Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 
Log inLog in RegisterRegister
 
What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 669, 670, 671  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini



Joined: 05 Jul 2012


PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
And you'd pay $80 or $120 to hire the equipment. Bit of a no-brainer.




- and snap a rod in the drain and require a dig-up. Bit of a no-brainer. Smile
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
stui magpie 

suge min pikk


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Where ever i go, there I am

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Tannin wrote:
And you'd pay $80 or $120 to hire the equipment. Bit of a no-brainer.




- and snap a rod in the drain and require a dig-up. Bit of a no-brainer. Smile


I think he was suggesting, based on his previous post, it's a no brainer to hire someone who knows what they're doing.

And I will.

Like Tannin I'll do a lot of home maintenance myself, but I know my limitations. I ain't touching this.

_________________
I'd like to apologise to anyone I haven't offended yet. Be patient, I'm working through a list. You're entitled to your own opinion, but if it disagrees with mine, it's wrong.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Morrigu Scorpio

Saving one animal may not change the world, but surely for that one animal the world will change forever!


Joined: 11 Aug 2001
Location: Etosha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell flew back into Melbourne today - it's still cold and raining - and throw in a bit of hail - yay!! Evil or Very Mad
_________________
'If you can ride it, hug it or have a selfie with a wild animal, then you can be sure it is cruel. Vote with your feet and don't!!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
stui magpie 

suge min pikk


Joined: 03 May 2005
Location: Where ever i go, there I am

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

talking to people who don't seem to understand what i'm talking about.

2 examples in the last few days, neither of which I'll go into but I ask for them to do stuff which in my brain is quite simple but get met with blank looks, repeated providing of stuff which was nice but not what I asked for in the remotest stretch or just plain obfuscation.

I asked one of my direct reports today,

"I need you to give me a direct answer, have I developed a speech impediment or am I speaking a language other than English, I seem to be speaking Swahili with a creole accent considering the comprehension I'm getting"

She reassure me that she had no issues deciphering my requests/directions (and there's clear evidence of that from what she provides when I ask) so the problem was clearly elsewhere.

Maybe I need to try a different language. I've tried plain English, I've tried dumbed down, I've tried pretending i was explaining to a 10 year old. I'm getting close to trying a 12 volt battery with jumper leads or a double 4x2 ear massage. Mad

_________________
I'd like to apologise to anyone I haven't offended yet. Be patient, I'm working through a list. You're entitled to your own opinion, but if it disagrees with mine, it's wrong.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And father of the year goes to.... the $£$%^%%$ waste of oxygen breathing heathen who put ice on a week old babies dummy, hope he gets General pop and some good old fashioned jail house justice, and yes I mean it.
_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
ronrat 



Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Thailand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
And father of the year goes to.... the $£$%^%%$ waste of oxygen breathing heathen who put ice on a week old babies dummy, hope he gets General pop and some good old fashioned jail house justice, and yes I mean it.


An the moron is blaming the Police. One assumes Child services will remove his infant from the dick for brains currently harming the child and put the baby up for immediate adoption and not play pass the parcel for 10 years.

_________________
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.


Joined: 17 Mar 2003


PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

One what?
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
David Libra

Reel around the fountain


Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Location: Anywhere, I don't care I don't care I don't care

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A close friend checking out of a Facebook discussion after taking offence at something I wrote, telling me to “#@&$ off” and then – without asking me to clarify my (carefully thought out and sincerely held) position – posting to all his friends about how terrible my view is (and, by implication, I am), without giving me any right of reply.

I know it sounds ridiculous to recount social media dust-ups, but it’s all pretty disappointing and makes me seriously wonder if I can maintain any real-world connection with him. It’s a shame, as we get on quite well in person and have known each other for years, but he can be a huge jerk online. And ultimately, as much as we all want to separate those things and say that one is real and one isn’t, this is ultimately part of who he is. And I find that really hard to deal with.

_________________
Past the pub that wrecks your body, and the church, all they want is your money; the Queen is dead, boys, and it's so lonely on a limb...
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Ballarat!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Which post was it and what was their point of view? Unfortunately it's pretty standard for certain people to think their opinion isn't just a probably prejudicial view based on assumptions but an infallible set of concrete laws passed through them in some kind of divine manner and unbelievers must be destroyed.
_________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
David Libra

Reel around the fountain


Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Location: Anywhere, I don't care I don't care I don't care

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was whether one would hire a sex offender to work on a film set. My view was yes, for all of the reasons that I've expressed in various discussions here in the past – the importance of work in rehabilitation, the wrongness of letting companies decide guilt and innocence, valuing people for what they can do rather than their perceived 'virtue' – on the proviso that they wouldn't pose a risk to other crew members.

I'd made more or less the same argument (more generally) in this article in the past without any backlash, but I guess it's an emotionally fraught time right now and nuance isn't welcome.

Anyway, this guy can be terribly unpleasant on social media (you'd know who I'm talking about; I think you blocked each other at one stage), and it's almost a relief that it's come to this – I can spare myself the unpleasant experience of walking on eggshells around him in future. Certainly going to make things awkward for our friendship group, though, given that I met most of my current friends through him.

_________________
Past the pub that wrecks your body, and the church, all they want is your money; the Queen is dead, boys, and it's so lonely on a limb...
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.


Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Ballarat!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't block anyone unless there's some deep seated personal need, he blocked me, and yes I know exactly who you mean Laughing Pretty much the archetype of person I rail against on the left, I wonder if he has any concept of slander and the repercussions for it.
_________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
think positive Libra

Side By Side


Joined: 30 Jun 2005
Location: somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
A close friend checking out of a Facebook discussion after taking offence at something I wrote, telling me to “#@&$ off” and then – without asking me to clarify my (carefully thought out and sincerely held) position – posting to all his friends about how terrible my view is (and, by implication, I am), without giving me any right of reply.

I know it sounds ridiculous to recount social media dust-ups, but it’s all pretty disappointing and makes me seriously wonder if I can maintain any real-world connection with him. It’s a shame, as we get on quite well in person and have known each other for years, but he can be a huge jerk online. And ultimately, as much as we all want to separate those things and say that one is real and one isn’t, this is ultimately part of who he is. And I find that really hard to deal with.


Been there had that happen, says more about them than about you. People say things they wouldn’t say to your face. Do you really need that kind of person around you? You should be able to have a discussion with someone, be able to hold a completely different opinion without fear of the dreaded block or being verbally abused! I said as much in the Blair thread. My own sister blocked me a few years back! Though st the time it was a relief! High maintenance! Gees if we all agreed with each other all the time life would be pretty boring. If you dissed everyone who disagreed with you on a single point you’d end up pretty lonely. Your never going to make everybody happy all the time. His loss, not yours. Not to mention the fact I just can’t see you posting anything really inflammatory!



Speaking of flames, What pisses me off is another little kid cooked in a hot car. What the **** is it going to take to get through to people? All the adds every year. You’d the parent has been in the car and would realise. I got in my car after a brief shopping trip this afternoon and it was bloody boiling in there.

_________________
You never look good trying to make someone else look bad. Disrespecting & insulting other to prove your point just shows how shaky your own position is.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Mugwump 



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Location: Oxford, England

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
The question was whether one would hire a sex offender to work on a film set. My view was yes, for all of the reasons that I've expressed in various discussions here in the past – the importance of work in rehabilitation, the wrongness of letting companies decide guilt and innocence, valuing people for what they can do rather than their perceived 'virtue' – on the proviso that they wouldn't pose a risk to other crew members.

I'd made more or less the same argument (more generally) in this article in the past without any backlash, but I guess it's an emotionally fraught time right now and nuance isn't welcome.

Anyway, this guy can be terribly unpleasant on social media (you'd know who I'm talking about; I think you blocked each other at one stage), and it's almost a relief that it's come to this – I can spare myself the unpleasant experience of walking on eggshells around him in future. Certainly going to make things awkward for our friendship group, though, given that I met most of my current friends through him.


It’s probably a generational thing, but I don’t engage with anyone I would call a close friend on social media. I always talk to close friends privately by mail or voice. Most of my close friends are more to the Left than I am (though they would not be close friends if they did not hold their opinions with a certain good-humored and open-minded detachment), and I am much more conciliatory with them personally than I tend to be on social media. It is both the pleasure and risk of social media that one can value argument above relationships on it. That is probably right in the public sphere, but a dumb idea in private life. In any event, I cant imagine a close friend telling me to F off over a matter of opinion. It would have to be some kind of personal betrayal. So maybe the person was not such a close friend after all.

_________________
Two more flags before I die!
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
ronrat 



Joined: 22 May 2006
Location: Thailand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of flames, What pisses me off is another little kid cooked in a hot car. What the **** is it going to take to get through to people? All the adds every year. You’d the parent has been in the car and would realise. I got in my car after a brief shopping trip this afternoon and it was bloody boiling in there.


I was walking through the carpark at my local in Malvern one day and noticed a car outside the gaming room with 2 toddlers inside. I mentioned it to the manager who walked around the gaming room and asked everyone if they had left kids in the car outside as it was over 30 degrees. No one. Same question asked in the restaurant and main bar. The publican (ex copper) rang the police and they said "On our way. Smash the window and get the kids out". That happened. Some 30 minutes later a woman turned up to find Police and a paramedic at her car. She then went ballistic and saisd she had just gone to the lolly shop, saw a friend and they had a coffee. Abuse was directed at hotel staff, Police, patrons.

Then came the rebuke from all concerned. She was charged with whatever offence it was for leaving kids in cars, parking in a disabled parking spot and the Hotel carpark was private property so she copped a council fine for that as well. The hotel banned her for life from the carpark and the magistrate apparently ripped her to pieces.

Her husband came into the pub carrying on about "who was the arsehole who dobbed in my missus". He was then told the real story amd his wife had told him she was "only gone for 2 minutes". Publican told him to **** off and not bother parking in his car park again.

Apparently you can legally smash a window to save a life so just do it. If they get violent theywill be dealt with in court. If It was my kids I wouldn't be going crook at whomever notified the correct authorities. I would be telling my missus to find a new home. Sans my kids.

_________________
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Back to top  
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 669, 670, 671  Next
Page 670 of 671   

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Privacy Policy

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group