Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home phone, Broadband and wireless laptop plans

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:23 am
Post subject: Home phone, Broadband and wireless laptop plansReply with quote

I am thinking of changing my internet provider. I am now on un unlimited Broadband plan with Home phone and this cost me around $100 a month. I have a PC and a laptop that has wireless connection, that I can only use at home.

I want to be able to use the laptop away from home, while on holidays, but don't want to pay big bucks for this.

I have heard about those USB Cards you can insert in the laptop, but not sure of the cost or how they work. Or do you just take your modem with you when you go on holidays?

Any suggestions or recomendations on good plans around at the moment?

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

kaylene - whirlpool is a good site for researching broadband plans:

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/

iinet and internode (SA company) are generally considered to be good isp's, although i think that internode recently jacked their prices up.

don't know much about portable wireless devices. wireless notebook cards apparantly work well, but you're right, you would need to know about costs before getting into it.

other portable solutions are things like "unwired" but i have a feeling they are limited in that they only work in some capital cities.

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:28 pm

I highly recommend iiNet!!!

Unwired is proven to be a rip off, and not exactly the most reliable service. Wireless cards are good, but how are you going to set this up? Are you going to have a main pc in your home set up via a broadband phone line, then a laptop with a wireless router, or different to that?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:45 pm

I'm with Telstra and have wireless broadband at home which I can connect to with a laptop using the inbuilt wireless connection.

You can use the same thing at wireless hotspots around the place without any extra gear.

If you want complete mobility, Telstra also has the Next G wireless USB modem which gives you the same coverage as you would have with your mobile phone.

Don't know what the pricing plans are though.

Whirlpool is a good place to compare ISP's I agree, they don't like Bigpond very much because they count uploads in your download limit.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm with Telstra and have wireless broadband at home which I can connect to with a laptop using the inbuilt wireless connection.

You can use the same thing at wireless hotspots around the place without any extra gear.

If you want complete mobility, Telstra also has the Next G wireless USB modem which gives you the same coverage as you would have with your mobile phone.

Don't know what the pricing plans are though.

Whirlpool is a good place to compare ISP's I agree, they don't like Bigpond very much because they count uploads in your download limit.

And Optus have just launched a new plan which also counts uploads and other ISP's are thinking of doing the same due to the high amount of uploads to things like Myspace and UTube.

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:12 pm

I'd be careful with Optus though. My parents were with them for a long time til recently, and continuously had issues with the service dropping out, not to mention, their crappy customer service centre.

Telstra are also very expensive, but are usually most up to date with their services.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:16 pm

most expensive and over-rated service is from Telstra......they charge for every little thing. Whirlpool are quite right in their assessments of Telstra's BigPond.

yes, yes, i'm with them too, i know, but where i live, i can't get anything else.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Expensive is relative, I pay $70 a month for the fastest cable they have, slowed down (throttles) after 10 gig with no extra charges.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm

We're with TransACT. I've been running into problems recently because I want to download movies, but I'm not sure what our download limit is, or what happens if I exceed that (my Dad doesn't seem to know anything about it either).

So yeah broadband kind of confuses me Razz

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:45 pm

David wrote:
We're with TransACT. I've been running into problems recently because I want to download movies, but I'm not sure what our download limit is, or what happens if I exceed that (my Dad doesn't seem to know anything about it either).

So yeah broadband kind of confuses me Razz

What gets me is that ACT is the Capital of this country, but their broadband and FOXTEL servicing is CRAP!

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:
I'd be careful with Optus though. My parents were with them for a long time til recently, and continuously had issues with the service dropping out, not to mention, their crappy customer service centre.

Telstra are also very expensive, but are usually most up to date with their services.

But Telstras customer service was non existant, not there on weekends and shut by 6 each night

Although just looking at their website they have rectified this problem at long last

When i get my new laptop this week I will probably look for a new internet provider as well with wireless
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Dunno when that was Eddie, the Bigpond service centres have been open last and on weekend for years.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Dunno when that was Eddie, the Bigpond service centres have been open last and on weekend for years.

The customer service was not open a couple of months ago on weekends, the bill said only Mon-Fri 8-6 and I tried them and got that message they were shut
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Expensive is relative, I pay $70 a month for the fastest cable they have, slowed down (throttles) after 10 gig with no extra charges.

My friend! You are being ripped.
I pay $79.95 per month for 1500/264 20/20 GB!
Thats 20Gb betweem 7am and midnight and 20Gb from midnight to 7am.
Throttled if you go over the limit, but only throttled for the 20Gb that you have broken.

http://www.netspace.net.au/
http://www.netspace.net.au/broadband/plans.php

Been with this mob for over 2 years and they are excellent. Never had an outage, never had a tech problem.
I pity anyone who are with Telstra. As soon as you can get the hell out of your contract.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 pm

I highly recommend Internode for home broadband.

I'm on ADSL 2+ 20G, which costs $60. However, this is only available at exchanges with Internode equipment installed in them.

Internode recently raised their prices on most plans, but you will get highly reliable Internet.

Really do your reasearch, and definitely read Whirlpool. I chose Internet based on my research via Whirlpool.

Make sure you checkout Broadband Choice on whirlpool: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

You can do a plan search. See what suits you then either post back here, or in the the 'Choosing an ISP' forum on Whirlpool: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=92

For wireless coverage around Australia, you will have to choose someone like Telstra (NextG)for complete coverage. Though, they are expensive. There are alternatives but the coverage isn't as good.

Btw, if you have the right hardware, you can take advantage of VOIP (voice over internet protocol) which allows you to makes calls over the net. Like I said, you need the right hardware. With Internode I pay 18c for untimed local and national (STD) calls. Calling other people with Internode VOIP (Nodephone) costs nothing. I call family and friends with Nodephone
for as long as I want for free.

http://www.internode.on.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: