Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 587, 588, 589 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree more or less completely, Wokko. It's a worrying trend.

think positive wrote:
I'd have thought Lola, the mother of your very young, sleep depriving child, would be no. 1

Lol! Let she who is without sin cast the first stone. Razz

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Interesting post David about the lessons you've learnt about the moderation of websites.

I completely agree with Wokko about how domestic violence is becoming the new 'terrorism' in the way the federal and state governments are approaching the issue.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:17 pm

I know I bang on about it all the time, but mods should have to leave a brief explanation why they have deleted (or modified) a post. The Whirlpool forums are a good example.... At least it makes it hard for mods to delete posts just because they disagree or dislike the poster's opinion.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Why no violence at all - male vs female, male vs male, female vs female isn't the goal is beyond me ????

Still pisses me off I can't put a Mod on ignore when I want too ( first world problem much Razz )

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:04 am

David, that post is gold Very Happy

The Beloved One also curses me when she hears the keyboard going!

Nick's is enough for me to pen some ideas and engage a few people I know. Open-slather public forums really are a waste of time, and obviously even worse if they're that narrow-minded Rolling Eyes At least in the VPT we get to develop ideas over a long period of time with a small group of people, which means you actually learn something about yourself and others.

The Guardian and such are for campaign slogans only.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:15 am

You need a Cherry MX Brown mechanical keyboard. Has a tactile response but no 'click'.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:42 am

pietillidie wrote:
David, that post is gold Very Happy

The Beloved One also curses me when she hears the keyboard going!

Nick's is enough for me to pen some ideas and engage a few people I know. Open-slather public forums really are a waste of time, and obviously even worse if they're that narrow-minded Rolling Eyes At least in the VPT we get to develop ideas over a long period of time with a small group of people, which means you actually learn something about yourself and others.

The Guardian and such are for campaign slogans only.

Well said. That's also what I like about Nick's and why commenting on news sites feels a bit like shouting into the void.

I'm getting kind of sick of The Guardian to be honest. I wish The Age website hadn't become such a clickbait-fest. Maybe it's just the reality of online news.

(Oh, and Morrigu, I agree! But I don't see an issue with breaking things into smaller problems.)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:53 am

I just purchased a subscription to The Australian, I think you'd find it refreshing.

Seriously though, because it's subscription based there is little need for 'click bait' that has also infested news.com.au
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 am

Haha. I probably should give The Australian a go, but Albrechtsen and the like would probably have me banging my head on the keyboard on a fairly regular basis.

Still, good to have a bit of variety in your life. I get sick of reading the same old perspectives on every single issue. Just not sure I want to give my hard-earned to the Emperor Palpatine. Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:18 am

There's always some Phillip Adams if you feel like waving the Red Flag. Laughing
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:22 am

^What does the FT cost from Oz compared to The Australian (FT standard subscription 5.35 per week here). Of course the focus is different, so if you want Australian-oriented news specifically it makes sense, but if I were going to pay for news I'd go the FT regardless of country, which I currently read mostly in cafes!

David, basically, we're left to scan dozens of sources and piece together composite pictures of what is going on and what is topical, filled out by serious articles (investigative and academic). Most stuff in the media is available straight from the horse's mouth (in one or another form of official statement propaganda), with most news sources just adding a layer of their own propaganda onto the official layer of propaganda.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:54 am

David wrote:
Haha. I probably should give The Australian a go, but Albrechtsen and the like would probably have me banging my head on the keyboard on a fairly regular basis.

Still, good to have a bit of variety in your life. I get sick of reading the same old perspectives on every single issue. Just not sure I want to give my hard-earned to the Emperor Palpatine. Wink

Looking through my 'subscription benefits', looks like I also get a 12 month subscription to GQ (online) or I could've chosen one of the 8 or so chicks magazines instead. Also get the Weekend Australian delivered, which will be a nice way to spend all morning on Saturday much like the Sat Age, it's huge.

http://www.drudgereport.com/ is one of the more popular non-left news sources in the USA, but I personally hate the format. It's very functional but I just don't like it much, hence mainly frequenting Breitbart.

http://www.rt.com/ if you like your news Russian and loving the Putin Laughing

Much like what you said about Albrechtsen, I can't stand The Guardian, I feel physically angry when I spend any time there, and The Age, while not bad generally like to trick me into Clementine Ford articles and then I need therapy.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:44 am

Morrigu wrote:
Why no violence at all - male vs female, male vs male, female vs female isn't the goal is beyond me ????

Still pisses me off I can't put a Mod on ignore when I want too ( first world problem much Razz )

Yep I see no need for separation, the more we point out differences, the easier it is to apply different standards of behaviour to people, animals etc.

That guy in the crowd the other night, I don't think anyone can believe the way he so obviously smashed that woman, just for asking him to tone it down. Every fool out there knows someone is on their mobile, and it's so easy to film. But had he smashed a male the same size as that woman, the outcry should still have been the same. (A bully never picks on someone their own size).

It would be so great if we lived in a world where everyone had the respect for themselves and each other, that that kind of crap never happened. I see such arrogance, such selfishness, in some of my daughters friends, it just terrifies me for their future.

I refused to accept it. I made it clear they were not welcome here, if they cannot use their manners, and clean up after themselves. They stayed away for a while, now they are back, and yep, they clean up after themselves. One is still resisting, the most arrogant of them all, and it's funny, but since I gave them a talking too, and junior passed on some of my comments, others in the group are noticing his arrogance and lack of manners and are now pulling him up too! He's probably a lost cause. He's training with essendrug, if he gets picked up, well, god help any single young women out there.

By the way, they don't resent me for it. One of her friends, who's father is still living in Vietnam, he lives here with his mother and 2 sisters, always goes out of his way to say hi, how are you, he will even hug me in the street! Last week they put a basketball team together and he asked me to come and watch the first game! So I did! All of them (except shit head) were asking me what I thought of their game! Kids like boundaries. And they want recognition from their peers. I'll have a laugh with them, and I still swear like a trouper! But I still expect them to respect me, and my home when they are here. And it goes without saying, they get the same back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:31 am

The other day I posted in the school chaplain thread. I thought I'd made it clear that God, any God, did not have to be a part of the programme. Either I didn't express my self well enough, or maybe no one was interested in the article. It just turned into another "anti religion" story.

I really believe it would be beneficial for all schools to have some kind of wellness programme, an hour a week of something, I don't know, I'm not a councillor. We had nothing when I was at school, respect was learnt from fear of big scary fathers. My kids did go to a religious school, a choice I made based on the standard of schools in the area, it was clearly the best choice for them, by the scoring system. And I have no regrets. The quality of their education, and also, for me as important, the security the schools could offer, were the values I was looking for, and they just happened to be in the local catholic schools. My dads catholic, so I sucked up to the priest, and got them in.

So when I write of the programmes they had in place, such as visiting nursing homes, making sandwiches for the homeless, and various student organised fund raising events for cancer sufferers, (a much loved teacher was diagnosed and passed quiet swiftly while my kids were at the high school, and several students lost parents to cancer) of course it comes with that loading.

Self esteem. That's what it's all about. Everyone needs it, it's the one thing you cannot survive without. Ok chocolate too. Helping others, being able to ask for help, it builds self esteem.

"We don't listen(read) to understand, we listen(read) to reply."
I read this a couple of weeks back, and it had a profound effect on me! Maybe I was just open to it at the time! But it is soo true, and I've been guilty of it too, taking what I want out of someone's post, and ignoring the rest, even if it means all context is lost.

And then the crap starts.

We used to have some really great debates here, with lots of different posters. Who can forget my infamous "should she(was a he) be allowed to play in a female league" thread. Yeah I know, you'd think I'd want to forget it. But in the end, differences were put aside, and a more respectful relationship came out of it. No, not in that thread, but in other, later threads. And an understanding of where each other's point of view was coming from.

I'll start. David, Luvdids, 1061, PTID, I've been guilty of having a cheap crack if I see it, in some stupid sense of, haha, I got one back! I'm sorry. I'll try to do better. I won't be perfect, Jin beam will no doubt see to that on occasion.

And yes, it's selfish too. It will make me a better person. Which in turn enriches my sense of well being.

Cheers!

I'm off to put the finishing touches to our old house, paint the back pergola, pull a few weeds, the boards will be up later this week. Every scrap of the deadbeat tenants is long gone, and the memories of my children's laughter is once again filling my mind when I'm there.

I'm sure the clumbsy karma bus will still find me, but that's ok! That's my test! I aim to pass with flying colour!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 am

I think most of us (I certainly have) have had a little crack here & there. Sometimes you see an opening and just have to take it Wink. I don't do it maliciously but I get what you mean.

However, I just looked at the chaplains thread and really don't understand what's upset you. I can't see where any "crap started". Was that posted during your Friday or Saturday day from hell episode Wink ? I've seen worse, put it that way.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 587, 588, 589 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 588 of 719   

Jump to: