Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 659, 660, 661 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
You're also potentially paying far more tax then you need to. You only get to claim the general exemption from 1 employer which means you're paying top rate tax from the other 3.

It may work out come tax return time but not a great way to go if you have a choice, far better to get 1 main job and 1 extra.

One of them is contract work so I only pay tax at the end of the financial year (I usually claim most of it back anyway), and I'm only paying the top tax rate on one of the other two. July's not too far off, thankfully.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 pm

fair enough, as a dad I'll echo what morrigu said, you only have the one chance to spend time with the kids when they're young. Once they get older they only want to spend time with you if you're helping them do stuff so they don't have to pay for it or tapping you for coin.

Are your missus arms and legs painted on? if you're short of coin she can't work part time while you look after the kid?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 pm

^ She does do one or two shifts a week at her casual job but I would like her to pull her weight a little more. Having said that, the more I work, the more she has to look after Ingmar which is really just as hard if not harder. I do still spend a lot of one-on-one time with him, but certainly less in the past month or so.

I agree with both of you that that's not ideal, but we were really struggling for money before I took this extra work on, so there's really no easy answer.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:24 am

To get some perspective, how many hours is each job, including travel?

Last edited by think positive on Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:08 am

It fluctuates, but here's each day for the next work week, including travel to and from home (about one hour each way):

Monday: 13.5 hours
Tuesday: 10 hours
Wednesday: 6 hours
Thursday: 8 hours
Friday: 7.5 hours
Saturday: 13.5 hours
Sunday: 10 hours

In-between that, I'll probably have to find about 8-10 hours at home to do my third job when I'm not looking after Ingmar. No idea yet what the time commitment will be for the new one.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:49 am

What about after lunch?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:04 am

David wrote:
^ She does do one or two shifts a week at her casual job but I would like her to pull her weight a little more. Having said that, the more I work, the more she has to look after Ingmar which is really just as hard if not harder. I do still spend a lot of one-on-one time with him, but certainly less in the past month or so.

I agree with both of you that that's not ideal, but we were really struggling for money before I took this extra work on, so there's really no easy answer.

Get a single full time job in a country region where the rent is far cheaper.

Embrace the bumpkin, resist the hipster.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:21 am

David wrote:

Not suggesting staying home with the kid isn't challenging but it's better if it's spread more evenly.

Just in my normal job it's 5 x 11 hour days per week if you count travel time

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
What about after lunch?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

2hours commute 7 days a week, that's a wasted 14 hours right there!
So with out commute that's 54.5 hours, plus the at home job, around 60 hours. Not uncommon, but im assuming you have erratic hours which would make it worse.
Still, that's got to be well over $1000 a week, Plus the missus 2 shifts. (Pulling her weight? That's another thread right there!) Have you checked out graduate positions, now you've got your degree? Do you live to a budget?

Not uncommon hours when the kids are little. My husband worked 7 days a week for about 5-6 years, with Maybe every third Sunday off. 7am to 3.30pm, but only 20 min drive. takes its toll on the whole family, yes he missed far too much of the kids growing up. When he finally cut Sundays, he picked up outside work a couple of nights a week, building up our current business. He didn't need to but he wanted us to get set financially, ie make our own luck! I worked too, doing our books, and I had two home based businesses plus I volunteered at school, (and did all the housework!). And I could name a dozen friends who lived the same life.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:30 am

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:

Also a really good suggestion, try suburbia at least!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:

Not sure I'm really qualified to be a farmhand.

Could serve pies at the village cafe, I guess.

Pies4shaw wrote:
What about after lunch?

Laughing

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I suppose much depends on whether the jobs are actually satisfying or soul-negating, and the money involved, but that sounds like a lot of work.

If nothing else, you and the missus should share the paid work load a bit more because that way the income tax will be earned in lower bands. Killing yourself to pay a lot to the government because the government won't recognise household income is a pretty poor bargain.

Good luck with it, anyway. I remember that period of life, struggling to save and working very, very long weeks. It is difficult, but hopefully it'll pay off the long run. With today's housing costs and graduate debt load , we are really hurting your generation and the boomers should be ashamed of that.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 pm

David wrote:

Well David you know sometimes I want to hit you with a brick ( not literally Wink) but I applaud you for never seeming to be bitter, for not seeming to resent people who could but don't bother to work and for having a just social conscience!

Just make sure that you keep your relationship with your boy and your partner healthy - cause in the end not having that brings the demise of all!!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 am

^ indeed, Morrigu, I disagree fervently with David on just about every significant point life has to offer, but if most people were as generous and optimistic and kind as he is, the world would be a good place.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 am

David wrote:
It fluctuates, but here's each day for the next work week, including travel to and from home (about one hour each way):

Monday: 13.5 hours
Tuesday: 10 hours
Wednesday: 6 hours
Thursday: 8 hours
Friday: 7.5 hours
Saturday: 13.5 hours
Sunday: 10 hours

In-between that, I'll probably have to find about 8-10 hours at home to do my third job when I'm not looking after Ingmar. No idea yet what the time commitment will be for the new one.

Shocked Something's gotta change coz that aint healthy!
I don't know what the jobs are but if you need to concentrate I'm sure you wouldn't be able to fully with those hours & the lack of downtime.

Don't know how many hours her one or two shifts are but it's not enough. I also don't know how any "partner" can think that's right, or fair? I use inverted commas for partner as this set up doesn't seem much like a partnership to me.

As an independent woman I couldn't possibly be ok with a partner working that many hours & me not contributing a lot more than one or two days.

Is it ever a discussion? If not, it needs to be. Not healthy & I agree with Morrigu, not sustainable.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 659, 660, 661 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 660 of 719   

Jump to: