Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 651, 652, 653 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they've come and dusted for fingerprints, but we're not holding our breath for any good news. Seems like it's been happening a lot in our area.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Don't hold your breath, but good.

Even if they don't get your stuff back, as long as people report they can dust for prints and build up a pattern. Eventually they'll catch someone at 1 burg and be able to pin them for several, including yours.

I used the same logic years ago when my car was broken into and my stereo stolen. I had zero expectations of getting it back, I just wanted to let the cops know so they could add it to the pattern.

Little did I know at the time, I took the kid who did it with me to the cops to make the report and he got to watch them check the car out, so I accidentally helped his education as a crook. Confused

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:52 pm

David wrote:
Got burglarised this afternoon – got home to find the bedroom turned upside down and Lola's $3000 camera (which she uses for her work as a photographer) and a few pieces of jewellery stolen. Strangely, they didn't touch a lot of valuable stuff like her computer or some of her other pieces of jewellery which were left on the bed, so it must have been a quick job. No insurance, of course, so we're just going to have to hope the camera turns up on Gumtree or eBay and try to get it back.

Bastards!😡 At least you or Lola or the rug weren't there David and are ok! Don't like your chances of getting it back but you never know - if it is for work can she replace the camera and claim it on tax? Although I appreciate you have to find the money to replace it!

Bastards 😡

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Oh. I am glad you appreciate those qualities.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 pm

You have that camera insuredyeah?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Does your typical standard content insurance cover theft?

I assume it would.

Staggered that you wouldn't have that David.

I've always had it and I'm just a bum from Morwell.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't think we would be able to afford it, to be honest. Insurance isn't cheap and we don't have much to spare.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:20 pm

^ Very sorry to hear it, David. I never understand what happens in the brain of someone who thinks that they have a right to do that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm

It's usually people with a drug habit. They steal things they recognise as having a value and get out as fast as they can. Last June or July, someone smashed their way into my car to steal the GPS. The damned thing was only about $300 when it was new. They did about $600 damage to the car breaking in through the difficult-to-replace tiny rear driver's side window (happily, this wasn't the Lambo), caused great inconvenience and I expect they got well under $100 when they sold the GPS on. Like Stui, I called the cops so they could dust the car - but they got no prints.

I did find out something useful, though - apparently you can't (or aren't permitted to) track a stolen GPS - which, when you think about its entire purpose, is almost amusing.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 am

That is surprising! Surely police make use of, say, Google Maps location data to make arrests? Or is that just national security agencies? Certainly, after all this fuss about metadata, it seems odd that they would still be so bound by procedure in these areas.

Sorry to hear about your car. I had a run of bad luck years ago when I lived in Canberra where my car was broken into three times in a period of a little over three months in three completely different locations. In each case, they somehow neglected to take the only item of value in there, which was an iPod (this was in the days when they were actually worth something!), though in the last they took my work bag and indirectly cost me my job. It certainly brought an end to my misplaced belief that cheap cars and run-down houses don't get broken into – if anything, it seems likely they are looked upon as an easier target.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 am

^

Average druggie just wants quick cash. Run down cars and houses are easy targets.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 am

David wrote:
I don't think we would be able to afford it, to be honest. Insurance isn't cheap and we don't have much to spare.

Mine is only around $22.50 per month with RACV for the minimum amount of cover which is something like $35,000-$50,000(that reminds me I should check) but that's more than enough for me.

In case of something drastic like a fire it's worth it for the peace of mind it provides as I couldn't afford to replace all my belongings.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:29 pm

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:

Mine is only around $22.50 per month with RACV for the minimum amount of cover which is something like $35,000-$50,000(that reminds me I should check) but that's more than enough for me.

In case of something drastic like a fire it's worth it for the peace of mind it provides as I couldn't afford to replace all my belongings.

That sure sucks, David. Sorry to hear. I'd agree with swoop - maybe even get a couple quotes to see how much insurance would be. As you're renting you'd only need contents insurance & I think you'd be surprised at how little it would actually cost per month.

If you've got Cash Converters stores near you it might be worth dropping in there over the next couple weeks, see if they show up.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Idiot politicians and the people who vote for these numbats

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/melbourne-cbd-david-leyonhjelm-slammed-for-semiautomatic-assault-cars-tweet/news-story/390871e0e1cd9f2f7d77ef352cde8940

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:53 pm

I find some of the holier-than-thou responses a little more off-putting, to be honest. Leyonhjelm's post was insensitive (though not necessarily any less empathetic than the crocodile-tear-crying journalists ripping into him) and his desire to restart the non-existent gun control debate in Australia is irritating, but he's trying to make a political point and there are no rules on how long someone ought to wait until doing so.

"Too soon" is and always has been just a construct of performative public grievers.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 651, 652, 653 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 652 of 719   

Jump to: