Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tim Lane

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:42 pm
Post subject: Tim LaneReply with quote

Just heard that Tim Lane has quit channel 9. He says that his agreement stated that Eddie would not be involved in commentating Collingwood games yet now, as we know, Eddie is.
He says that if he commentated with Eddie it would suggest that he supported Eddie's 'duel roles'.
Athough I personally have no problem with Eddie's duel roles I think the Tim has shown guts in standing up for what he believes.

PS Congratulations to me. I've been a member of this board for nearly two years and this is the first time I've started a topic!

'caveat pica pica'
Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you hear that?

That's a tragic loss for Nine's footy, as Lane is the premier caller in the nation.

I wonder why it took this long for a decision (if it is real), considering Eddie & Nine have been stating for weeks that he would call our games.

Broadie
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:54 pm

Sources?!?

JDF
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:22 pm

Lane was probably waiting to see if Eddie would back down on the calling controversy. No doubt he'll now be picked up by 10 or Foxtel.

Anyway, it's not a good season for T.Lanes - they're quitting everywhere!

S.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.
The Incandescent One.

The Collingwood Rant.
RANT!
The AFL Ranting Board.
Don’t believe the Facts until you’ve read the Rants!
Bones 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:01 pm

To be honest, i don't think Eddie should be calling any Collingwood games. Ok so he has done it on radio before BUT he has a responsibility as President of Collingwood to be doing other duties. The first time he gets carried away with a biased call, all the critics will come out with guns blazing.

I do hope Tim Lane gets picked up by 10 or Fox. He is most definately one of the top 4 callers we have...

El Barto 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:22 pm

Ed shouldn't be calling Collingwood games on the TV, he had the morals not to do so on MMM after he became Prez and that should of continued on TV

And anyway, I reckon Ed is a pretty average play-by-play caller myself and should stick to the hosting

Lane's loss makes the Nine commentary team look pretty poor

[This message has been edited by El Barto (edited 27 March 2002).]

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:17 pm

More collingwood bashing blah blah blah

I can only hope eddie told him to go and get STUFFED!!!!!

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:19 pm

LOL Joffa.
be a change from the commentaters barracking for hawthorn won't it?.
Give em sh*t Eddie.

paulie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:19 pm

I personally dont see a problem with eddie calling collingwood games i think it always made for entertaining coverage on radio. I'll never forget the passion in eddies voice when he called games on radio with the pies envoled.I'm sorry i won't hear his calls much this year as i will be yelling myself hoarse at the games.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:10 pm

Hey paulie

Im sorry but its been cancelled and thank you for your willingness to participate.
joff

1892 _ 2002... THE PROUDEST JOURNEY IN FOOTBALL CONTINUES, WITH ARMS LOCKED TOGETHER,WHILST MARCHING SIDE BY SIDE, WE WILL FOREVER STAND AS ONE TO SUPPORT OUR BELOVED COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB, it's more than just a club it's a way of life !

paulie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:14 pm

no worries mate thanx for the message looking forward to hearing my first cricketers pre game speech

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:43 am

Tell him to get stuffed Eddie!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:45 am

I'm also a fan of Tim lane, but I'm a fan of Tim lane on radio. No-one comes near Tim Lane as a radio footy commentator and if this means that we'll get more of him on radio, then more power to Eddie.

Why should Eddie not commentate Collingwood games? Lets not hear the old furphy of conflict of interest, it just doesn't apply here. There is no way that Eddie can compromise or promote either his personal or the Club's position as a commentator with everyone watching and waiting for a slip. If, for example, Emirates happened to get an inappropriate plug, the whole media world would descend on him - probably led by Caro. Actually, Eddie is probably more restricted and less likely to behave inappropriately than any other commentator because of his profile - his job is done in the public eye and everything he does is scrutinised.

As for bias. I respect Tim Lane's decision and his stated reasons, but the inevitable media beat-up has followed. Let's look at it rationally; the job couldn't be more public, with every word Eddie says heard by hundreds of thousands of people. How long will he keep his credibility if his calls are biased towards Collingwood. Give me someone who wears his bias openly any time, because I can then trust what I hear, knowing that there is no hidden agenda.

This is great for Collingwood - the opening day of the season and I've heard Collingwood mentioned in every news break. No other Club is getting this exposure. The reason is the Eddie / Collingwood combination. Collingwood is, and always has been, newsworthy. We've all known it forever - if there is no news about Collingwood, somebody will create some, because the Collingwood is news. Now, read that previous sentence again, only this time take out 'Collingwood' and insert 'Eddie McGuire' - it still reads true. How great is that!!? And how appropriate that someone with Eddie's ability to keep himself in the news should be leading the Club that can't stay out of it.

More power to Collingwood and more power to Eddie - what a great combination!

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:58 am

I don't know what all the furore is about. I think it's great that Eddie will be calling Collingwood games - he knows his football and naturally he knows his Club as well. He is well aware that the spotlight will be on him and that he must remain unbiased and I have no doubt he's professional enough to do that.

Besides most commentators have their favourite team and it's well known. ie. Dermott, Gary Lyon, Denis Commetti. I don't know why Eddie's been given such a hard time over this. At least he's honest and up-front about his loyalties and I'm sure he'll do a fantastic (and unbiased) call tonight.

GO PIES & GO EDDIE!

Marg

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 5:30 am

as eddie said last night on the footy show, would it make any difference if tomorrow, he quit as either the president of c'wood or a channel 9 commentator? would it decrease the level of scrutiny placed on him, or reduce the accusations of bias when he calls c'wood games as a commentator only and not a president? of course not. as he said, he has been in journalism and media work long enough to have surely developed some sense of protocol and integrity regarding professional conduct, and his willingness to be completely transparent and accountable about his dual roles has to be respected.

the 'conflict of interest' crowd are just suffering from sour grapes. to use footy parlance, it ain't holding the ball until the umpire says so, not matter how much people boo, or whinge, or deride. similarly, it isn't conflict of interest until the AFL, or channel 9, deems that it is. the only thing is that eddie wears his heart on his sleeve regarding c'wood, which is why he is continually attacked, and people do not need much of an excuse to have a dig at c'wood. it is interesting to note, however, that those having the biggest beef with this are the media and general public, not those who arguably stand to suffer the biggest backlash should eddie's dual roles actually becomes a problem - namely kerry packer, the AFL, or the c'wood board. 'nuff said.

"consectatio excellentiae"

[This message has been edited by junkboy75 (edited 28 March 2002).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: