Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Sensational" Sherri passes away.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:03 pm
Post subject: "Sensational" Sherri passes away.Reply with quote

From wwe.com

Quote:
"Sensational" Sherri passes away
By Corey Clayton
Written: June 15, 2007

WWE is saddened to learn of the death of WWE Hall of Famer "Sensational" Sherri. She was 49.

She passed away at her mother's home in Birmingham, Ala. Friday morning, according to her husband of 10 years, Robert Schrull.

"It's a great loss to the wrestling world," he told WWE.com. The couple resided in St. Petersburg, Fla.

In the early 1980s, Sherri began her career in the AWA. In 1985, she defeated Candi Devine to become the AWA Women's Champion. Their rivalry lasted more than a year, with the championship trading hands on several occasions.

It was during this time that she began perfecting her skills as a manager, leading "Playboy" Buddy Rose and "Pretty Boy" Doug Somers to the AWA Tag Team Championship. On June 28, 1986, Martel would win the AWA Women's Championship for a third and final time from Candi Devine.

On July 24, 1987, "Sensational" Sherri debuted in WWE, pinning her trainer and mentor the Fabulous Moolah to become Women's Champion. Sherri defended the gold against Debbie Combs, Velvet McIntyre, and Desiree Peterson.

She quickly earned the reputation as someone who would do anything to win, even if it meant using unsavory tactics. Her rivalry with Moolah continued as they became the captains for the first-ever female Survivor Series teams in 1989. Sherri held the championship for 15 months before losing to Rockin' Robin.

In the early '90s WWE phased out the Women's Division, leaving Sherri to focus on managing the male wrestlers. Her first client was "Macho Man" Randy Savage. It was during this time that she became "Sensation Queen."

The couple had rivals with Miss Elizabeth, Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire. In 1991, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase enlisted her services. After that relationship dissolved, she took on the managerial duties of Shawn Michaels.

In 1994, Sherri appeared in WCW as "Sensuous" Sherri managing Ric Flair during his rivalries with Sting and Hulk Hogan. After separating from Flair, she became "Sister" Sherri guiding Harlem Heat to seven WCW Tag Team Championships.

Sherri was enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006. "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase was her presenter.

Such sad news. When I was growing up, I loved "Sensational" Sherri. Yeah, she was a Heel character, but I think that just lent her even more appeal to me. There were 3 women that I loved as a kid in the '80s; Evil Lynn from Masters of the Universe, Diana from V and "Sensational" Sherri. Geez, what does that tell you about me? Laughing

Rest in Peace, Sherri Martel. You were truly sensational.

zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt the chairman die this week aswell vince machman
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:56 am

magpie_1983 wrote:

really? Shocked

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Steroids? Drugs?
What was the cause of early demise?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 pm

magpiesgirl wrote:
magpie_1983 wrote:

really? Shocked

Yeah, Vince is "presumed dead" after his Limo conveniently blew up in the closing credits on last Raw.

I'm guessing publicity stunt cos if it was "real" it would have been front page news just about everywhere. Wink

magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
magpiesgirl wrote:
magpie_1983 wrote:

really? Shocked

Yeah, Vince is "presumed dead" after his Limo conveniently blew up in the closing credits on last Raw.

I'm guessing publicity stunt cos if it was "real" it would have been front page news just about everywhere. Wink

Exactly.The WWE is always good for a big set up or three!

And just when I thought that Cena may be able to hold onto his title without a title match being declared by Mc Mahon or Coachman for more than 5 minutes... Rolling Eyes

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Very sad Dark Lord. I also grew up watching Sensational Sherri.

Sometimes i think Vince McMahon is running the AFL Tribunal.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Still no answer. 49 is very young.
I know it's extremely hard to get any actual truth out of the staged WWE organization, but does anyone know if steroids or drugs had anything to do with this premature death?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:05 pm

member34258 wrote:
Steroids? Drugs?

I wouldn't think drugs were involved, there could have been a number of reasons, she may have had a different illness, etc.

As for Vince, his "death" is him "killing" off Vince McMahon the on-line character, Vince will be doing a lot of work behind the camera. Vince has been said to be uninterested in being in front of the camera and has now taken time off from getting in front of the camera.

In time we may have some "brought to justice" for the limo blowing up on the air, but Vince the person is still alive.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:29 pm

magpiesgirl wrote:
magpie_1983 wrote:

really? Shocked
no it was kayfabe....all setup...
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 pm

I remember Sherri Martel in the early 90s when I was watching the WWF at the time, she was managing Shawn Michaels before his jump into the higher ranks of the company. Also remember her in WCW with Harlem Heat and when her and Col. Robert Parker had the falling out and he joined The Amazing French Canadians and they and Harlem Heat feuded in 1996.

So sad to lose another one, it was really sad with Miss Elizabeth died a few years back as well.

Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:53 pm

member34258 wrote:
Steroids? Drugs?

Still no news on a cause of death at this stage. Steroids would be most unlikely.

member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Just to clarify, I mean the long term effects of drugs such as steroids.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:44 pm

member34258 wrote:

I understood what you meant, steriods would have been unlikely at any stage, not all wrestlers use steroids. Though they were a lot during the 1980s and early 1990s that were on steriods..since Vince was taken to court in 1994 I reckon he made sure none did again.

There were reports that a lot of guys backstage in WCW missed drug tests and were doing drugs and just never were tested. The same can be said for ECW as well.

Dark Lord Capricorn

He's back...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:35 pm

The Prototype wrote:
member34258 wrote:

I understood what you meant, steriods would have been unlikely at any stage, not all wrestlers use steroids. Though they were a lot during the 1980s and early 1990s that were on steriods..since Vince was taken to court in 1994 I reckon he made sure none did again.

Plus, just looking at her, I sincerely doubt that she ever took steroids. Chyna, yes, Sherri, no.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: