Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

williamstown vs Nth Ballarat @Burbank

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John the Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

JAJH wrote:
I'm actually on Dale61's side a bit here. It often amazes me how one report can be so different from someone else's report. Maybe it's simply a case of where the person is sitting at the ground...you get a different perspective depending on your viewing angle. Let's not get personal about it and bicker, just respect someone else's point of view.

I haven't read a report that I haven't agreed with yet JAJH. Perspecive is the key though.

I probably get more critical from an AFL level perspective. That can often skew opinion a bit. For example, Iles & Davies busted a gut and did very well on the day, but I would argue that certain things they did were VFL standard all over.

I think I was standing on the hill behind you (I assume you were the bloke with the big camera), where Iles put in that terrible pass in the third quarter, that was sub-VFL. He seems to do at least one of these per quarter. But he was good to very good all day from a VFL perspective.

What I am more interested in is what the kids may bring at AFL level. Whether they exhibit the required traits to lift the Black & White to a Premiership. If they can help win Willi a flag in the mean time, ala 2003, then awesome. But even then, some good Willi contributors at that level have since disappeared from AFL lists (eg. McGough, Betheras, Freeborn) whilst some have gone on to become AFL standard players (eg. Swan).

And that's what my reviews have been interested in the whole time I have been reporting on Willi. Who might make it at AFL and who probably wont. I don't think anyone should be belittled for being Collingwood-centric on a Collingwood dedicated board.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:34 pm
Post subject: .Reply with quote

WKB wrote:
Ried - Probably his best 4 quarter game, played up forward and also rucked a fair bit of the game to relieve Guy Richards where he handled himself pretty well. He is so strong on the lead and today showed he has some good skills around the ground, adding another string to his bow which can only benefit the club. And playing forward and ruck showed he has a pretty big tank which is good to see. Late in the game he was limping and stretching out what seemed his hamstring, stayed on the field so could have been a niggle or a cramp I'm not sure but didn't force him off but was troubling him a bit.

Brown - Still worries me, probably one of his better games but not going from a high standard to start with. He seems to get himself in the wrong position and i'll be the broken record again, is slow and get's lead to the pill. Today used his bulk a few times and didn't do anything fancy but hit contest and threw a huge punch at the pill, no nonsense defence which he has to keep doing. Have faith in him and the club but isn't showing any obvious improvement in things that I noticed from his first game when I saw him in the practice game in sydney. He's big, and strong but positioning just seems off.

One of the Major problems WKB is that with every player that gets drafted by Collingwood, supporters immediately think that each one is going to be a superstar. If you read peoples comments, you would think that Reid, Brown and Dawes will all be stars of the game!

History shows that if one of those three works out, we would have done very well and if two do, that is a major bonus. History shows that all three wont make it regardless of how big, strong or ferocious they look.

Yes, give them all time and let them develop but for christs sake, lets have some realistic expectations on drafting and player development. This is not having a go at you, just making a general comment about it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 pm

FWIW, I'm not a Williamstown supporter except for the fact they are associated with Collingwood. I used to barrack for Preston in the VFA because of the collingwood affiliation but stopped when they joined Carlton.

Coverage in the papers is crap so I rely on this forum to get a view on mainly how the Collingwood listed players are going. From my perspective, the more the merrier. If you read a few posts from the same posters, you learn how to filter what they write and get an holistic view.

WKB writes a good straight report, as Dale used to. I haven't read many of Figjam's reviews on Big Footy but will now I know to look there. Joffa's reviews, while always entertaining can be a little over enthusiatic at times (god bless his black and white cotton sox) and taken with a grain of salt.

I want to hear who's playing well, who's showing development, who's going to make it and who's not and if people disagree then great, we get two different perspectives.

Keep up the great work everyone.

mickyg 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:46 pm

FROM HERALD SUN WEB PAGE:

Williamstown continued its consistent form with an impressive 40-point home win against North Ballarat yesterday.

The Seagulls' dominance was reflected in 15 more scoring shots, 43 to 28.

Sam Iles, playing wing and half-back, had 34 possessions and Martin Clarke had 20 from a half-back flank.

Key forward Dean Limbach kicked four goals to take his tally to 29 for the season.

"That (wasted chances) was probably the only disappointing part of the day," Williamstown coach Brad Gotch said.

"We probably had about 100 possessions more than they did and we kicked 18.25.

"There were some easy shots there we could have nailed which have made it a bigger scoreline. But we are still pretty happy overall."
WKB 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 pm
Post subject: Re: .Reply with quote

spoljar wrote:
[
One of the Major problems WKB is that with every player that gets drafted by Collingwood, supporters immediately think that each one is going to be a superstar. If you read peoples comments, you would think that Reid, Brown and Dawes will all be stars of the game!

History shows that if one of those three works out, we would have done very well and if two do, that is a major bonus. History shows that all three wont make it regardless of how big, strong or ferocious they look.

Yes, give them all time and let them develop but for christs sake, lets have some realistic expectations on drafting and player development. This is not having a go at you, just making a general comment about it.

Edited this as I was wondering what I'd said that made you think that I'd excessively talked up or down Ried and Brown. But maybe should have read the last part when you said you were just making a general comment. Was just confused as to how what I wrote had come across as such, but my mistake.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:55 pm
Post subject: Re: .Reply with quote

WKB wrote:
spoljar wrote:
[

Edited this as I was wondering what I'd said that made you think that I'd excessively talked up or down Ried and Brown. But maybe should have read the last part when you said you were just making a general comment. Was just confused as to how what I wrote had come across as such, but my mistake.

Yeah no worries Dude. I think the have faith in brown comment caught my eye because I agree with you there. Whats annoying me is that some supporters are already starting to bag Brown just because he was 10th pick and are expecting him to make an immediate impact.
However the flip side is that some will pump him up to be a star after one performance and dont understand that not all draft picks will work out. Seems Reid is learning and progressing well and we have atleast a couple years before we can make some judgement on the two.
If one of the two work out we would have done very well but lets give them both the time to learn the game.
The Weed 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:38 pm

JAJH wrote:
I'm actually on Dale61's side a bit here. It often amazes me how one report can be so different from someone else's report. Maybe it's simply a case of where the person is sitting at the ground...you get a different perspective depending on your viewing angle. Let's not get personal about it and bicker, just respect someone else's point of view.

Not sure how you can be on dale 61's ide and also want people to respect everyone else's opinion. Dale seems to think that you need have watched Willy for years to be able to offer an opinion that is to be respected.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks for the report Guys. I would like to see how Clarke goes in the seniors!

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the reports. Much appreciated.
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:10 pm

The Weed wrote:
JAJH wrote:

Not sure how you can be on dale 61's ide and also want people to respect everyone else's opinion. Dale seems to think that you need have watched Willy for years to be able to offer an opinion that is to be respected.

I didn't think my comment was that hard to comprehend. I simply stated I was in agreement with Dale61 somewhat. I didn't say I agreed with everything he said, but went on to say how people's opinions can differ greatly on the same game. Am I missing something here about respecting other's opinions or is your reply a little convoluted making your meaning a bit difficult to understand?
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:01 am

Thanks for the reports guys. all of them.. ALL OF THEM!! (line from Mark Thomson!) Being in Bendigo I don't get to see Willi unless their on TV or come up here to play the Bendigo Bombers. HS reports are very brief indeed. I take all reports with a grain of salt just like any report from the media on Collingwood.

To be honest I couldn't care to much about non CFC players unless their draftable next year. Limbach might be a possible. Love to here about the young pie talent progression (Brown, Reid, Dick, Cox, Wellingham, Nicholls, Clarke) and if the players on/near their make or break seasons (Davies, Iles, Richards) are going to take that next step.

From MM press conference it sounds to me like Brown and/or Cox will get a call up due to our depleted back line. missing 4 of our back 6! Could Reid play back?

Good to hear Irish is making big steps. Whats the estimate for a senior debut?

PS
JAJH.... JA must be spewin about the timing of his injury? He'd nearly be a walk up into the seniors ATM if he was fit. Would have been great to call him up at this time of need. Well thats footy I suppose. Thanks for answering all those questions too! Cheers.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:35 am

http://www.hobsonsbayleader.com.au/article/2007/06/11/16126_wtv_sport.html

Quote:
Fall Guy puts hand up

COLLINGWOOD ruckman Guy Richards, now in his fourth AFL year, has been seen as a bit of fall guy since the recruitment of former Carlton and Frankston tall Chris Bryan.

When Magpies coach Mick Malthouse wants reach and the first hand to the ball at centre bounces he calls on Richards from the Williamstown ranks.

When he needs more physical strength he elevates Bryan. Case in point Bryan received the big tick from the Pies' selection panel for the Queen's Birthday blockbuster against Melbourne at the MCG.

Meanwhile on Sunday at Burbank Oval, Richards put a big tick beside his name with 22 touches and 19 effective hitouts in Williamstown's 40-point win over the North Ballarat Roosters.

With 29 AFL games under his belt, including six this season, Richards knows time is ticking away for a regular Pies berth and a long-term contract.

There are injury factors which have interrupted the Coldstream-raised 201cm big man, including surgery to remove kidney stones, osteo pubis, tendonitis and a strained achilles tendon.

Richards said he has received encouragement from his coaches Mick Malthouse and Brad Gotch. "Mick told me I was a bit stiff to get dropped from the Collingwood side,'' he said. "I felt I was playing fairly good footy. Gotchie told me to stay positive and get a kick.''

Gotch said Richards has been playing consistent football.
"He has been good, but Mick has horses for courses and Bryan got the nod against Melbourne.''

Williamstown's midfield was tested against North Ballarat with the loss for the season of reigning Callahan Medallist Steven Greene. He will have surgery on his right knee in the next two weeks after damaging an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament on his right knee) in the first quarter of the previous match against Box Hill.

Gotch said players including skipper Brett Johnson, Ben Davies and Paul Licuria stepped up against North Ballarat to fill the void left by Greene.

Johnson had 29 possessions, Licuria, 27, and Davies 22 as they worked as a unit running in numbers downfield. "All of those players did really well out of the centre bounces and gave us a lot of clearances,'' Gotch said.

Williamstown's best player was second year Tasmanian winger Sam Iles who ran hard to pick up 34 possesions (16 kicks, 18 handballs). Iles, who turns 20 on June 19, has had a brief taste of AFL football and looks ready to become a Magpie regular.

Fearless defender Kane McKenzie had 25 possessions across the half-back line.

Williamstown forward Dean Limbach lifted his tally to 29 goals for the season with 4.2 and showed vigor against close checking Roosters defenders.

Brad Dick was elusive across the half-forward line to post three goals without a miss.

Pat Rose chimed in with three goals working in the midfield and in front of goal.

Irish recruit Martin Clarke, recently elevated to the Collingwood senior list, booted two long goals from 20 disposals.

Gotch was pleased with Liam Picken, who shadowed North's Dean Chester, who had kicked four goals in the previous game against premiership favourite Sandringham.

Gotch said he was prepared to forgive the wasteful kicking for goal, because of a tricky breeze at the Morris St end of the ground.

"We had more than 100 possessions more than North which showed how much more we had the ball,'' he said. "It was a really good effort, considering they had comfortably beaten Sandringham. But on reflection maybe we overused the ball a bit.''

Entrenched in the top three, Williamstown faces the Northern Bullants at home this Sunday (June 17).

Williamstown reserves kept North Ballarat goalless in the last quarter to win the curtain-raiser by 79-points.

Hooked
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Clarke is a Gun!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:55 am

Dale61 wrote:
Jace wrote:

Understand your point, however I know I come here to get insight on Willy in particular the Pies boys & always keen to know how they went. If this was posted in the Pies forum others will whinge this is a Willy report & shouldn't be in here. It was a Willy game should be in here for mine.

So, using the theory that it's a Williamstown match report, why no, or very little, mention of the remaining 22 who are not CFC listed?

The point I was trying to make was that if there is a Williamstown match report in the Williamstown forum, then it should include all 22 players that made up the team on the day.

For example, who, from the extended interchange, actually got to play in the late game? Any info re: the reserves? (No, because no CFC listed player actually played in the reserves today).

How did Steven Greene play? (I already know the answer to that!) Brett Johnson? Andrew Williams? Dean Limbach? Patrick Rose? Afterall, all these players are Williamstown players.

I think somebody has missed their medication. While I appreciate that this is a Willi report page, you view that in context that it remains "Nick's COLLINGWOOD Bulletin Board"

A little perspective please!

More than happy to read whatever people post by way of reviews. Doesn't mean I take it all too heart.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:13 am

JAJH wrote:
The Weed wrote:
JAJH wrote:

I didn't think my comment was that hard to comprehend. I simply stated I was in agreement with Dale61 somewhat. I didn't say I agreed with everything he said, but went on to say how people's opinions can differ greatly on the same game. Am I missing something here about respecting other's opinions or is your reply a little convoluted making your meaning a bit difficult to understand?

JAJH, I was at the Melbourne game on Monday and noticed the young bloke on the boundary behind the goals during the warm up. Looked to be moving freely so I was wondering have the rehab was going. Is he back in full training yet?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: