Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Work(NO)Choices.........You're life is not worth your job.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:48 pm
Post subject: Work(NO)Choices.........You're life is not worth your job.Reply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s1948141.htm

Quote:
An unprecedented petition at the mine has been signed by more than 200 people, complaining about an atmosphere of intimidation and victimisation and warning that a serious safety incident is inevitable unless the culture changes. The company denies the accusations.

Quote:
FRIEDE MORRISON, ORE TRUCK OPERATOR: Really, I think they really want to get the ore out, production and safety really comes second.

Quote:
The petition's author is Gary Martin, who hardly seems a troublemaker. He's never been a union member and is the supervisor of Newman's mobile equipment workshop.

Quote:
The next morning I was called into the manager's office and asked to explain myself. It wasn't a very pleasant experience. I mean, I went into a meeting with five other people, me being the outsider and having five different people, all superintendent above, trying to intimidate me.

You really need to watch the video of this report. Have a look at IAN ASHBY, the head honcho and check out his eyes. They are darting all over the place, unable to hold the interviewers gaze, or the camera's lens, while he lies his arse off.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you go into a meeting with five other people him or her being the outsider and having five different people superintendent trying to intimidate him or her?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Yeah I was watching that member... the report was taking a rather grim view of the situation, which can only mean one of two things... the ABC are biased, or the situation IS pretty bad.

While we know the former to be a fact, there is no doubt that there were worrying things brought up in this story. Whether or not this is a direct result of workchoices legislation, I am not aware, but certainly people getting sacked for reporting safety incidents is pretty bad, to say the least.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:42 am

When these threads are posted, perhaps you should actually link the content of each article to how Workchoices has lead to what has occured.

You can't post a topic, add a link to a website, then not say how it is Workchoices that led to what occured.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:45 pm

Agreed, Joel. Not every example of alleged corruption within organisations = workchoices. As I said in my above post, yeah sure it's a bad story, but is it definitely the result of the Howard government's legislation?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works.Yes, there are legitimate cases of where people have been disadvantaged by workchoices however, most of the examples quoted have little detail about how workchoices actually caused the problem.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:23 pm

It's not rocket-science guys. Workchoices has reduced the rights of trade union officials to access workplaces. As a result they are less effective at policing safety standards themselves, and workers, with less trade union protection and support feel less able to raise breaches with management themselves out of fear of being branded trouble-makers.

That's aside from the fact that the unfair dismissal laws make it easier to be sacked for raising safety breaches or complaining about mistreatment, without recourse if your working in a company with less than 100 employees.

The laws stink and fundamentally breach Australia's obligations under ILO conventions. In a progressive, democratic society they are indefensible.
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works.Yes, there are legitimate cases of where people have been disadvantaged by workchoices however, most of the examples quoted have little detail about how workchoices actually caused the problem.

So, you won't, or cannot refute the facts?
Your reply adds very little to the debate.
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:17 pm

Joel wrote:
When these threads are posted, perhaps you should actually link the content of each article to how Workchoices has lead to what has occured.

You can't post a topic, add a link to a website, then not say how it is Workchoices that led to what occured.

Trying to change the access to VPT to quieten the dissent Joel?

The link at the first post will take you to the content. Search further on that site to find the video if you dare. You will find that the Workchoices legislation allows workers to be dismissed without cause. This leads to safety issues being overlooked as workers are in fear of their jobs.

You sound like an intelligent guy Joel, I assumed you could join the dots for yourself without being instructed how to.
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Damn, just could not let this comment go, though I should.

Quote:
Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works

Have you turned on your TV/Radio, or read a paper lately? Seen our (taxpayers) money at work?
I won't give you any more detail. Join the big, big, big dots!
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works.

You've obviously never had to retrieve the body of a co worker due to short cutting of safety standards, then attend his funeral and see his wife and kids a mess.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 pm

London Dave wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works.

You've obviously never had to retrieve the body of a co worker due to short cutting of safety standards, then attend his funeral and see his wife and kids a mess.

No, I haven't, and never want to.

Unions played a key role in raising awareness of safety issues, particularly in mining and construction. As a result, we have legislation in place and government appointed agencies (both coalition federal and labour state) who police safety.

I've seen the unions abuse supposed OH&S issues for their own agenda far more often than I've seen them raise legitimate issues.

If an employee has concerns that an employer is short cutting OH&S standards, they can call the union (whether they are on an AWA or not) or (preferably) notify the responsible body.

Sorry, but I don't buy that reducing unions access to workplaces has a correlating effect of a reduction in OH&S standards.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:52 pm

member34258 wrote:
Damn, just could not let this comment go, though I should.

Quote:
Joel and David, you're seeing a classic example of how the union propaganda machine works

Have you turned on your TV/Radio, or read a paper lately? Seen our (taxpayers) money at work?
I won't give you any more detail. Join the big, big, big dots!

And how much tax payers money did the Bracks Labour government spend trying to push that toxic waste dump near Mildura?

Any government, labour or liberal, will try to sell it's point of view. I have no issue with the ACTU spending it's members money to sellit's point of view it's just that I've had numerous occasions where I've had the opportunity to see TV scenarios and read newspaper articles initiated by unions where I've known the facts. They have some A1 quality spin doctors cos even though I knew every word was bullshit I found them very believeable. Long on rhetoric, short on substance and facts.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:58 pm

member34258 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

So, you won't, or cannot refute the facts?
Your reply adds very little to the debate.

What facts? Someone has raised OH&S issues to management and the union by form of a petition and management are investigating. Any inference drawn from the body language of a person on a video is not a fact, it's your opinion.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:37 pm

member34258 wrote:

I assumed you could join the dots for yourself without being instructed how to.

I was just thought it would be nice to explain why when you post. The general audience isn't going to bother looking into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: