Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 536, 537, 538 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad as it is, it's a horse that never would've existed without racing. A lot of them seem to genuinely enjoy it too, although I do wonder about the long distance 'staying' events like the Melbourne cup as well as the jumps racing.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:09 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Horse racing! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

ditto.

another horse lost Sad

^ 2 - Admire Rakti and Araldo from one stinking pointless race Evil or Very Mad Sad

Hope the celebs and pissheads had a nice day! Rolling Eyes

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Wokko wrote:
Sad as it is, it's a horse that never would've existed without racing. A lot of them seem to genuinely enjoy it too, although I do wonder about the long distance 'staying' events like the Melbourne cup as well as the jumps racing.

Bullshite - humans breed them to make money and for " entertainment" - and if they don't cut the mustard and make the bucks they dispose of them like we put the trash out.

Horse love to run - not with some little fck knuckle human sitting on their back and whipping them - to win - to make money for humans! And they race them and push them when they are too young and their body's are not able to cope with it.

My brother was a farrier - he worked for Hayes and even shoed a Melbourne Cup winner - At Talaq - he left a a good career that could have made him a shipload of money because he loves horses and could not participate in what he saw any longer - this is a cruel and corrupt industry and it makes me sick to my stomach!

Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:02 pm

I wouldn't be sorry to see this 'sport' phased out. If people want to get drunk, gamble and wear stupid clothes, I'm sure there's an alternative means of doing so without the need for animal cruelty.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:46 pm

I can't say I'm an expert on horse racing by any means and I take little or no interest in it whatsoever apart from Melbourne Cup a little bit but from those who I do know who follow the industry eagerly they say that today's events of two horses dying in the same race after it had occurred is very unusual and very unlikely to eventuate in most circumstances and therefore many have jumped on the anti-horseracing industry bandwagon to perpetuate this idea that events like today are a common occurrence even though this is not the reality of it.

I have no opinion on it either way but I can understand the viewpoints of both sides.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 pm

I don't know. This isn't just a post hoc thingthinking about all of the anti-horseracing sentiment on my Facebook newsfeed this morning, it seems pretty clear to me that their criticism has been vindicated.

Even if deaths remain relatively uncommon, how much risk is acceptable? And how much damage is being done to their bodies that it's so easy for a minority to just drop dead after a race?

I know it'd be a bitter pill to swallow for all the people who earn money from this industry and that there's all the tradition associated with this day, but honestly there's going to have to come a time when we just say it's too barbaric to be tolerated.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:24 pm

It's not just the 2 champions lost today. Thousands and thousands of too slow horses are chucked on the rubbish heap. A lot ruined for just normal riding by being broken in the wrong way, too hard in the mouth, and knowing only to bolt. They end up in awful state at the Knackery. Same goes for greyhound racing.

Human beings never fail to find new ways to disgust me.

Just like man resorting to drugs to break new records, (in the end will they be finishing before they start?) these horses are being "trained" for want of a better word to the nth degree. Pushed too hard, and too young. Have you seen how fragile a horses legs are?

And those tears the owners are crying-for the horse or the lost dollars?

**** horse racing, **** dog fights, and cock fights, and **** puppy farms. Man is quite frankly a piece of shit.

As for they wouldn't be born unless for racing, I used to say that about rodeo bulls, and the fact the RSPCA is so down on them they have to treat them right. What a crock. Be born just to be flogged to death, or to be frightened and tortured for the stupid entertainment of man?

Why not have kids for slave labour then? To me there is no difference.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 pm

I certainly understand your sentiments David and TP but I certainly think whether the racing industry likes it or not there will be further discussion about these events that took place in the near future. I can't see today's incidents making much of a difference as people will carry on as normal for Oaks Day on Thursday now.

However I can't see the industry falling apart or stopping because of events like today. Melbourne Cup is an event that has been occurring for just over 150 years now and I can't see it stopping any time soon. For example, when Phar Lap was poisoned in 1932 that could have easily been a catalyst to stop the industry as it demonstrated corruption and cruelty of the horses involved in this industry, but as time has gone on Phar Lap (arguably the greatest horse racer ever) has been an iconic figure of Australian sport and the racing industry and he's become more famous in death rather than when he was alive so to speak.

I certainly find it uneasy to think that horses may be treated in an inhumane way by their owners or trainers but there's no evidence to suggest that this is the case either. Horse racing has been strong for 150 years in Melbourne and today's events will most likely not make an ounce of difference in people's perception of it, especially where money is concerned.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Your right Jezza, and just like smoking, while there is money to be made, and taxes to collect, it won't stop. Greed, power, man kinds downfall.

My favourite pony was stolen from the Knackery, don't know how he ended up there. He was 8 when I got him. He gave me so much, and I gave it right back. His sashes from one day events and novelty racing are hanging on the wall in my gym. I thank The Lord for the time I had with him, he was amazing. Almost human. Not much I wouldn't give up to have him back. His name was simply, Clyde. I also saved a failed pacer, 2 companion ponies, and 2 dumped starved ponies. But there is just too many to save...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:42 pm

think positive wrote:
As for they wouldn't be born unless for racing, I used to say that about rodeo bulls, and the fact the RSPCA is so down on them they have to treat them right. What a crock. Be born just to be flogged to death, or to be frightened and tortured for the stupid entertainment of man?

Why not have kids for slave labour then? To me there is no difference.

I've always thought that was a really lame argument too. Like, the fact that animals are born for horrible ends somehow justifies their mistreatment?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Because you asked me to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:19 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cASALvt8sVg

Grab ya tissues this tugs at the heart strings as the maker gets a point across about this race horses journey from a Champion to pet meat.

Last edited by 1061 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 am

A spoiler would have been nice ....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:45 am

think positive wrote:
A spoiler would have been nice ....

It's a 4 minute long clip about a race horse with a few commentaries printed into the clip. Considering the current topic in the thread I would have thought any reasonable person could have worked it out for themselves.

unsnip >>>>> mates rates of course!

Last edited by 1061 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 am

David wrote:
I don't know. This isn't just a post hoc thingthinking about all of the anti-horseracing sentiment on my Facebook newsfeed this morning, it seems pretty clear to me that their criticism has been vindicated.

Actually, considering that the majority of squawkers on Facebook are idiots who don't know what they're talking about and just jump from one trendy cause to the next adding their vitriol as they go, I'd hardly say what happened vindicates anything they said.

I do take note of people like Morrigu (and TP) however.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 536, 537, 538 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 537 of 719   

Jump to: