Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

SWEARING AT THE FOOTBALL (G RATED TOPIC)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:11 pm
Post subject: SWEARING AT THE FOOTBALL (G RATED TOPIC)Reply with quote

Im writing this topic to get everyones views on swearing at the football. Is it acceptable to swear in the outer? If so what words are acceptable? Everyone seems to get on there high horse and say swearing is a no no but the reality is swearing is just about in every movie we watch today.

I think that in family areas that swearing should not be allowed as it does not seem appropriate. But as the saying goes when you are in rome you do as the romans do (thanks mandy for that saying ). So if you go in the Outer then surely you must expect to hear some colurful language??

Im sure most people will be against swearing and thats fine as we live in a democracy but i believe in any field of life that we enter swearing has become a part of it. I dont mind being told off for swearing so long as the person doing the telling off does not swear themselves?

Just out of interest do people from this board in the heat of the moment swear at the football?

I am the game, you don't wanna play me
I am control, no way you can change me
I am have heavy debts, no way you can pay me
I am the pain, and I know you can't take me

Look over your shoulder, ready to run
Like a good little bitch, from a smoking gun
I am the game, and I make the rules
So move on out, and you can die like a fool
Play the game, you're gonna be the same
You're gonna change your name, you're gonna die in flames
Hahahahaha
Time to play the game!
SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

does a bear sh*t in the woods? LOL

yes i swear, very frequently..i believe its part of the passion of the game, it just comes out.

i think everyone who goes to footy should just accept it and also expect it..this way there wouldnt be as many complaints.

and yeah..you hear worse in most movies these days so who cares right? all very hypocritical....

magpie24 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:39 am

Im ocassionally guilty on this one JLC.
Last Week at the Richmond game in the first Quarter i couldnt help it.

Funny you should metion the swearing,just last week i said to my brother after the first quarter,maybe i should go and sit with the unofficial,cos i could see i was giving the thearte goers the shits.

******WE WILL RISE IN OUR OWN WAY*****
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:56 am

I hear what you are saying Magpie24. There is nothing worse than when you have to reserve a ticket for a game for a seat that you normally get every week for free and then a johnny come lately comes and sits next to you and starts reading you the code of conduct for the football. By the way you know you are more than welcome to sit with us in the Outer Cheersquad. I seem to remember that last year you came down and sat with us for at least one or two games.

cheers JLC

Hahahahaha
Time to play the game!
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:52 am

Swearing is a part of football sadly. I'm guilty of it but I do tend to say it under my breath, I'm not one who yells out. I think JLC is right, no swearing in family areas. People pay to go to the footy and shouldn't have to listen to language that offends them, especially if there are kids are around.

The key to stopping swearing at the football. Well to me the key is the umpires. I know your reading this!!!!!! try getting it right this week and I won't have anything to mutter about under my breath.

Fradam Wrote This
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:57 am

I swear at the football sometimes - I usually take care to check who's around me at the start of the game (like little kids or the elderly), and I NEVER swear if my mum's there with me (pathetic, huh? I'm nearly 30 for godsakes and still can't swear in front of my mum! ) However, last week I watched the game at my local pub, and swore nonstop - combination of alcohol and atmosphere, I guess!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:28 am

I am not particularly keen on people swearing at the football although I certainly expect to hear it.
It can be less offensive if used in an amusing chant or directed at certain opposition players or something of that nature.
It's much worse when the person swearing is agro because their team is losing or whatever.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:47 am

I'll be ****ed if I know what really is a swear word these days, and that will be the essence of the problem.

There are references to people's ethnicity that I find pretty offensive, but the terms used aren't swear words. "I hope you fall flat on your arse, Carey" is pretty tame. "Carey takes it up the arse" is pretty offensive, even if potentially true.

A gentile looking Carlton supporter turned around and called me a c*** in front of her two pre-teen daughters when I dared suggest that that Stan Magro's only sin was not to weigh as much as Rene Kink when he cleaned up Jezza that afternoon at Princess Park.

In fact, I think that the 'c' word is probably the only one you can expect not to hear (and its probably only a matter of time before its as generally accepted as the others).

And lets not go al PC in this. Footy is an emotional release for many people. Educate your kids as to why people swearg and where it might be considered appropriate, coz I'll be ****ed if I can think of a way to stop it.

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:03 am

I went off last week, something about dickhead Richmond supporters that gets up my goat (is that how the saying goes???)

Fradam did not write this!
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:31 am

why is it that the "c" word is abhorred while swear words based on male genitalia, like dickhead, is more "accepted" and is used as much by women as it is by men.

anyway, I agree with the above sentiments. I don't mind it so much if people swear out of an emotional response to, say, a bad umpiring decision or an easy miss on goal. I do mind when someone swears just for the sake of swearing, esp. when there are family and kids around.

"consectatio excellentiae"
Elvira Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:32 am

GUILTY YOUR HONOUR!!

I know it's not very lady like but sometimes I just can’t control myself. It's those White Maggots & the Bogan Richmond Supporters, they bring out the worst in me!!

Always Proud & Passionate
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:51 am

of course we should be allowed to swear at the footy. it's all part of the passion.

if the AFL is so worried about it they should segregate the crowd, so that there's a defined family area, and an area reserved (behind the goals) for the most passionate supporters of one team (including the cheer squad). and the opposition's most feral supporters could also have their own bay or two.

that'd be wicked i reckon. the thing is, most of the really crazy supporters don't mind sitting behind the goals. families seems to like sitting somewhere on the wing, where there's a great view. give families with young children first crack at the good wing seats, and just say to all of us 'you've got free reign of the area behind the goals'. it'd be unreal! you'd get a real kind of community going in that area, because it'd all be black and white. imagine the noise made by about three bays of the most passionate pie supporters in the world!

this is all a bit of a pipe dream, i know. but it really would be wicked.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:59 am

Good thinking Foxy

I say we sack Wayne Jackson and make Foxy CEO of the AFL.

Fradam Wrote This
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:19 am

Most people are going to swear and swear loudly at the footy at some stage. The difference is whether it is gratuitous and every second word, or in the heat of passion (no... I'm talking about football). And it's a matter of being aware of who's around you. I don't think there are too many people who, after letting loose with a string of expletives, wouldn't feel a bit self-conscious when they look down and see a wide eyed six year old looking up at them in amazement.

It's also being considerate. Many a time a family with children will object to continual and gratuitous swearing and then be abused for their trouble, we've all seen it happen. It's this behaviour that brings the issue to a head and spoils it for everyone.

It's a part of football, but it's a part that should be used with a little thought.

Now, swearing in a footy chat room. Different story. We have no idea who is around us in a chat room, there is no filter on the computer that only allows broad minded adults into the room. Also swearing using a keyboard requires you to actually type the words out, so it's a bit hard to use the heat of passion (still footy) as an excuse. We have always asked people to tone it down in the scoreboard chat for that reason. It's not that we're prudes or don't swear ourselves, it's because we want the room to be open to all Pies supporters and if we allow free use of swearing, it's not. It's the same reason that we don't encourage it here on the Bulletin Board.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:43 am

Wow im glad everyone is fairly liberal around here and im not all alone in this issue. Sometimes at the football you are made to feel like an outcast of society when you let go with a bit of colourful language in the heat of the game.

Anyway if i hear swearing at tomorrows game i will think of everyone who posted on this topic

jlc

Hahahahaha
Time to play the game!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: