, the situation just isn't sustainable. She needs to get a better job not just so I can work less, but so that she can also get out of the house more. It's a win-win as far as I can tell: she never wanted to be a housewife and it's not a dynamic I'm particularly comfortable with either. Sharing the work load and domestic load more equally will surely make both of us a lot happier.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:30 am

David wrote:
I don't mean to make Lola sound bad here. As you say, TP, the work she does at home is very hard in its own right, although it does bug me when other people point this out in a way that suggests they've forgotten that my home time is no more relaxing (perhaps a little understandable if their point of reference is men from older generations who more or less did get home from work and put their feet up). So, yeah, if Ingmar has a fever in the middle of the night, I'm just as likely to be the one getting up to take care of him. I'm giving him breakfast and a shower most mornings, and putting him to bed at night on the nights I'm at home. I'm still doing my fair share of household chores.

At the end of the day, though, our current situation means that she is spending a lot more time at home than I am – and, frankly, it's driving her crazy. As you say, LD, the situation just isn't sustainable. She needs to get a better job not just so I can work less, but so that she can also get out of the house more. It's a win-win as far as I can tell: she never wanted to be a housewife and it's not a dynamic I'm particularly comfortable with either. Sharing the work load and domestic load more equally will surely make both of us a lot happier.

Sounds like you are on the same page as each other so that's great.
It isn't easy finding work that fits neatly with each other and the home situation, hopefully the new job helps with it a bit, good luck to you all, cheers 🍻

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Spending time with the kid is important but the actual work involved by a stay home parent is overrated.

I worked full time and had 2 kids at home. The ex would look after the kids (sort of) but the contrubution to hiusework consisted of making mess. So I had to do it all.

If i could work full time, and do the cooking, washing and housework in basically an hour a night plus some time on weekends, dont try to tell me it's as demanding being a stay home parent as having a full time job. I don’t buy it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm

A stay at home parent should never equate what they do with full time employment, but ultimately it's in a childs best interests to have a parent looking after them rather than various inept, uncaring childcare workers.

Being a stay at home parent lets the kids have a life outside of school/care, allows them playdates and sports and if you're a little diligent, to keep a household in decent shape and repair. (results may vary) Laughing I've never understood why women pushed so hard to enter the workforce like it's some magical place that men went to during the day. Whoever managed to convince us to outsource childcare and trudge off into shit jobs for the same economic outcome as 1 job had previously (supply and demand is an undeniable economic rule, even in labour) should be dragged out in the street and shot.

Last edited by Wokko on Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Oops. Too much data.
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Spending time with the kid is important but the actual work involved by a stay home parent is overrated.

Depends on the kids. Some are easily entertained. Some are nightmares and plain hard work.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 660, 661, 662 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 661 of 719   

Jump to: