Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home phone, Broadband and wireless laptop plans

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:
I'd be careful with Optus though. My parents were with them for a long time til recently, and continuously had issues with the service dropping out, not to mention, their crappy customer service centre.

Telstra are also very expensive, but are usually most up to date with their services.

But Telstras customer service was non existant, not there on weekends and shut by 6 each night

Although just looking at their website they have rectified this problem at long last

When i get my new laptop this week I will probably look for a new internet provider as well with wireless

BigPond's tech support has always been 24/7. I know, i've called them a few times over the past 6 years or so.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:34 pm

Joel wrote:
I highly recommend Internode for home broadband.

I'm on ADSL 2+ 20G, which costs $60. However, this is only available at exchanges with Internode equipment installed in them.

Internode recently raised their prices on most plans, but you will get highly reliable Internet.

Really do your reasearch, and definitely read Whirlpool. I chose Internet based on my research via Whirlpool.

Make sure you checkout Broadband Choice on whirlpool: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

You can do a plan search. See what suits you then either post back here, or in the the 'Choosing an ISP' forum on Whirlpool: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=92

For wireless coverage around Australia, you will have to choose someone like Telstra (NextG)for complete coverage. Though, they are expensive. There are alternatives but the coverage isn't as good.

Btw, if you have the right hardware, you can take advantage of VOIP (voice over internet protocol) which allows you to makes calls over the net. Like I said, you need the right hardware. With Internode I pay 18c for untimed local and national (STD) calls. Calling other people with Internode VOIP (Nodephone) costs nothing. I call family and friends with Nodephone
for as long as I want for free.

http://www.internode.on.net/

i pay nothing for local calls with Telstra. It's part of the package i'm on with single bill, doesn't include my bigpond though account though, just the mobiles,k phone and Foxtel.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:
I'd be careful with Optus though. My parents were with them for a long time til recently, and continuously had issues with the service dropping out, not to mention, their crappy customer service centre.

Telstra are also very expensive, but are usually most up to date with their services.

But Telstras customer service was non existant, not there on weekends and shut by 6 each night

Although just looking at their website they have rectified this problem at long last

When i get my new laptop this week I will probably look for a new internet provider as well with wireless

BigPond's tech support has always been 24/7. I know, i've called them a few times over the past 6 years or so.

I said Customer service, not tech support, everytime you ring tech support its never their problem Rolling Eyes

Hell the last time I rang then they claimed there was no problem at their end, all my fault despite me knowing many bigpond customers with the same problem that night
Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:47 pm

Coming from a customer service centre, you're an idiot if you are ringing Tech Support for Account Questions. These companies are huge, and those teams don't have the time, nor resources to be trained on other teams procedures.

Customer Service for any company is usually 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday. You'd be mad to expect service like that on a weekend.

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:59 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:

I said Customer service, not tech support, everytime you ring tech support its never their problem Rolling Eyes

Hell the last time I rang then they claimed there was no problem at their end, all my fault despite me knowing many bigpond customers with the same problem that night

i ditched telstra because of their support and i never want to go back.

i think 24/7 must mean you wait 24 minutes to be connected to an IVR machine that asks you 7 stupid questions.

very happy with iinet internet connection and price (although i have struggled to get voip working properly).
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 pm

Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:
Coming from a customer service centre, you're an idiot if you are ringing Tech Support for Account Questions. These companies are huge, and those teams don't have the time, nor resources to be trained on other teams procedures.

Customer Service for any company is usually 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday. You'd be mad to expect service like that on a weekend.

I wasnt, but they have now opened their accounts department on the weekend as well as being opened later during the week, Optus was always open on a weekend as well and late

But as for wanting service at other times, does that mean that anyone who works cannot expect any customer service from these companies?
Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:04 pm

Well, what about the people that work at these companies also Eddie??

I don't blame Telstra for always having high prices, they put a lot of money into their teams for training etc, same with AAPT.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:09 pm

eddiesmith wrote:

yes, you did say customer service, but since it was posted under a post which was talking about drop outs etc, i assumed you had confused the two sections. And, i was letting you know that Tech Support is 24/7, in case you or anyone else here didn't know.

I've never had a problem with Tech Support when i've rung them and they've been able to fix my problem pretty much straight away.

As for Customer Service, why would accounts and billing be 24/7? AS with most other industries, 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, i don't have a problem with that, and if i need to ring them, i do so during that time frame. But, if your happy with Optus having Customer Service on weekends, perhaps you should be with them!

And it's those people that want customer service 24/7 for everything, which sends our jobs overseas when the companies outsource to India, Malaysia and other areas of the world.

Last edited by Proud Pies on Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:17 pm

How does the internet port work in hotels and holiday apartments? If I take my laptop and modem, will I be able to just use my laptop like I was at home?
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:

yes, you did say customer service, but since it was posted under a post which was talking about drop outs etc, i assumed you had confused the two sections. And, i was letting you know that Tech Support is 24/7, in case you or anyone else here didn't know.

I've never had a problem with Tech Support when i've rung them and they've been able to fix my problem pretty much straight away.

As for Customer Service, why would accounts and billing be 24/7? AS with most other industries, 9 - 5 Mon - Fri, i don't have a problem with that, and if i need to ring them, i do so during that time frame. But, if your happy with Optus having Customer Service on weekends, perhaps you should be with them!

Any other company I need to get in contact with is usually available 7 days a week, Foxtel I can get in touch with any day up untill midnight, dont want 24 hours but 9-5 Mon-Fri is too restrictive and it seems they have finally woken up to this
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:20 pm

and eddie, is the industry your in open 24/7? Oh that's right, your not in one.

Think of the people who work in these industries, as I said in my (edited) post, this is the reason companies outsource overseas. I'd rather have the jobs stay here in Australia thank you and keep people here employed.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:22 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:
How does the internet port work in hotels and holiday apartments? If I take my laptop and modem, will I be able to just use my laptop like I was at home?

depends if they are wireless or cable. I think the tech heads here would have a better idea.

Hang on a minute Kaylene, are you telling me that when you go on holidays to queensland, your going to waste time online?

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:33 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:

As long as they supply broadband, you just plug in the line to your laptop and it works. You only need the modem that's built into the laptop.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:15 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:

You will not be able to access your internet from a hotel. You would be using the hotel's Internet which is very very costly. Btw, Internode have many free wireless hotspots in SA, which you might find helpful: https://hotspot.internode.on.net/coverage/

So, if you are near one of these hotspots when you are on the move, and as long as your laptop can receive wireless signals then you will be able to use these hotspots for nothing.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:22 pm

There's no wireless hot spots in Port Douglas, (that I know of) but absolutely heaps of internet cafe options in the main drag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: