Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 680, 681, 682 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I think I'm getting old. Confused Sad Mad

Spent a few hours today clambering on roofs (the house and the shed) cleaning gutters. It's a lot higher and more slippery than it used to be, or I'm just getting old.

Grow a pair. My Dad still does this and he's 95. In fact, he's so good at it, he does mine, too (and it's three-storeys high). He does use the abseiling equipment, which may make it easier. Wink

To put things in perspective, as a self employed tradie approaching mid fifties, I have refused to climb ladders to make a living for ages. Far too many examples of us coming a cropper.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 pm

^

There's apparently some research supporting that, men over 50 shouldn't be climbing ladders, let alone stumbling round on roofs.

1 more time for me, I've got 1 side of the shed to go (14m) and after that, I'll pay some one.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

There's apparently some research supporting that, men over 50 shouldn't be climbing ladders, let alone stumbling round on roofs.

1 more time for me, I've got 1 side of the shed to go (14m) and after that, I'll pay some one.

you can get a tool thingy on a whatsmacallit that connects to the hose, do it from the ground, you can also get your son to do it!

my hubby had me hoist him on a forklift to fix a camera, it freaked me out, i put the forks down and said nope get something to stand on! he got a flat top pallet! Its not just i cant stand heights i dont want to see anyone else up there either! Ive been on single storey roofs, to help fix tiles, antennas, and an a/c, never again! except i just remembered ill have to do the sisalation soon! when we did this house it was blowing half a gale! man that was a long day!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Looking to buy a ute, the good car is getting messed up so a ute would be perfect to head up bush and do the bunnings runs in. Found a beauty online for $3500. Organised to go round this morning and take it for a spin.

Bloke messaged me last night, he's changed his mind and not selling.

Bugger.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm

That's a shame, Stui, but I guess better than buying it and later finding out from police it's stolen with fake papers.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I'd already run a check on the rego and Vin, registered, not stolen, not on finance and not written off.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Emergency Departments have quite a few on a regular basis. Older Greek men on ladders, fall then come to ED.

My father who died a few years ago at 93. When was in his 80's he lived next door (we had the side fence removed) was on top of ladder on top of his garage roof with a handsaw cutting branches off a tree. Mrs WPT said to ask me to do it ( I was at work) & he said yeah that's a good idea. A short time later he'd fallen. Lucky for him, the pergola helped break his fall. Off to the Alfred then rehab. He was better but felt numb down one of his legs stopped hm walking 8 km's per day but managed 4km's thereafter. (He also did 1 hour of resistance excercises daily.)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 am

Good on him, the exercise not the fall, I hope I keep that up, makes such a difference to quality of life
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 am

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/08/16/10/13/akon-guode-mum-who-killed-children-has-prison-sentenced-slashed-eight-years?ocid=social-9newsM

This is $$%^%%$ disgusting.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:53 am

^ interesting - I presume Lasry (the original judge whose 20 year minimum sentence has been overturned on appeal) is the same Judge who gave Robert Farquarson a minimum term of 33 years.

The courts,I suppose, have to embrace a psychiatric consensus which holds that people who are perfectly morally conscious can be only partly responsible for their actions. This was most grotesquely shown in the Anu Singh case (searingly documented by Helen Garner in Her book, Joe Cinques Consolation), but it seems to be at work here as well. Judges are not trained psychiatrists. And trained psychiatrists are not very far above medieval plague doctors. So now, 14 years will serve to express how we value the lives of three little children, deliberately and agonisingly drowned.

If her story is true, then she has suffered much in life : more than most of us will ever understand. And it is hard to feel that any mother would do what she has done without some deep fracture in her poor soul. But I cannot see how we can allow that to be an excuse, as it seems to be here. Its one of those moments where one wishes there was a God, who might know what justice looks like, in such a case.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 am

14 years wont pay for the lives of three children, but neither would 22, however, is jail where she should be? I cant possibly ever understand how a mother kills one of her children, let alone three, attempting four, and I thank God for that. No winners here, none at all.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am

I think there's a real problem with the way the justice system responds to defendants' personal histories. This may surprise some given my views on sentencing (i.e. I would like to see us work towards abolishing custodial sentencing altogether), but I generally don't believe that judges should reduce sentences out of sympathy for people with troubled backgrounds, and think the idea of some people 'deserving' lesser sentences because of what they've had to go through in life really problematic. All that should be taken into account is how those factors affect the degree of culpability and the prospects of rehabilitation. So I think the judge's comments in this case are unfortunate.

Otherwise, this is a tricky one because, one presumes, she like these fathers who kill their children will likely already be suffering in a way that no prison sentence could ever cause. I think it's fair to presume that she will not commit such a crime ever again. Beyond that, the difference between 18 vs 26 years seems kind of abstract;she will still spend a considerable proportion of the rest of her life behind bars. Isn't that a sufficient punishment? I'm not sure there's much to be outraged by here.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:37 am

David wrote:
I think there's a real problem with the way the justice system responds to defendants' personal histories. This may surprise some given my views on sentencing (i.e. I would like to see us work towards abolishing custodial sentencing altogether), but I generally don't believe that judges should reduce sentences out of sympathy for people with troubled backgrounds, and think the idea of some people 'deserving' lesser sentences because of what they've had to go through in life really problematic. All that should be taken into account is how those factors affect the degree of culpability and the prospects of rehabilitation. So I think the judge's comments in this case are unfortunate.

Otherwise, this is a tricky one because, one presumes, she like these fathers who kill their children will likely already be suffering in a way that no prison sentence could ever cause. I think it's fair to presume that she will not commit such a crime ever again. Beyond that, the difference between 18 vs 26 years seems kind of abstract;she will still spend a considerable proportion of the rest of her life behind bars. Isn't that a sufficient punishment? I'm not sure there's much to be outraged by here.

What do you mean... 'Like these fathers who kill their children' ??

When children (younger than 15) are killed in Australia, they are most likely to be killed by a family member (66.9 per cent), primarily a parent (94.2 per cent)," AIC research analyst Jenny Mouzos says in her report 'Homicidal Encounters.' Although fathers are responsible for most cases of filicide these numbers are inflated by the number of non-biological fathers who kill children.

When Mouzos crunched figures on the distribution of parents who killed children by gender and biological ties, she found biological mothers posed a more lethal risk to their own. Biological mothers account for about 35 per cent of all filicides (about the same proportion as stepfathers and de factos), while biological fathers account for 29 per cent

And.... on abuse of children....

The Western Australian figures shed light on who is likely to abuse children in families and are in line with overseas findings. The data show there were 1505 substantiations of child abuse in WA during the period 2007-8. Natural parents were responsible for 37% of total cases. Of these, mothers are identified as the perpetrator of neglect and abuse in a total of 73% of verified cases.

http://australianmensrights.com/Domestic_Violence_Statistics-Child_Abuse_Australia/Women_who_murder_their_Children-Australian_Statistics.aspx

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm

What do you mean "what do you mean"? I would have thought my point was fairly straightforward, and I don't see anything in your post that contradicts it.

This data suggests that slightly more fathers than mothers kill their children, but that both groups are common perpetrators:

https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi255
https://www.couriermail.com.au/rendezview/170-reasons-to-stand-up-to-violence-in-2018/news-story/08c130fef99c662d77b8be2b4af5d8e3

Either way, it's irrelevant to what I was saying.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't understand why you had to include... like fathers.

What has that got to do with this womans sentence being reduced?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 680, 681, 682 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 681 of 719   

Jump to: