Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I donít think itís any secret that, as the Greens have moved from being a niche environmentalist outfit to a mainstream centre-left social democratic party, certain hardcore environmentalist policies have fallen by the wayside (and been picked up by newer microparties like the Sustainable Party). And unlike some, I donít necessarily see those policies (as adopted by the NZ Labor government) as necessarily racist or wrong.

Whatís not clear to me is that immigration is actually bad for the country, given the way that it increases productivity and skills and counterbalances population decline. You can accuse John Howard of many things, but he didnít open the floodgates out of some naive sense of generosity or love for multiculturalism Ė it was thought (correctly?) that immigration would be good for the economy.

If the problem is that infrastructure and housing have failed to cope with the influx, then is it possible that the fault lies with insufficient commitment to infrastructure development and better regulation of the housing industry? Both eminently achievable things, mind you, had there been the political will to clamp down on negative gearing and forgo tax cuts in favour of a bigger public infrastructure fund.

Iím happy to hear arguments to the contrary, and acknowledge that thereís a lot about this subject that I donít fully understand, but Iím just not convinced that immigration is the villain here.

Immigration indeed can have many benefits, not least to governments which never net out the effect of immigration on ďgrowthĒ, which should be reported in per capita terms, but never is.

However, I think you once said you did VCE economics. Melbourne has had a 20% increase in population in ten years, which means it needs 20% more houses (demand curve shift to the right). The supply curve is highly inelastic owing to limited land. If you think this has not impacted house prices massively, Youíd need a new theory of economics (not to mention a new theory of common sense) to explain why not. I think your ideological need to justify immigration makes you want to extenuate its effects, but I see absolutely no reason why a genuinely centre- left party would support a policy which hurts the unpropertied and working class more than anyone else, and favours the landholders.

There is no doubt that foreign and domestic investment (the latter encouraged by perverse tax incentives) has also had a lot of malign influence.

Foreign investment in unoccupied properties is clearly undesirable, but at least the foreign new money is driving supply expansion, given they cannot purchase new builds. The VRPT concept being legislated through the parliament is conceptually reasonable, but the specifics will need careful scrutiny to avoid causing unjust anomalies (eg .aussies moving abroad to work, how does self-reporting work, how much occupancy is necessary etc).

And of course it begs the real question - why do we need to let foreigners own unproductive assets on Australian land at all ? Why not just ban foreign investment in residential property ? As so often, our politicians want to seem to be taking firm action, without acting on the hard stuff that might leave them open to the cheap, spurious, unfounded, empty-headed charge of racism.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:18 pm

not much pisses me off these days, but this sure bloody does.
couldnt there at least be a register at your chemist so people who genuinely need them can continue to get them? i dont take many, but when i get a migraine codeine is the only thing that works. i dont actually get a headache at first, my vision goes blurry. if i dont get codeine i cant drive or even walk around much. not much in the world isnt abused by some, and for that others suffer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/health/overthecounter-codeinebased-pain-pills-to-become-prescription-only/news-story/4b32c3b0036549eae3123610ab1834ca

swoop42 Virgo

The Flash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

I suggest stocking up now and/or going to your GP for a prescription before they're needed.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I suggest stocking up now and/or going to your GP for a prescription before they're needed.

Yep Iím going to get a couple of packets for sure. Iíd be lucky to use a box in 3-6 months, but I like to have some on me just in case. Iím about due for a checkup so Iíll see if there is anything else that works. Itís no biggie I guess but itís annoying. Cheers

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Skids wrote:
That we give so much to so called "refugees" Evil or Very Mad

My daughter and her partner are on a single (low) income, until Trev finishes his apprenticeship. They have a 5 month old baby and are buying their first home.

How much do you reckon centrelink give them in assistance?

60 *&^*(&%$% bucks a week! Evil or Very Mad

This place is a pathetic joke!

Well, I may have jumped the gun here... yes I know, not like me at all Laughing

I said to middle miss "I'm taking you to Centrelink to sort this shit out"

At first she was slightly hesitant... " Don't go off Dad" she uttered.

"Of course I won't" Smile

So we get down there 10 minutes before opening time yesterday and join the Que... this is where my $40k/pa goes.... what a bunch of pathetic looking no hoppers we're behind Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, we're greeted by some obnoxious little mole who tells us to do it on-line... nah lady, I want to talk to someone!

Turns out, after 15 minutes, yep, good service, we're greeted by... yep... a middle aged Aussie bloke by the name of Neil. Smile What a fucke top bloke!
Neil couldn't have been more helpful, long story short.. the kids are entitled to a health care card, over $300 a fortnight plus a parenting payment. They are over the moon.

You just have to speak to the right people Cool

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

swoop42 wrote:

That's what we're doing... Mersyndol mmmmm Razz

partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 am

Re the codeine ban - (and yes I like to have some in the first aid kit) - a local pharmacist in a smallish country town told me she is treating 30 locals for codeine addiction. I guess people don't go round telling you they have an over the counter medicine addiction. Also a while back I was taking painkillers on medical advice on and off for back pain. Turns out the back pain was merely a symptom of something a bit more serious which has been treated successfully.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Thatís good to hear.

.actually good point, I know more than one bloke who ended up in big trouble because they were masking something serious. Iím guessing some women do it too. Iíve had so many cancer diagnosisís around me I tend to hit the doc if I ache! Call me sook!

Luckily I donít have an addictive personality, and Iíve had two brain scans so I know itís migraines! The first when I was in hospital with a suspected mini stroke, it wasnít ,just stress from dealing with my mothers nursing home. The second when I slipped in the bathroom and smacked my head on the toilet bowl! The doctor said I was lucky, everyone should get a brain scan at 50 as thatís when neurological problems start showing up.

stui magpie 

suge min pikk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm

No chance I'm getting a brain scan, they may not find anything.

I've just spent a week up bush eating no more than 2 meals a day, physically active every day when for years I've been on my arse behind a desk eating 3, and I get home today, jump on the scales and I've put on 2 kg.

How the fck does that work? Evil or Very Mad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

muscle?? weighs more than fat, put on ya skinny jeans instead of looking at the scale!
Pi 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I've just spent a week up bush eating no more than 2 meals a day, physically active every day when for years I've been on my arse behind a desk eating 3, and I get home today, jump on the scales and I've put on 2 kg.

In the past two weeks i have cycled 130 km , I look on the scales, 2 kg heavier. It all changes in the 4th week after your body adjusts.

stui magpie 

suge min pikk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

think positive wrote:
muscle?? weighs more than fat, put on ya skinny jeans instead of looking at the scale!

No issues with the clothes, still need a belt to hold up the 92 waist pants.

I'll work on it.

swoop42 Virgo

The Flash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:

They decided to do yours when they conducted the prostate examination.

Two birds and all.

All clear and about the size of a walnut.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm

no drugs for me Sad Sad Sad all gone
and no drink tonight! Juniors car is getting new brakes, shes at a predrinks, and ^&*^*% is there and single, she doesnt want to go into the city with them so ill stay sober and pick her up. some bad $£$%^%%$ pennies just keep turning up. ugh.

on the bright side i accidentally purchased a couple of things on amazon for my camera! the evenings not a total waste!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681  Next
Page 677 of 681   

Jump to: