Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Great Big Consolidated Alan Didak thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

what's that? A bikie's clubhouse brawl? lol
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Did anyone actually read this? Eddie seems to give Gary Pert a bit of a whack in it.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/didak-would-have-been-traded-mcguire-says/2007/07/07/1183351501459.html

Didak would have been traded, McGuire says

July 7, 2007 - 1:50PM

Alan Didak's alcohol ban extends to the end of next season, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said today.

And he revealed the club was on the verge of trading the wayward forward at the end of this year following his recent night out with alleged killed Christopher Wayne Hudson.

But McGuire explained that the "onerous conditions" the club had made contingent on Didak remaining a Magpie included an extended ban on him drinking alcohol and a 1am curfew.

He strongly defended the club's handling of the Didak affair, saying his punishment had been appropriately severe.

"You'd expect him to get through this year given all the publicity," McGuire told Southern Cross Radio.

"What about if it happens in round two next year and we've got a bloke on the list getting paid and he can't play for the next 19 weeks and he becomes out of contract and out of sorts at the club.

"So we're taking a fair bit on ... we're all in this together."

McGuire said the club and Didak would review the situation at the end of the season but said the alcohol ban would remain until the end of 2008.

"It does, but over the summer we're going to sit down and address it at the end of the year," he said.

He said the AFL Players' Association had sanctioned changes in Didak's contract to allow for the revised conditions.

McGuire confirmed that if Didak was found to have been out after 1am or drinking he would automatically be sacked.

He said that in a meeting with McGuire, coach Mick Malthouse and chief executive Gary Pert, Didak was told: "Alan, you're out. What do you want to do to stay at Collingwood, or do you want to stay at Collingwood?

"And if you want we'll clear you, at the end of the year there'll be no problem.

"If he had said I want to keep drinking and my civil liberties are that I can go out, and get stuffed - he was quite entitled to do so - we said to him, mate, if you want to do that that's fine but you can't play at Collingwood any more."

Meanwhile, McGuire said he partly agreed with criticism of the Didak press conference in which he failed to properly explain his actions.

"I think Gary (Pert) interjected too much," he said.

"I think there was one question that Alan was prepared to answer and could have answered and should have answered and that was: Did he know this bloke beforehand?

"All he had to say was no and everyone would have left him alone - but Gary jumped on it."

AAP

I don't recall him ever rebuffing Greg Swann like this before

Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:28 pm

[quote="Proud Pies"]Did anyone actually read this? Eddie seems to give Gary Pert a bit of a whack in it.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/didak-would-have-been-traded-mcguire-says/2007/07/07/1183351501459.html

Didak would have been traded, McGuire says

July 7, 2007 - 1:50PM

Alan Didak's alcohol ban extends to the end of next season, Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said today.

And he revealed the club was on the verge of trading the wayward forward at the end of this year following his recent night out with alleged killed Christopher Wayne Hudson.

But McGuire explained that the "onerous conditions" the club had made contingent on Didak remaining a Magpie included an extended ban on him drinking alcohol and a 1am curfew.

He strongly defended the club's handling of the Didak affair, saying his punishment had been appropriately severe.

"You'd expect him to get through this year given all the publicity," McGuire told Southern Cross Radio.

"What about if it happens in round two next year and we've got a bloke on the list getting paid and he can't play for the next 19 weeks and he becomes out of contract and out of sorts at the club.

"So we're taking a fair bit on ... we're all in this together."

McGuire said the club and Didak would review the situation at the end of the season but said the alcohol ban would remain until the end of 2008.

"It does, but over the summer we're going to sit down and address it at the end of the year," he said.

He said the AFL Players' Association had sanctioned changes in Didak's contract to allow for the revised conditions.

McGuire confirmed that if Didak was found to have been out after 1am or drinking he would automatically be sacked.

He said that in a meeting with McGuire, coach Mick Malthouse and chief executive Gary Pert, Didak was told: "Alan, you're out. What do you want to do to stay at Collingwood, or do you want to stay at Collingwood?

"And if you want we'll clear you, at the end of the year there'll be no problem.

"If he had said I want to keep drinking and my civil liberties are that I can go out, and get stuffed - he was quite entitled to do so - we said to him, mate, if you want to do that that's fine but you can't play at Collingwood any more."

Meanwhile, McGuire said he partly agreed with criticism of the Didak press conference in which he failed to properly explain his actions.

"I think Gary (Pert) interjected too much," he said.

"I think there was one question that Alan was prepared to answer and could have answered and should have answered and that was: Did he know this bloke beforehand?

"All he had to say was no and everyone would have left him alone - but Gary jumped on it."

AAP

I don't recall him ever rebuffing Greg Swann like this before[/quote

maybe because the answer is ''yes'' ... Rolling Eyes

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:48 pm

There is a lot of hokey pokey going on and I just hope we can get on and concentrate on the footy.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:11 pm

Is this thread still going? Let it die.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:34 am
Post subject: Re: Tim Lane on DidakReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
In today's Age Tim Lane makes some very good points re Didak.
Here is a quote.

A club banning an adult from drinking is surely an outrageous breach of his rights. Didak says he doesn't believe he has a drinking problem. From now, if he sits down and has a can of beer while watching a movie or a game of footy on TV, he violates his contract.

If he chooses to exercise his rights as a citizen and do it publicly, he's a goner. Such a draconian measure looks suspiciously like one intended to speak of firm action. Unfortunately, it's firm but not fair.

Couldn't agree more; smacks of of a knee jerk reaction; is impossible to enforce and is a breach of civil liberties.

A suspension for a week would have sent a message and given Didak some rest from the public and media spotlight.

Do you have any opinion on this issue that don't come out of "The Age"?

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:04 am

Captain_MyCaptain wrote:
maybe because the answer is ''yes'' ... Rolling Eyes

gee, sorry! i couldn't see that it had been posted anywhere, so thought i'd 'share it and ask'.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:38 pm

ON a designated night off, you have a couple of drinks and then make one poor decision ... to accept a ride from a stranger.
Look at the ridiculous aftermath.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
ON a designated night off, you have a couple of drinks and then make one poor decision ... to accept a ride from a stranger.
Look at the ridiculous aftermath.

I think he may have had a little more than a couple drinks. Unless he was drinking lemonade and alcohol doesn't count of course.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:45 pm

That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were talking about [quote] If the info.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 am

Apologies for bringing this thread back up, but there's a very good article in the Age about Cousins which has a go at the tendancy of people to become the moral police.

I particularly liked this bit.
Quote:
At the MCG last Saturday, Geelong fans among the crowd of 85,000 greeted Collingwood "bad boy" Alan Didak with the now customary jeers. Some may have done so with less enthusiasm when presented with a long list of crimes and misdemeanours committed by several past and present Cats, including the great Gary Ablett.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-just-another-flawed-footballer/2007/07/18/1184559870144.html

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:52 pm

As much as GA snr was a super player, off field he makes Dids look like a choir boy. Bloody Cat ingrates!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Page 34 of 34   

Jump to: