Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match - The Big One: Collingwood v Hawthorn

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
Options for Filling the Rocca Hole?

Which do we like if Rocca isn’t at full forward, how do we fill the gap, these are the possibilities as far as I can see:

Option 1: Bring in Chris Bryan for Rocca and play Fraser or Bryan in Rocca’s spot all day while the other rotates in the ruck with Richards

Option 2: Bring in Ben Reid for Rocca and play Travis Cloke in Rocca’s spot and have Reid play the Cloke role further up the ground (I don’t think Reid is strong enough to play purely Rocca’s position deep forward)

Option 3: Bring in Medhurst for Rocca and play a very small forward line of Medhurst, Didak, Davis, Thomas with just Cloke as the big target.

Option 4: Bring in Medhurst plus Reid (or Bryan). It would obviously mean dropping a spare defender/midfielder such as Dutchy or Stanners. It's recognition that Rocca is worth 2 players.

At this stage probably option 4, though I haven't seen enough of the Hawk's defence to really know. Dids seems to be getting fitter, so he doesn't need to play as close to goals and hopefully can play his assist game. That leaves Reid on the lead, Medders in the square, Trav in his usual role, Daisy as per last week and Leon at the fall of the ball. So Reid for Rocca and Medhurst for Holland who is struggling.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:52 am

delete double post
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:55 am

Can you please rephrase that with fewer ideas, or different thoughts? I've lost the context, pietillidie. Are we still on It's recognition that Rocca?
noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Post subject: Re: Play Medhurst from the Square vs HawthornReply with quote

DaicosMagic wrote:

Let Rocca take the week, and bring in Medhurst. Play Medhurst FROM THE SQUARE. This guy is a genuine FF in the Mark Williams mould.

Furthermore, this could be THE contingency plan we have in case Rocca is suspended/injured in the future leading up to teh finals. We need a plan B ... why not this?

i don't mind this. play the small forward line and you have fraser as a tall forward option to throw in there.

maybe you could even play both richards and bryan and just tell josh that he's a forward for the day.
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 pm

I wish I played an instrument. My parents could not afford the lessons.
noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:24 pm

HAL wrote:
I wish I played an instrument. My parents could not afford the lessons.

get a job, hal.
HAL 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Such an original name!
noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:38 pm

sheesh. you can talk..
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:27 pm

HAL wrote:
Can you please rephrase that with fewer ideas, or different thoughts? I've lost the context, pietillidie. Are we still on It's recognition that Rocca?

HAL, why are people so confident that you will never freeze over?
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:33 pm

swooper wrote:
So that means no walk ups? Even if member?

AFAIK, no walkups. Tickets should be bought now.
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:30 pm

LOL. Very clever pietillidie!! (Way too clever for a response from Hal)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:20 pm

The more I think about this, the more I believe we need a big body that can take contested mark in the forward line.

From what I've read, the hawks play a 4 man forward line, pushing flankers back to wings ad wings to HB, so they "flood" the opposition forward line. MM has the choice of manning up those players, thereby congesting our forward line or leaving 2 loose men in defence same as the Haks and clogging the midfield. Either way it means the clearences are going to be hard work and under pressure and it will be difficult to create room to spot up a leading target, Someone who can take a contested grab when the balls just banged forward to a contest is gold in those situations.

If Rocca plays, grea. If he doesn't I believe going short in the forward line will get us killed becasue their loose men will cut off space. Reid is not the answer at this stage cos he appears to play more as a leading player.

I don't think we can play 3 ruckmen in the same game yet, so I'd drop stretch (although on form he's doing more than Bryan) and rotate Bryan and Josh between FF and Ruck. That's purely because Bryan is a better contested mark than Guy. If MM wants to take the gamble, play all three with Josh mainly at FF and Guy and Bryan rotating off the bench.

If we don't have a tall forward up there, he Hawks will be able to play Croad in the forward line.

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:29 pm

yeah. and don't forget that their best key defender is a little feller (campbell brown).

we know that fraser can play well up forward and having him and trav there would have them thinking hard about how they'll match up.

any goals that come from bryan would be a bonus. i wouldn't want to be relying on him to kick goals.

hopefully it's all a moot point and sanity prevails with rocca.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:56 pm

I don't think i've seen Hawthorn play this year - not once! But gee after Saturday night i'm sure we'll look good on paper Laughing
collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Rocca is out for two weeks, so he won't be that contested mark in the forward line your looking for.

Bryan has played 1 and a bit quarters as a full forward for us and while the tactic has worked, it is just that, a tactic, he is not a stay at home, contested making FF and a Croad for example would pants him.
Fraser is also not a great contested mark, although he is a good forward option, although not in this case.

Also playing one ruckman and a wrestling full forward in rotation is going to tire Fraser and Bryan out and a big part of what we need to do to win (against most teams, not just the Hawks) is run the opposition rucks off their feet, and, especialy against the Hawks we need our rucks to be able to drop back and fill space in their attack to clog the leading from Franklin, Roughead and Boyle.

Davis, Cloke and Thomas are all pretty good arialists, and Swan, Lockyer and Co can dob a few running in from the centre, you cant really flood off a fast break so you will always need players who can break fast for the lead and goal and that is what Reid and Medhurst can both do for us.

The thing is we have to back our own gameplan and back our own kids to win this one. Our victory over the Swans was a great example of what can happen when we do, Reid is the logical replacement for Rocca, and Medhurst provides another avenue to goal, apart from them leave the side as it is!

(unless we bring in Brown as well, but that is unlikely I guess)

GO PIES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: