Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pie Merchandise - what do people think?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:35 pm
Post subject: Pie Merchandise - what do people think?Reply with quote

a footy club's success depends on revenue from memberships, but I reckon that merchandising is important as well. soccer clubs like manchester united are filthy rich because of onfield success but also because their merchandise rakes in huge amounts of money. merchandising also helps with marketing.

the current range of c'wood merchandise is OK and comparable to other clubs, but I reckon they can do more. I'm thinking of writing to c'wood's marketing manager and provide them with some of the suggestions below:

Jumpers

Retro range - I reckon it would be fantastic to have replica old style c'wood jumpers, for instance, from the 1927-1930 premiership teams, or the 1958 team, or even the 1990 team. I love nostalgia, and it would be great to own one of these old style jumpers.

Numbering - I know people can number jumpers themselves, but maybe the club can provide a numbering service, so that the numbers are exactly how the players wear them. c'wood already has an onfield range. I think this would complement it.

Others

Executive Range - This can target the corporate sector. We already have Versace ties. How about cuff links, tie pins, rings, necklaces, pendants, filofaxes, blazer jackets with the c'wood emblem etc..

Beer - I know we are sponsored by TAC, but since we already sell c'wood port, why not beer? we can call it "Black and White Lager", or "Pie Bitter" (PB) Manchester United have their own beer. Maybe someone here who is a homebrew fan can come up with such a beer?? We can also have c'wood wine as well of course.

Mobile Phones - Since phones are so popular, maybe c'wood can join forces with a carrier and come up with a Magpie phone. they used to have those footy phone deals by optus, but with this idea, the money would go to the club. The phone can come preloaded with a c'wood phone cover, ringtone, logo, picture messages etc.. it would also come preloaded to receive thsoe c'wood SMS, news, etc..

anyway, just a thought

"consectatio excellentiae"
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i barrack for Liverpool and i have about five different Liverpool scarves and im going to order another two. One of the scarves says "KOP RULES" and the other scarf says "Michael Owen 10". The other scarves i have commemorate the Treble as well as Liverpools European Triumphs.

Maybe Collingwood could look at producing some different types of scarves with a few different slogans or players names. There is nothing better at a Liverpool game than watching the Kop end hold up all their scares as the players run out or at the end of the game. Couldnt Collingwood produce a scarf for each of our Premiership years or a scarf that commemorates our four Premierships in a row?

Just a thought

JLC

I am the game, you don't wanna play me
I am control, no way you can change me
I am have heavy debts, no way you can pay me
I am the pain, and I know you can't take me

Look over your shoulder, ready to run
Like a good little bitch, from a smoking gun
I am the game, and I make the rules
So move on out, and you can die like a fool
Play the game, you're gonna be the same
You're gonna change your name, you're gonna die in flames
Hahahahaha
Time to play the game!
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:02 pm

Good idea but....
Collingwood FC do not own their logo or name for that matter.
All AFL team logos are owned and registered to the AFL.
This means that EVERY dollar spent on CFC AFL approved merchandise is split 16 ways.
The only way CFC get any extra from the sale of B&W gear is if you buy it direct from the club itself. In that case they get their 1/16th share plus the retail mark-up component.
So, lets say the club works its guts out to provide the goods you want, and the other 15 scums get 1/16th of every dollar CFC earns! Is that fair? You be the judge.

-CRaig

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:32 pm

well i didnt know that b&w
i always buy from the club shop anyway, out of principle (who wants K-mart to get money??)

but if thats the case the AFL are wankers...why should we be penalised and subsidise a team we loath like the poos or [snip] dogs??

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:06 pm

if that's true craig, then it truly stinks. I can understand about shared marketing expenses among the clubs but once again, it's a case of the popular clubs subsidising the rest.

yeah I usually always buy from the club shop as well but it's frustrating sometimes because they're out of stock and I have to get stuff from the AFL shop. maybe we can make those items I mentioned exclusive to the club shop, so that people can only buy them there, and the extra proceeds go to the club??

good idea JLC re: scarves. we should definitely have one with the four premierships on it, as well as maybe different club badges throughout the club's history, a viccy park yarra falls end scarf, a "you'll never walk alone" scarf, a Daicos Magic scarf, etc..

"consectatio excellentiae"
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:20 pm

good call junkboy...i'd go for some sterling silver cuff links, tie pin and a few cool ties (silk of course dahlinks!)

some pies label reds would be nice too....get some limestone ridge relabelled eddie...and some XO cognac!

Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:58 pm

Even "exclusive" merchandise will give a share to the other clubs. Any use of the registered trade marks will.

paulie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:48 pm

I think the cheer squad use to sell some mercendise to raise funds a few years back are they selling anything at the moment like t shirts? I can remember buying a few bits and pieces when I was a kid.Perhaps replica gold wigs would be the go

Magpie_Dan Taurus

The KING And I

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:10 pm

Very good ideas JUNKBOY, but what I reckon is when they sell the jumpers before they sell them they should get the numbers PRINTED onto the back of the jumpers!!!!!

Go The Pies!

Dan

Go The Richo!

UNLEASH THE VL TURBO!

GeorgeQ 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 3:37 am

As a finess freak who boxes, runs, and cycles I think a range of gym gear would find a market. The gym I attend has numerous Collingwood supporters who purchase a vast amount of singlets, shorts, socks, and T-shirts every year. I would love to get hold of one of those summer training singlets however they do not sell them. I can get gym gear of all types with Rugby League stuff all over it, wish I could get some decent pies stuff.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:14 am

I agree that it stinks that the AFL have the monopoly on club Merchandise.
I tried to buy some gear thru Kmart's an line shop only to be told'SORRY NOT AVAILABLE INTERSTATE' why I asked,because the license is owned by the AFL in Victoria and is licensed to Pro Tech in Melbourne.
On contacting the Collingwood shop I was informed that PRO TECH was last years stock and no longer applicable,so where do we get our gear interstate,when the cost of the item plus postage/cartage is more expensive than buying local.
If one walks into a Kmart in Sydney,there is 65% NRL and 20% AFL and the remainder NBL,so where is the Justice.
The AFL arent even interested in talking to the interstaters,and as far as they are concerned.....buy thru your local footy club and hopefully you can get a discount if you ask the right questions....what are the right questions.
The AFL own the rights to everything these days and alsong with TELSTRA,GUESS who is paying thru the nose????WE ARE....THE SUPPORTER

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: