Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 647, 648, 649 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Thought your son was plastering?

Was. Got a dodgy shoulder and his boss is/was/always has been a flake.

he just did a cert 3 in civil construction so he's licensed to use all sorts of machines that can cause carnage and if he doesn't get a job soon I may have to get grumpy.

Abd Pies4Shaw, if my daughter (his sister) knew how much I subsidise him, she'd stab me. Girls should be cryogenically frozen from 14 til 18 years of age. Luckily I managed to live through that stage and she's old enough now that she reminds me of me. Except she's a sociopath with selective empathy which I'm still struggling to understand. The empathy part that is.

Empathy is to be discouraged at all costs.

They shouldn't be comparing what they get, of course. Individual needs are never equal in that way. Some children are happy with the Maserati Sports Coupe, others need the Quattroporto to feel genuinely fulfilled. (Either way, you can still key their Maserati if they don't express enough gratitude).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Sacrilege! Not the maserati!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:06 pm

luvdids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I got a $1500 lump sum from work due to the EBA being signed off and got to enjoy having it in my bank account for less than 12 hours.

Son and his family have to move as the unit they are in has been sold and the new owner wants to move in. Previous owner gave them a month rent free as compensation for putting up with having potential buyers coming through, which was good, and the agent for the buyer cut a good deal with us whereby we agreed to void the lease and agree on a new exit date and if they got out earlier than that, no penalties.

So they/we applied for a place on Saturday. I went guarantor cos they're both unemployed. Got the place today and got hit up for the bond and the first months rent in advance.
FMD. Who'd have kids?

I sent him a message saying considering how much money I've kicked in for him over the last 6 months it would be cheaper for me to employ someone to follow him and his GF around and slap them both every time one of them reaches for their wallet Mad

Wouldn't (shouldn't) they have the first month since they didn't pay the last month at the current place? Wink

That would be a reasonable assumption. Unfortunately, an incorrect one.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Thought your son was plastering?

Was. Got a dodgy shoulder and his boss is/was/always has been a flake.

he just did a cert 3 in civil construction so he's licensed to use all sorts of machines that can cause carnage and if he doesn't get a job soon I may have to get grumpy.

Abd Pies4Shaw, if my daughter (his sister) knew how much I subsidise him, she'd stab me. Girls should be cryogenically frozen from 14 til 18 years of age. Luckily I managed to live through that stage and she's old enough now that she reminds me of me. Except she's a sociopath with selective empathy which I'm still struggling to understand. The empathy part that is.

Empathy is to be discouraged at all costs.

They shouldn't be comparing what they get, of course. Individual needs are never equal in that way. Some children are happy with the Maserati Sports Coupe, others need the Quattroporto to feel genuinely fulfilled. (Either way, you can still key their Maserati if they don't express enough gratitude).

I agree. I'm very good at faking it but rarely experience it genuinely. I always feel dirty afterwards.

She hasn't asked me for money since the time she was living with her mother and I said No for a number of reasons, many i now forget and the rest she wouldn't understand anyway. Since then she has been scrupulous in saving her money. When she moved back in with me I didn't charge her rent or board and in 3 years on a low wage she had 1 years wage socked away in the bank. So even though she's still dirty on me about that time, I'd say it was worth it. I bought her first 2 cars but she paid me back. Her current one she bought herself. I expect her to buy her first house before she's 26.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:25 am

jesus fecking christ
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-21/cyclist-slashed-robbed-in-random-attack-in-north-melbourne/8139622

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:26 am

Who are you talking about?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:34 am

and more
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-21/more-than-400-footballers-allege-child-abuse-in-british-scandal/8122926

this should put an end to soccer yeah?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:50 am

Perhaps the issue was never priests in the Catholic Church so much as any form of institutional power that gave adults unmoderated access to children. Kind of terrifying to think about.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:32 am

David wrote:
Perhaps the issue was never priests in the Catholic Church so much as any form of institutional power that gave adults unmoderated access to children. Kind of terrifying to think about.

I grew up in that system (as a student in a non-boarding Catholic school where I did not encounter any sexual abuse at all), and it was more than unmoderated adults with children, though that is a risky issue in itself.

However, the Catholic Chirch took young men into training for thepriesthood from as early as age 15, often from very troubled backgrounds, in a period where homosexuality was deeply stigmatized and victimized. Several Catholic priests I know in my own extended family were clearly in refuge from their own gay sexuality or in denial of it until much later in life, so they fled to an institution which professed celibacy and then gave them control over young boys. What could possibly go wrong ?

This was a disaster of institutional negligence, social repression, and simple personal tragedy playing out over the bodies and lives of boys. It is right that there be a stern condemnation of what was done, but it also behooves us to have some sense of pity at so many ruined lives. Even today I doubt that the Catholic Church really understands what happened to it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 am

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:

I grew up in that system (as a student in a non-boarding Catholic school where I did not encounter any sexual abuse at all), and it was more than unmoderated adults with children, though that is a risky issue in itself.

However, the Catholic Chirch took young men into training for thepriesthood from as early as age 15, often from very troubled backgrounds, in a period where homosexuality was deeply stigmatized and victimized. Several Catholic priests I know in my own extended family were clearly in refuge from their own gay sexuality or in denial of it until much later in life, so they fled to an institution which professed celibacy and then gave them control over young boys. What could possibly go wrong ?

This was a disaster of institutional negligence, social repression, and simple personal tragedy playing out over the bodies and lives of boys. It is right that there be a stern condemnation of what was done, but it also behooves us to have some sense of pity at so many ruined lives. Even today I doubt that the Catholic Church really understands what happened to it.

great post

and well done David! spot on.

people whinge about getting working with children permits, but its not hard, its not expensive, and its a bloody start!

people think the world has gone bad, but how bad was it already? secrets and lies.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:21 pm

^ TP I think sexual abuse is probably worse today as sex saturates our society so it seems less of a big deal to transgress - but data is very hard to find. It is certainly true that the world has always been wicked and sexuality always a hard beast to tame.

I don't think the Catholic Church intended to wink at child abuse. I think it found itself - because of its doctrines - with a problem that it did not know how to resolve and I think it's own sense of shame at sexuality and the fact that so many of its clergy were closeted gay men from unhappy homes made a level of "understanding" a natural response. In practice, however, it often did wink at it, whatever its intentions.

I can say that my mother's cousin, a Christian Brother who joined at 15 to escape a violent alcoholic home, left the order at the age of 40 and ended up living in a gay relationship before dying a few years ago, was fairly typical of the breed. A staunch defender of vigorous corporal punishment in his mid thirties, by 45 he had achieved the rare and courageous human feat of revising almost all of his convictions. He apparently did not commit any sexual abuse, and he is still fondly remembered by one E McGuire, whom he taught, and who attended his funeral. He was scathing of those few who did commit sexual abuse, and those in authority who then ducked responsibility, though he would freely admit, in his later years, that his own corporal punishment violence against students in that system had a level of sexual frustration and rage underneath it.

It is a matter of great shame and the Church (with which I have no personal affiliation) deserves much of the opprobrium that has rebounded upon it. It failed, partly because too many senior clergy prioritised its reputation rather than protecting the vulnerable, and its contrition should be absolute. Still, we should try to understand that this emerged from a set of sad social forces and sorry compromises, if only because understanding why it happened helps us see it honestly, and honesty is essential to contrition, proper reparation and forgiveness.

It is, by the way, interesting that most of the child abuse emerged from the Irish-influenced Church, little from the Italian church. The Italians were always more understanding that sexuality is impossible to tame, and (I believe) more likely to wink at healthy priestly sexuality. And, of course, Italy was a far less brutalised and repressive society and nation than Ireland, which was practically a theocracy until the 1990s.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:07 pm

As a Pom, I'll just happily accept that explanation!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ TP I think sexual abuse is probably worse today as sex saturates our society so it seems less of a big deal to transgress - but data is very hard to find.

I suspect that's highly unlikely – and if anything, much more likely that the reverse is true. Abuse thrives in climates of silence and taboo. People en masses don't necessarily have healthier sexualities today, but there are simply far more social and institutional barriers to abuse, and also more avenues for people to have healthy sexual outlets. Your hypothesis about gay priests, if true – and it strikes me as a controversial but at least somewhat plausible one – would be one very clear example of this process in action.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Ahhhhh Fuckityfuckfuckdamnshitfuck. Went to raise the bistro blinds on the back deck, the ropes snapped. I guess about 8 years out in the weather took their toll.
Got a shitload of cooking and prep to do tomorrow, now I have to do a bunnings run for some nylon rope and practice my levitation to replace all the rope and re-thread the pulleys.
Anyone got a large bag of pixie dust? gonna need more than a pinch to float me 4m above ground level.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:27 pm

David wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ TP I think sexual abuse is probably worse today as sex saturates our society so it seems less of a big deal to transgress - but data is very hard to find.

I suspect that's highly unlikely – and if anything, much more likely that the reverse is true. Abuse thrives in climates of silence and taboo. People en masses don't necessarily have healthier sexualities today, but there are simply far more social and institutional barriers to abuse, and also more avenues for people to have healthy sexual outlets. Your hypothesis about gay priests, if true – and it strikes me as a controversial but at least somewhat plausible one – would be one very clear example of this process in action.

You could be right. I suppose the question is whether taboos stop behavior in the majority of people or simply drive it under cover. I suspect that telling most people that something is shameful and wrong does have the effect on conscience of stopping them from doing it. Though I have little time for Freudian thinking, we do have an internal control system, a superego. One of the dreadful things about the .church's failings is that it failed to signal just how morally wrong the behavior was, thereby anaesthetising conscience.

I did not meant to suggest that all child abusers in the Church were closet gay priests. I do know that quite a lot were, and that others were in flight from abusive families. It was a cocktail of toxins, stirred by the very abnormal vow of chastity.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 647, 648, 649 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 648 of 719   

Jump to: