Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Werribee vs Williamstown....Sunday 24th July @ Werribee

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Werribee 12.14-86 def. by
Williamstown 14.9-93
Werribee
Goal Kickers: J. Podsiadly 2, J. Barham 2, R. Castello 2, M. Lynch 2, T. Henderson, M. Robbins, W. Skipper, W. Minson
Best Players: J. Young, M. Lynch, R. Castello, T. Henderson, J. Barham, D. Gleeson
Williamstown
Goal Kickers: B. Reid 4, P. Medhurst 4, A. Williams 3, B. Johnson, D. Stretton, L. Picken
Best Players: P. Medhurst, B. Reid, B. Davies, B. Johnson, P. Rose, L. Picken
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:10 pm

The game was played at a cracking pace and at the very start it looked like Willy were in a bit of trouble. Werribee got out to a 20 point lead early and things were a bit shaky but Willy steadied and were only a couple down at 1/4 time. Chris Grant seemed to have Reid covered in the first 1/4 but after 1/4 time the kid started to run and lead hard.

Reids marking was a real highlight and as a testament to his dominance they even tried double teaming him but with no luck. I cant wait until this kid puts on some more muscle.

Ryan Cook won some very good contested possies as did Ben Davies and Medders. Medders attacked the footy harder than i have ever seen him and his hands were very clean when marking.

I think Medders might have watched the boys in Sydney on the tele last night and thought to himself "this is a team going places and Im going to have to do something to be a part of it". He should have probably kicked six or seven going by the ones he missed.

Brad Dick done some truly brilliant spoiling work under heavy pressure as did Danny Nicholls. Nathan Brown is fast becoming a solid defender who didn't panic several times today when quick thinking and fast action was required. Although Brown was not mentioned in the best I really liked his game. He doesn't seem to mind it a bit rough and is not troubled by fast leading types.

It was a good hard game with a great result and I wish more nickster and Magpie fans could have seen Reid today...........Bring on the future...........GO PIES.

collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:14 pm

thanks nuxta! you are a champ. what did you make of Lonie's game? and Wellingham's? and Bryan's?

sorry to pester you, but going round the boards it seems you were one of the few regular posters who was actually there!

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Lonie was a bit disappointing. He seems to have lost confidence in his long kicking ability. A few times when he did get the ball he chose to go with pokey little kicks that he muffed. It just worries me that being 6 foot 3 and 7 or so seasons in the big time he still has not learned to use his body. Plenty on the list ahead of him now. Maybe his chance is to be reborn as the wingman he was always supposed to be and not the defender he never was.

Wellingham was good in spurts and in heavy traffic he was a ripper. He never gave up in the clinches and won some nice clearances. His foot skills were down today compared with what we have seen him do but he was serviceable.

In the last 1/4 Bryan lost the plot and looked like he was going to go right off the deep end. He gave away a 100 metre penalty which resulted in a goal and was promptly dragged. His kicking was very ordinary and was not the best ruckman on the ground.

Macaffer was ok in spurts and took a couple of nice marks but did little else.

Danny Nicholls was his in and under self and always hard at it.

Benny Davies was a bull terrier today and done a great job of bullocking in the centre square mud.

collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:39 pm

once again nuxta, you are a champ, great to hear some of the kids looking the goods at the mo', guess Richards is safe for next week, and Cox too most probably, reckon if Rocca goes down coaching panel will look seriously at bringing in Reid and Medders for Pebs and Dutchy.
WKB 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Great fighting win by the boys, as Gotchy said we haven't won to many times down there and once again we were on the rough end of the idiots controlling the game, particularly late on. Yes Bryan lost his cool and the first 50 was maybe there, but then the whole bloody Werribee team ran at him trying to bump him and rattle him and a bloke a quarter of his size ran into him and promptly bounced off and landed on his arse and Bryan got another 50. Now what was Bryan supposed to do, just stand there with hands behind his back and let them come at him? And he basically got a second 50 for being 4 times the size of the idiot who landed on his arse.

But the talent won out in the end and Williamstown go into next week top of the ladder.

Brown - Improved again, played a great game today, might not have as many touches as last week but I thought he had a better game. Showed poise, knew when to run and when to stay

Davies - Another solid game, did a lot of grunt work in the middle but his disposal at times let him down which was a bit disappointing. But can't knock his efforts and was a good 4 quarter player.

Mcaffer - Started the game on the backline, complete opposite to last week. Thought he was solid, didn't have a game as good as last week but contributed. I think another fairly good rookie lister.

Iles - Ran and Ran and Ran. You can't knock Sammy, he just doesn't stop, disposal keeps improving and when he gets it you are confident that a good delivery is coming when he gets it. But works up and down the ground and did some fantastic efforts, particularly a three on one effort when he worked insanely hard and got the ball up which was a phenomenal effort considering the numbers.

Lonie - Stats might prove me wrong but I thought a quite game from Lonie. Don't remember a huge influence from him. Though did see him get a hardball in the second quarter, so have to be happy with that.

Cook - Not quite the leather poisoning of last week but a decent game nonetheless. Has really just improved out of sight this season. And has real confidence in his game which gives him no fear when making decisions. Certainly a chance to play at some stage this year.

Dick - The surgeon, some of his delivery in the game were just incredible, hits the right spots, right weight, right height, as good a kick at our club and I say that with confidence. We talk about his weight but you see him close up in contest and he knows how to use every ounce of that weight to his advantage, knows where to be so that he doesn't get pushed out of contests easily. Bobbed up in spurts today but certainly made an impact in the game with some of his field kicking.

Bryan - Really didn't have much impact, bordering on lazy at times. But I love the mongrel he has in him, just needs to channel it in the right areas. Put it down to just a bad game though, which all players have.

Wellingham - Got enough of it but his kicking probably let him down. Turned it over a bit, or missed targets more to be fair then turnovers. But didn't have a bad game. Again flashes of his brilliance, mixed with his ability to do the one percenters. There is a lot to like about Sharrod.

Nicholls - Honest, straight ahead, hard nut, all words that sum up Nicho. I think i'm a bit biased with him as I just absolutely love the way he goes about it. And showed it again today, memo to anyone: Don't get caught in a Nicholls tackle. So dangerous when the ball hits the ground and can damage the opposition both offensively and defensively which a great attribute to have.

Medhurst - Well he certainly doesn't sulk or pout when dropped, the complete opposite. Hands like a vice in the game, marked anything that came his way, his ability to mark the ball at full pace in great to watch. His goals where super important and he's such a hard player to contain. Played in all parts of the forward line and spent a little time in the midfield. But was a leading forward, a crumbing forward, just a great 4 quarter effort.

Reid - This kid is the real deal, make no mistake. To be able to watch him improve a little every week is great to see. Just dominated today, so much so that at times Limbach went into the ruck instead of him as he was dominating. To add emphasis on his game, he played the 1st quarter on Chris Grant and took the honours and I don't care if he is coming back from injury, this is his third game back and he's 17 years into an AFL career and Reid showed no signs of nervousness. Brilliant game.

BOG for me though was Liam Picken, was phenomenal. Kept Robbins quiet all day and his little spoils and goal saving efforts where just superb. He's a player you just have to admire.

Another to get mention is Scott Meyer, continuing on from last week Scotty was incredible. Played on Podsiadly and I'd say he won the contest. Spent some time in the middle.

Ben Johnson just gets the ball, a lot, week in and week out.

Patrick Rose was a great player again.

I thought a bit of a mention to young Stretton, one of those players who is in and out of the seniors depending on the Pies players who are in but was really good.

Another to James Beaumont, not sure how many games he's played but I don't remember to many, was a solid player all day.

All in all a good win, good contributions by the Collingwood contingent, the Williamstown boys are able to fit the changing line up into their games and keep playing as a unit.

On top of the ladder, can't ask for much more at this stage of the season, now to keep on keeping on.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Love the reports guys thanks, much appreciated and keep em coming
favourites 2008 

The Machine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 am

did tooves play?

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:04 am

WKB and Nuxta. there's been a bit said before about Meyer and Limbach. It'sa good to see both of them playing in other positions showing they're not 1 dimensional.

You gys both watch a bit of Willaimstown, would either of these guys be worth a rookie spot if this years draft isn't that deep?

Meyer seems to be a bit short for a No 1 AFL ruckman but if he play Key Position as well........

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 am

Limbach has a wonderful set of dukes and is quite fearless. He is also a very good kick. This is the first time Ive seen him go down back and I was very impressed. I heard somewhere that when he was at bitchmond he fell out of favour with Wallace right from the start.

Meyer has been wonderful for Willy and gives his all week in week out. He is still very skinny but very agile for a big guy. I dont think I have seen him put in a shocker in all the games Ive seen.

WKB 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:46 pm

Have to agree with Nuxta on both counts with Limbach and Meyer.

The question with Limbach though is if Rus comes back etc, where do we fit him in? But certainly worth at least a Rookie spot no doubt. Upon saying that he did perform well in an unfamiliar position on the weekend, adding another dimension to his game which wouldn't hurt him.

I put Scott Meyer in the Jason Cloke category, but he can play tight one on one footy. By the first part I mean you will get nothing but every inch he can give. His want and desire to make every contest even when the observer might not think he will is just incredible. He is skinny but you wonder what some time with an AFL fitness/weights team would do, i'm sure would be able to add some bulk. Again you could do worse than to rookie him.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks WKB and Nuxta.

Meyer in particular sounds interesting, if he's got Jason clokes work ethic but an extra 8cm in height he could be very handy. Limbach playing down back does also prove he's got more strings to his bow.

I hope our recruiters consider these guys, if not for a rookie spot this year then maybe even late draft picks next year if we have to clean out a few kids who in 12 months time don't come up.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: