Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 542, 543, 544 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
^ Quality post, PTID: short and straight to the point.

That "amazing" photo of the American flag being raised at Iwo Jima, by the way, is a fake.

You and I have a seriously different definition of "Quality".

Anything to avoid owning your major errors of judgement, Honest John.

No, I just choose to generally ignore your posts because i don't personally find very much in them worth reading, for a number of reasons I've gone into previously and feel no need to reprise.

I'm more than happy for you to post whatever you like and for those who enjoy reading your posts to do so, i just exercise my choice and that makes it all nice. Every one is happy. I come on Nicks to unwind, I don't need to feel antagonised.

Make of that what you want. Some people would reflect on their own behaviour and what it is about how they behave that disenfranchises so many people. Others won't even consider that option as it implies some level of blame or accountability on themselves. I'm pretty sure I know which category you're in.

Gold! You worry about "disenfranchisement" and you can't even apologise for pushing and promoting a war which you knew absolutely nothing about that resulted in mass disenfranchisement!

I'm in the category which doesn't care about the sensitivities of those who disenfranchise the vulnerable through self-serving claims dressed up as "policy" and "argument". It's you who needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and wonder why the best motivation you can find for yourself involves blaming and scapegoating the nearest poor sod at hand. What a pathetic way to get yourself through the day.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:12 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
I don't care whos $£$%^%%$ flag it is. all flags deserve respect, and especially from its own citizens.

that amazing photo of the American flag being raised at Iwo Jima, the simular picture after 9/11, they mean something.

and yeah you don't get it. and I give up trying to explain it. but your (and that's plural your) disrespect sucks. and if the day comes when we need the support of what ever force we have, I hope you all have to $£$%^%%$ grovel at their feet. but you wont. because unlike you, they don't judge. they will help you anyway.

I'll never respect a flag. It's just a symbol. The concept that I might one day need to be protected by national forces (or even, in case of invasion, be part of those forces) doesn't change my view on that.

And that's where you and I differ. The national forces stuff is irrelevant to me and I think you're taking of out of context here.

As I said earlier, for mine the flag IS a symbol, it's a symbol that represents the country so when you disrespect the flag you disrespect the country. Can you make that link? Even if you choose not to agree, be assured that a lot of people do and you want to think very carefully about which flag you disrespect and where, in some places it could get you filletted.

Perhaps so. But what's wrong with "disrespecting the country"? One of this nation's supposedly long-cherished qualities has been the irreverence of its inhabitants. That means being able to take the piss out of ourselves, and it definitely means being able to take the piss out of the country and its symbols. We don't do aggressive patriotism, generally speaking, and thank god for that. We're not Americans. (Ironically, I'm starting to feel a little patriotic writing that... Confused Razz)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:58 am

Don't have a problem with irreverence or taking the P155.You can do both of those (and should, often) without being actually disrespectful.

You could take the P155 out of a bunch of turks and they'd likely join in with you. Wipe your arse with the turkish flag and it might be the last thing you ever do.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:57 pm

^ Yeah, but do you really want that kind of boneheaded nationalism here? I know I don't.

Irreverence by its very definition entails disrespect. Although they tend to be used in different contexts, they're practically synonymous. Violating sacred cows is irreverence of the best kind. I'd much prefer to live in a country where we can do that than one in which 'respect' is enforced by macho halfwits.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm sure I've said this before: I remember a time when people mostly didn't stand for the "national anthem" at the footy and recall the generalised cheers that went up at, eg, the 1977 second-semi final when Phabulous broke from the line-up and started running sprints to get himself warmed-up for the game. Now, people get very concerned - and sometimes aggressive - if you don't stand for the national anthem.

I always arrive just before the bounce on Anzac Day so that I don't have to suffer through the pre-game nonsense. I was brought up wrong, you see - my father fought against the Japanese in New Guinea and his view was (and remains, even in his dotage) that he did so in the hope that his children wouldn't have to stand for - or doff their cap to - authority. The paradox, of course, is that on Anzac Day I am unable to express my respect for my father's efforts in WWII in the only way he would find acceptable (that is, by remaining seated - and preferably chatting - during the "national anthem") for fear of being heckled by people who consider such behaviour unacceptable.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Well it seems like your parents did a good job.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:49 pm

i remember being at the Melbourne show with my dad and my older sister. we were leaving after the fireworks and the national anthem came on. I stopped, my dad stopped, my sister kept walking. my dad screamed "stand still you ignorant git, your not a bloody aussie yet!"

and I concur! not often I agree with my dad, but I do. it may be your right to ignore such "frivilties, and you may think your standing up for your beliefs by doing so, but those soldiers that have come back from war, and the relatives of those who didn't, they will judge you as something else. and their feelings mean a lot more than your pathetic little protest.

both my parents were in the airforce in Germany. my grandfather was a bomb disposal expert.

don't sit in front of me on Anzac day, cos youll hear me loud and clear

stand on your feet you ignorant, disrespectful, unappreciative, arrogant, selfish, git.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:00 pm

Rubbish, tp - my father fought in the war. And he very definitely doesn't want me to stand up. His considered view is that only "ignorant, disrespectful, unappreciative, arrogant, selfish, gits" stand.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Rubbish, tp - my father fought in the war. And he very definitely doesn't want me to stand up. His considered view is that only "ignorant, disrespectful, unappreciative, arrogant, selfish, gits" stand.
im surprised you don't just call us fools
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm

I just used the expression that I understood you to be directing at me, tp. There is a dilemma here, you see. Not everyone thinks it's a sign of respect to stand. Some people think that do so actively trashes the memory of the people who fought. Not everyone who fights in a war joins the RSL upon return.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:07 pm

I was directing it at anyone who sits and I can see em!

as for the rest, that's ridiculous, how could it possibly be seen as a sign of disrespect?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 pm

think positive wrote:
i remember being at the Melbourne show with my dad and my older sister. we were leaving after the fireworks and the national anthem came on. I stopped, my dad stopped, my sister kept walking. my dad screamed "stand still you ignorant git, your not a bloody aussie yet!"

and I concur! not often I agree with my dad, but I do. it may be your right to ignore such "frivilties, and you may think your standing up for your beliefs by doing so, but those soldiers that have come back from war, and the relatives of those who didn't, they will judge you as something else. and their feelings mean a lot more than your pathetic little protest.

both my parents were in the airforce in Germany. my grandfather was a bomb disposal expert.

don't sit in front of me on Anzac day, cos youll hear me loud and clear

stand on your feet you ignorant, disrespectful, unappreciative, arrogant, selfish, git.

I'm sorry, am I missing some inherent link between our national anthem and respecting military service? Where's the connection?

Most of our war dead never even heard Advance Australia Fair. It's less than 40 years old.

I wouldn't have a go at you for standing for the anthem, but I just hope you'd extend the same courtesy if I chose not to. Think about it this way: would you rather people stand because they feel a genuine swelling of national pride, or would you want people to do it because they're scared of looking bad? The latter's a little too North Koreaesque for my liking.

Last edited by David on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Oh aren't you sweet suggesting TP is less than 40 years old.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 pm

Take it easy. Are they exactly the same?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:50 am

Most of those who crap on about flags and national anthems have had very little experience with the menace of nationalism. Go live in Northeast Asia for a while when Japan, South Korea and China are burning each other's brands and embassies and you'll soon learn to hate the bloody things.

Watching Americans and Brits wank on about the glories of empire is vulgar enough even when you're not the target of their ignorant jingoism. Just imagine how everyone else feels.

Pretending anything represents some transcendent greatness is a fast track to idolatrous, brain dead misery, and the quickest way to turn otherwise sane individuals into drooling mobs of Neanderthals.

When you're in the extreme minority you very, very quickly learn to dread and hate displays of nationalism of any kind. It then only takes about two neuronal connections to work out that if you hate such displays, then your zombie national symbols are likely to be making others feel exactly the same way.

And, as they say, do unto others....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 542, 543, 544 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 543 of 719   

Jump to: