Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of car do you have?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 am

watt price tully wrote:
Paramedics. They think they know everything. God knows, Nurses do. Apart from invariably taking patients to the wrong Emergency Departments (which pisses me off no end) yesterday they failed to take my Mum to The Alfred after she fell on a footpath outside Glen Eira Council. She broke her fall & scunned her hands, fell on her face (nose & forehead damage) and did their tests & said she was OK.

Now Mum initially refused to go, she is assertive, stubborn and can be a pain in the backside but shes 84, has alzheimers and Im her POA. As I told the paramedic by phone driving to the scene, Mum is the personification of Dr Google. At times she can't make the cognitive links to make rational decisions for her best interests.

I drove her there, she needed dessings to her toes and steri strips to her forehead, and attention to other abrazed areas while looking like a victim of domestic violence with a nice shiner to right eye. Fortuitously the CT of her head proved negative.

It was luck & not good management that she was OK. ED picked up some other things that her GP and the wonderful District Nurses need to focus on.

The rule is simple: dont f*ck around medically with a person in their mid 80s (especially with her medical history) I was told that many years ago by a head of ED when I basically coerced/duped Mrs WPTs Mum (stoic like the black knight in Monty Python) to go to ED post a dizzy spell She ended up admitted for nearly a week to correct her cadiac meds at the time and lived pretty well for another 7 years or so.

Gees how awful. I hope Shes ok, very painful, especially at that age Im sure. Sounds like decision time is coming. So sorry to hear this.

What can paramedics do if someone refuses to go? They cant firce someone whos generally lucid can they? Having dealt with the several times Ive found them amazing.

And blame the net not the pad! Apparently will improve when broad band gets here! Ill let you know end of next month!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 am

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Paramedics. They think they know everything. God knows, Nurses do. Apart from invariably taking patients to the wrong Emergency Departments (which pisses me off no end) yesterday they failed to take my Mum to The Alfred after she fell on a footpath outside Glen Eira Council. She broke her fall & scunned her hands, fell on her face (nose & forehead damage) and did their tests & said she was OK.

Now Mum initially refused to go, she is assertive, stubborn and can be a pain in the backside but shes 84, has alzheimers and Im her POA. As I told the paramedic by phone driving to the scene, Mum is the personification of Dr Google. At times she can't make the cognitive links to make rational decisions for her best interests.

I drove her there, she needed dessings to her toes and steri strips to her forehead, and attention to other abrazed areas while looking like a victim of domestic violence with a nice shiner to right eye. Fortuitously the CT of her head proved negative.

It was luck & not good management that she was OK. ED picked up some other things that her GP and the wonderful District Nurses need to focus on.

The rule is simple: dont f*ck around medically with a person in their mid 80s (especially with her medical history) I was told that many years ago by a head of ED when I basically coerced/duped Mrs WPTs Mum (stoic like the black knight in Monty Python) to go to ED post a dizzy spell She ended up admitted for nearly a week to correct her cadiac meds at the time and lived pretty well for another 7 years or so.

Gees how awful. I hope Shes ok, very painful, especially at that age Im sure. Sounds like decision time is coming. So sorry to hear this.

What can paramedics do if someone refuses to go? They cant firce someone whos generally lucid can they? Having dealt with the several times Ive found them amazing.

And blame the net not the pad! Apparently will improve when broad band gets here! Ill let you know end of next month!

Hi TP. It takes very little pursuasion to have taken her. I told them I was POA & they can take her. I got there while they were there ( I got there just as they were about to leave; its knowing how to relate, communicate and manage ( as it were) people. The chappy was a fine technocrat and if shed had a heart attack or a broken leg he was your man. All he did in my view was justify the reasons he wasnt going to take her. However, he made a wrong and bad decision with an 84 year old. I suspect after my written complaint replete with photos of her and the hospital report he might be a tad more sensitive to women who fall over, hit their face, almost need stitches (everyone assumed the blood on her forehead was just that and not a laceration that it was and took a fair bit of time to stop bleeding as she is on blood thinners). The paramedic was not to know that she did not have damage to or inside head only a CAT scan can eliminate / provide the evidence and not a physical check on a footpath. In my view he was more of an economist than an alleged health professional.

Mum was walking to her GPs. The paramedic made a number of assumptions: these include: the GP would still be open: the paramedic still kept his line of resistance up when faced with new facts, that is the GP was only open till 12 and Mum missed the 1145 appt. Additionally, he just assumed that I would be able to be with her and monitor her for the next 4-6 hours, an arrogant assumption on his part without asking / assessing the situation. Further, peoples conditions can change especially with a headstrike and the fact she had alzheiners and Cleopatra Syndrome: Queen of denial: she like everyone else likes to present the best image of themselves. When youre in your mid 80s and despite her somatising (basically believing Dr Google) youre inclined to downplay symptoms in public while making claims to the contrary in private).

At the end of an exhausting day where I felt both sadness and frustration, well anger at my Mum (I left during her hospitalization in the short stay unit) fabout 30 minutes) went to Chapel street for a coffee and get her some decent food to bring back) she rang 3-4 times: did I ring her was one of her (usual) questions and why are her toes all scunned, bloodied and sore) needed to remind her she had a fall, and when will a Dr see her? I explained that shed already seen a Dr who was very good, that I left just b4 she went to CT and the Dr would come back when the results would be known. She just needed to be patient......

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 am

Friggin internet: couldnt possibly be me
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 am

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Hi TP. It takes very little pursuasion to have taken her. I told them I was POA & they can take her. I got there while they were there ( I got there just as they were about to leave; its knowing how to relate, communicate and manage ( as it were) people. The chappy was a fine technocrat and if shed had a heart attack or a broken leg he was your man. All he did in my view was justify the reasons he wasnt going to take her. However, he made a wrong and bad decision with an 84 year old. I suspect after my written complaint replete with photos of her and the hospital report he might be a tad more sensitive to women who fall over, hit their face, almost need stitches (everyone assumed the blood on her forehead was just that and not a laceration that it was and took a fair bit of time to stop bleeding as she is on blood thinners). The paramedic was not to know that she did not have damage to or inside head only a CAT scan can eliminate / provide the evidence and not a physical check on a footpath. In my view he was more of an economist than an alleged health professional.

Mum was walking to her GPs. The paramedic made a number of assumptions: these include: the GP would still be open: the paramedic still kept his line of resistance up when faced with new facts, that is the GP was only open till 12 and Mum missed the 1145 appt. Additionally, he just assumed that I would be able to be with her and monitor her for the next 4-6 hours, an arrogant assumption on his part without asking / assessing the situation. Further, peoples conditions can change especially with a headstrike and the fact she had alzheiners and Cleopatra Syndrome: Queen of denial: she like everyone else likes to present the best image of themselves. When youre in your mid 80s and despite her somatising (basically believing Dr Google) youre inclined to downplay symptoms in public while making claims to the contrary in private).

At the end of an exhausting day where I felt both sadness and frustration, well anger at my Mum (I left during her hospitalization in the short stay unit) fabout 30 minutes) went to Chapel street for a coffee and get her some decent food to bring back) she rang 3-4 times: did I ring her was one of her (usual) questions and why are her toes all scunned, bloodied and sore) needed to remind her she had a fall, and when will a Dr see her? I explained that shed already seen a Dr who was very good, that I left just b4 she went to CT and the Dr would come back when the results would be known. She just needed to be patient......

ok, i get your frustration then, hopefully he lifts his game. Quite frankly im shocked he didnt think She needed a CT scan, over this side they seem pretty keen to do them. I had one after a wierd turn when my mum was in hospital all those years ago, and Hubby had one Christmas day after a dizzy spell Christmas eve, i took him to emergency in Willi (to bypass the druggos and punch drunks at the big hospitals) as he was covered in sweat but ice cold. his temperature was just above hypothermia, and they transferred him to sunshine at midnight. Now there is a fun thing to do, walk alone through sunshine hospital carpark at 2am! They never said why his temperature dropped, but he is fine now.

As for Mum, if her memory loop is that short should She be walking to the doctor on her own? That's really scary. My father in law is down to short term memory retention of about 10-15 min. its so so sad.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

watt price tully wrote:
Friggin internet: couldnt possibly be me

i find thumping the mouse or keyboard help - i keep spares in the cupboard!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:07 pm

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

ok, i get your frustration then, hopefully he lifts his game. Quite frankly im shocked he didnt think She needed a CT scan, over this side they seem pretty keen to do them. I had one after a wierd turn when my mum was in hospital all those years ago, and Hubby had one Christmas day after a dizzy spell Christmas eve, i took him to emergency in Willi (to bypass the druggos and punch drunks at the big hospitals) as he was covered in sweat but ice cold. his temperature was just above hypothermia, and they transferred him to sunshine at midnight. Now there is a fun thing to do, walk alone through sunshine hospital carpark at 2am! They never said why his temperature dropped, but he is fine now.

As for Mum, if her memory loop is that short should She be walking to the doctor on her own? That's really scary. My father in law is down to short term memory retention of about 10-15 min. its so so sad.

Cheers TP. Wow that would have been a tough time for you and yours.

It's hard to tell about Mum's memory. In somethings she's fine (long term especially) but her short term recall is increasingly deteriorating albeit in a non-linear way that is, at times she's got it at others way not. Disturbingly she walks the long way to the GP and doesn't realize it. Mum is remarkably resilient and there needs to be a balance between a dignity of risk ( That's a ripper of a term from the late 70's) and being in care. We need to increase the amount of support she gets from agencies including companionship, meals a few days a week, to other things Mrs WPT will help me with My Aged care package once she gets a chance later this month: Mrs WPT is going to 0.6 (three days a week - basically 5 days per fortnight at work) in her hoarding business as is the busines partner. Mum's still quite able and with prompting is OK.

I need her to be well for as long as possible currently! (whose needs are being met here)!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:23 pm

its not easy mate. and the guilt!! certainly the gods dont seem to factor in other things that need our attention!! i wish you luck with it.

Bill has also retained all his long term memory, but in the last 18 months (since we lost ian, hubbies brother, his short term memory has just gone down hill at an alarming rate. coupled with his eye problems its just awful to watch. re the ambos on christmas eve, they offered for me to go in the ambulance, but i didnt want to have to get the kids to come get me in the middle of the night! I honestly cant say enough good about them. even when we got there, they looked after him til he was in a bed, and came and got me from the waiting room. so sorry you got the opposite.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm

The weather forecast for my next 7 days here!

45, 46, 47, 45, 47, 48 & 45.

Lovely Cool

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

^

What about overnight and humidity?

Up in Toc before new year, it was 38-42 every day with high humidity and overnight lows in the 30's before finally getting down to high 20's just before sunrise.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 am

Humidity is low, at the moment. Should have been some rain by now, not even a hint of a cyclone of the NW yet, and cyclone season is half over.

Minimums are 28-32.... 19 in my donga though.

We have got a 25m pool here, which is awesome to get in after work. Had it to myself last night, which amazes me.
Back into swimming laps and the bike in the gym, up at 0315 for my gym sessions.

Longer days here, 0530 start 1800 finish.... living the dream.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm

19 in the Donga I could deal with, the pool and I assume there's a bar there I could deal with.

No chance I could do those hours in that heat and maintain concentration though.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm

breaking my right arm falling upstairs.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Bugger.

Displaced bone or just fractured?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

ronrat wrote:
breaking my right arm falling upstairs.

Fell or tripped?

Old white guys are known to have a lot of "accidents" in Thailand. Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 688 of 719   

Jump to: