Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match - The Big One: Collingwood v Hawthorn

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocca loves the Hawks. Last year when we were knocking him he came out and kicked 8...even if it was on Zac Dawson. We would miss him terribly. The Hawks love double teaming a forward and taking him out of the game. Rocca is one of the rare players who will beat 2 guys in a contest.

The other thing is that it means the Hawks will have to play Croad in defence instead of forward, giving our undermanned backline some reprieve. They will have their hands full with Roughead and Franklin and Boyle.

That said, the key to our success this year has been our non-reliance on any player. We have won every game but the QB match this year where rocca has been held goal-less. That said he offers much more than just goal kicking ability when he plays.

If he is out, Reid dominated willy this week and may get his call up. Wouldnt that be exciting. Would be a huge tester for Trav too...he wont have Rocca standing next to him forever.

DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:07 am

Clement is obviously the best match, but i doubt he will be playing...so after Goldsack's brilliant display against O'Loughlin, he is the man.

Moneybags will get the task, with Wakelin playing on Roughead. I wouldnt mind seeing us bringing in Reid as well to try and stretch the Hawthorn defence. The Hawks like switching Roughead and Croad from either side of the ground. If we can expose the Hawks defence, it will mean atleast Croad will be forced to play defence. You'd think they would play Croad on Rocca, and Brown on Cloke. Wouldnt be a bad idea to bring in Medhurst after kicking 4 at willy.

Hawks are playing attacking at the moment, meaning we have a chance if we tackle hard and kick straight to expose them in defence.

panga Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:52 am

N. Brown.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:02 am

Yes or no, DaVe ? Very Happy

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
killer Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:03 am

How about We play Medhurst at Full Foward in a brad johnson type role.
he excelled at freo playing a similar position, and it could confuse the hawks a bit.

Cheers

Car'n the PIES!!!
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:09 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Actually it would be great for our side to be forced to find a way to win a big game without Pebbles. I don't ever want to have to watch the shit football we served up in the 2003 GF. It's time we showed we are not a one man team. If Rocca is out then we've got to bring back Medhurst (4 goals and BOG for Willi) plus either Reid (also 4 goals and 2nd BOG for Willi) or Bryan.

Yeah....look i agree in principle, but i dont think now is the right time to test our performance without Rocca, because its not just our performance without Rocca. Presti (FB), Clement (CHB), Buckley (C, maybe not much anymore but still), Rocca (FF) .....thats our entire spine bar Travis Cloke all missing next week if Rocca gets rubbed out.

How many teams can you rip the spine out of and expect to beat a top 4 team? Not West Coast even as today showed, and they still had their FB and FF. and were just missing a few center vertebrae.

I think in the long term, learning to win without Rocca is every bit as important than learning to win without Buckley and Clement. Last night we learned to win without Clement, and we have been able to win without Buckley for a couple of years now....2004 and 2005 taught us that the hard way....but there is still a question mark hanging over Rocca....however one i'd be happy to see remain in place this year...or at least till Clement or Presti return.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:12 am

killer wrote:
How about We play Medhurst at Full Foward in a brad johnson type role.
he excelled at freo playing a similar position, and it could confuse the hawks a bit.

Cheers

I'd prefer Ben Reid if he dominated at Willi like reports suggest. I know he is inexperienced, but he is much harder to match up on than Medhurst. Medders is reasonably quick, and great over head yes, but a fast tall defender can cover him just as much as a short defender can, thus giving them more options.

Try and put a short defender on Reid at 198cm (is he 198 or 195 actually?) and i dont care how inexperienced he is, he will win that matchup. Add to that he is, by reports, very quick and probably quite a bit quicker than Medders.

Will come down to how much inexperience we are able to handle, but on paper Reid should replace Rocca if needed imo....and if not, then Bryan (for size).
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:17 am

Nuggets
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:03 am

spot on Zakal. It's bloody nice to think we're debating on whether to bring in Reid or Medders, and then to think we've got Clement, Bucks, Presti, Shaw, O'Brien etc to come back in as walk up starts.

Unleash Reid, I reckon. But we could almost bring in Medders for Stanners too, just to add a bit more firepower up forward if big Pebs is rubbed out. All due respect to Stanners who really didn't do too much wrong Saturday night. It's a tough one, but purely for horses for courses reasons.

Jamie loves Collingwood Aries

2007 pies for premiers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 am

Rocca will go. Shouldn't but will. Expect Reid to come in for his debut. Holland will be ommited for Meddy.
Jamie loves Collingwood Aries

2007 pies for premiers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:53 am

Maxwell will take Franklin

Dixon will miss. Clarke will take Hodge if he moves forward.

Rayza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Sydney is a low scoring team even when they're going well.
The Hawks are a different matter and the pies backline will be stretched to hold Buddy and co.
Collingwood will need every goal kicker they can find to post a winning score and this will have to begin in the center and stoppages a possible achilles heal for the Hawks.
A fascinating duel between two young teams.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:12 pm

Zakal wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Actually it would be great for our side to be forced to find a way to win a big game without Pebbles. I don't ever want to have to watch the shit football we served up in the 2003 GF. It's time we showed we are not a one man team. If Rocca is out then we've got to bring back Medhurst (4 goals and BOG for Willi) plus either Reid (also 4 goals and 2nd BOG for Willi) or Bryan.

Yeah....look i agree in principle, but i dont think now is the right time to test our performance without Rocca, because its not just our performance without Rocca. Presti (FB), Clement (CHB), Buckley (C, maybe not much anymore but still), Rocca (FF) .....thats our entire spine bar Travis Cloke all missing next week if Rocca gets rubbed out.

How many teams can you rip the spine out of and expect to beat a top 4 team? Not West Coast even as today showed, and they still had their FB and FF. and were just missing a few center vertebrae.

I think in the long term, learning to win without Rocca is every bit as important than learning to win without Buckley and Clement. Last night we learned to win without Clement, and we have been able to win without Buckley for a couple of years now....2004 and 2005 taught us that the hard way....but there is still a question mark hanging over Rocca....however one i'd be happy to see remain in place this year...or at least till Clement or Presti return.

I think you may have misunderstood me Zakal. Ofcourse we need Rocca, and we should play him if he's available. He's our most important player, bar none. All I'm saying is that in the event that he's not available, it would be great for our team's development to be able to win big games without him. I'd hate him to do a hammy or get rubbed out again in a Prelim final, and have to go into a GF without the experience of winning without the big fella. All I'm saying is if he's rubbed out, then we've got to turn the situation into a positive for our team.
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:15 pm

Options for Filling the Rocca Hole?

Which do we like if Rocca isn’t at full forward, how do we fill the gap, these are the possibilities as far as I can see:

Option 1: Bring in Chris Bryan for Rocca and play Fraser or Bryan in Rocca’s spot all day while the other rotates in the ruck with Richards

Option 2: Bring in Ben Reid for Rocca and play Travis Cloke in Rocca’s spot and have Reid play the Cloke role further up the ground (I don’t think Reid is strong enough to play purely Rocca’s position deep forward)

Option 3: Bring in Medhurst for Rocca and play a very small forward line of Medhurst, Didak, Davis, Thomas with just Cloke as the big target.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
Options for Filling the Rocca Hole?

Which do we like if Rocca isn’t at full forward, how do we fill the gap, these are the possibilities as far as I can see:

Option 1: Bring in Chris Bryan for Rocca and play Fraser or Bryan in Rocca’s spot all day while the other rotates in the ruck with Richards

Option 2: Bring in Ben Reid for Rocca and play Travis Cloke in Rocca’s spot and have Reid play the Cloke role further up the ground (I don’t think Reid is strong enough to play purely Rocca’s position deep forward)

Option 3: Bring in Medhurst for Rocca and play a very small forward line of Medhurst, Didak, Davis, Thomas with just Cloke as the big target.

Option 4: Bring in Medhurst plus Reid (or Bryan). It would obviously mean dropping a spare defender/midfielder such as Dutchy or Stanners. It's recognition that Rocca is worth 2 players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10   

Jump to: