Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

williamstown vs Nth Ballarat @Burbank

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, everyones intitled to their opinion, if you dont agree no need to have a crack at them for giving there two cents.

Sam Iles progress this season has been fantastic. Last season i didnt give him much of a chance however this season i believe he should be rewarded with more of a run in the seniors than what he has been. I could possibly see him swapping with Toovey if hes required to have a stint in the twos. 22 rounds is a long season for a debuant.
WKB 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:09 pm

It was a pretty solid win from Williamstown. Some more accurate kicking and they could have won by a hell of a lot more. Kicked 10 behinds into the breeze in the 2nd quarter. For some reasons on their home ground Williamstown, in the time i've followed, have struggled to read the wind. But they played a very attacking game and the scoreline reflected that but they could have had another 10 goals added to that.

I thought Illes was fantastic today but personally Clarke was BOG for me.

Clarke - was everywhere, ran hard, got a lot of hard balls and his one pecenters and hitting contest to create spills that benefited the Towners was superb, add to that a couple of goals and he was fantastic. To think how good this kid would be now if he'd played footy all his life, it's scary cause he's bloody fantastic with limited time playing the game.

Illes - was great, ran all day and got possies all over the ground, certainly has done nothing wrong for most of the season but fair to say one of his best games. Put him just behind Clarke as he probably recieved more touches than Clarke did. Now let me emphasise this isn't any sort of dig, recieved because he ran hard everywhere to provide an option, to escape his opponent and make space, it's a positive. Delivery by foot was great.

Richards - Guy in the last 5 weeks, the 3 Willy games and 2 Pies games, I don't think he's done anything wrong. Seems to be wanting to work on getting around the ground and is doing it well. And for a bloke his size some of his work below his knees today was superb, and feeding the runners through ruck work and handballs. Seems to be getting better, which you have to applaud.

Ried - Probably his best 4 quarter game, played up forward and also rucked a fair bit of the game to relieve Guy Richards where he handled himself pretty well. He is so strong on the lead and today showed he has some good skills around the ground, adding another string to his bow which can only benefit the club. And playing forward and ruck showed he has a pretty big tank which is good to see. Late in the game he was limping and stretching out what seemed his hamstring, stayed on the field so could have been a niggle or a cramp I'm not sure but didn't force him off but was troubling him a bit.

Cox - probably started off quiet, which isn't to say he played poorly just contests went to other forwards so he didn't have a lot of work. Was isolated up back later in the game and proved to be his cool calm usual self and I will say with some confidence was never beaten in a contest and created some good run.

Cook - started at fullback deep in the square on a bloke who was much larger than he was but handled himself reasonably well. Outbodied a few times but not disgraced or clearly beaten. That deep wasn't able to get the run he's had in the last few weeks but being taken that deep again adds another defensive dimension to his game.

Brown - Still worries me, probably one of his better games but not going from a high standard to start with. He seems to get himself in the wrong position and i'll be the broken record again, is slow and get's lead to the pill. Today used his bulk a few times and didn't do anything fancy but hit contest and threw a huge punch at the pill, no nonsense defence which he has to keep doing. Have faith in him and the club but isn't showing any obvious improvement in things that I noticed from his first game when I saw him in the practice game in sydney. He's big, and strong but positioning just seems off.

Davies - Probably not his best game, runs all day still and gets his usual amount of touches but just isn't damaging enough, needs to add just an extra something to his game to put himself clearly above the likes of thomas, pendles, sharrod, nicholls etc.

Licca - Classic licca today, bust a gut everytime he's on the footy field, disposal at times was dodgy but it's always been like that. Unfortunately for a great player I don't think he's an automatic selection for senior footy anymore, but if needed he will provide more than enough and will play this year I'm sure. I think I can say enough by saying Classic Licuria, think of how Licca plays his footy and that's what he did today.

Lonie - Started every quarter on the bench and played probably half of each quarter from then. Got a few touches and ran up and down the field, showing no signs of any sort of injury. Just wish he'd get the hard pill when he's the only player there to do so. But good signs in regards to injury and lost nothing in his run or long, accurate kicking (though did miss a classic running lonie goal at one stage, but it was a breezy day)

McAffer - I actually really like the look of the Caf. He's ready built for footy and seems to have some smart footy brains. Started in the forward line deep and moved up the ground as the game went on. He wants to win every contest and makes every touch be earnt. Not the complete package yet but shown enough to me at least that we might have another decent rookie in the ranks.

Nicholls - I'm an unashamed fan and thought his game today was great. You can bet on this, if there is a pack Nicholls will come up either last, if not second last, still holding onto the tackle. But is more than that as he runs and runs and runs and runs and loves a goal.

Dick - Was probably more of the cheeky sneaky pocket player today, though did spend some time in the midfield. He was outbodied a few times and its fair to say when he puts on some weight he'll hit some contests harder than he did today. But from a reasonably quiet game he bobbed up and kicked some good goals and provided for others in the forward line.

Wellingham - Consistent game today, wasn't BOG but did everything you'd want. Some fantastic efforts today in tight contests, ran hard and took some nice marks.

The Willy boys were fantastic. Limbach is as dangerous a forward in the competition in my opinion. You play on him and you be better be ready to be alert and on game from siren to siren. You can keep him quiet for a couple of quarters and you drop your guard for a few minutes and he's 5 yards in front of you on the lead and has incredibly strong hands, and he's got 2 or 3 goals for a quarter.

Even as short a time as 10-15 years ago Liam Picken would be playing AFL footy. He is how I think everyone should play footy, is as hard a nut as there is, is strong overhead and is quick. But an odd size and old fashion in the way he goes about thing, though there are clubs who could do worse than rookie list him as given a chance i'm sure he could play at a higher level.

Another is Patrick Rose, this kid is pure courage his game today was as good as he's played and he's had some good games.

They're are some unassuming players at the club but blokes like Proctor and McKenzie just keep getting the job done. And Crawford just kept getting better as the game wore on. Add to that the consistency of Johnno and Willo there is something about this team in 2007
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Dale61 wrote:
spoljar wrote:

Comparing your description of the game to the one on bigfooty by FIGJAM, the two completely contradict each other! Hard to know which one to believe as its all a matter of opinion I guess!

FWIW, do not believe any match reports other than those done by WKB, JAJH, and to a certain extent, Joffa. Other match reports to take note of are those by TCT.

It wouldn't surprise me if the other wannabe's have only jumped on-board this season, so have yet to reach any credibility, so to me, their reports mean nothing.

Just pay attention to those who know, not those who think they know!

Sorry but i didn't realise that all match reports had to pass your credibilty test.

I was there today as well (obviously unlike you) and generally agreed with all of the other views.

All contibutors post to give their opinion and insight to a particular game.

If you cannot understand and respect that then I suggest you go to the games yourself instead of discrediting people who are just trying to be helpfull.

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:31 am

slangman wrote:
Dale61 wrote:
spoljar wrote:

Comparing your description of the game to the one on bigfooty by FIGJAM, the two completely contradict each other! Hard to know which one to believe as its all a matter of opinion I guess!

FWIW, do not believe any match reports other than those done by WKB, JAJH, and to a certain extent, Joffa. Other match reports to take note of are those by TCT.

It wouldn't surprise me if the other wannabe's have only jumped on-board this season, so have yet to reach any credibility, so to me, their reports mean nothing.

Sorry but i didn't realise that all match reports had to pass your credibilty(?) test.

I was there today as well (obviously unlike you) and generally agreed with all of the other views.

All contibutors(?) post to give their opinion and insight to a particular game.

If you cannot understand and respect that then I suggest you go to the games yourself instead of discrediting people who are just trying to be helpfull(?).

Been there, done that, long before you ever jumped on the bandwagon. And BTW, there is only one 'l' in helpful!

It's not the post that has to pass credibility, it's the poster. How are we to believe someone that only goes to the occasional game, when it suits them, and wouldn't know who the Williamstown players are? A lot of the reports are lifted from BF anyway, so the poster hasn't even been to the game themselves.

I'm more than happy to go to every game, so if anyone is prepared to provide transport from Geelong, and return, every week, I'll be waiting out the front.

How many of you 'regulars' will be at Skilled Stadium on the 30th? Keep in mind it's a 10.40AM start.

Hooked
Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:43 am

Wellingham and Clarke stood out as future AFL quality players.
Illes worked hard , but some of the mistakes he makes are mystifying , and that is what costs him.
Dick just needs another 5 or 6 kilos , and he will be a very dangerous footballer.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:56 am

[quote="WKB"]
McAffer - I actually really like the look of the Caf. He's ready built for footy and seems to have some smart footy brains. Started in the forward line deep and moved up the ground as the game went on. He wants to win every contest and makes every touch be earnt. Not the complete package yet but shown enough to me at least that we might have another decent rookie in the ranks.

Wellingham - Consistent game today, wasn't BOG but did everything you'd want. Some fantastic efforts today in tight contests, ran hard and took some nice marks.

Another is Patrick Rose, this kid is pure courage his game today was as good as he's played and he's had some good games.

..........................................................................................................Thanks WKB

Anymore details on young Sharrod ?

Gotta love Patrick Rose's work ethic im actually a big wrap for this guy!

Macaffer is an interesting kid, kicked heaps of goals in junior football has good pace and can take a nice grab, im pleased to hear he is amongst the goals today.

25 behinds ? rushed ? or the usual Willy wind playing tricks ?

Young Liam Picken can you describe his efforts a little further ?

Was Coxy and Dick tough at the ball ?

And when will Scotty Meyer be back ? i hear he has tonsilitis ?
joff

WKB 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:50 am

joffa corfe wrote:

25 behinds ? rushed ? or the usual Willy wind playing tricks ?

Young Liam Picken can you describe his efforts a little further ?

Was Coxy and Dick tough at the ball ?

And when will Scotty Meyer be back ? i hear he has tonsilitis ?
joff

Not a hell of a lot rushed, it was a windy but in the second quarter the ball swung viciously from left to right but the players never seemed to pick up on it and the shots kept missing to the right of goals (and as said for a home team they never seem to work out the wind at this ground) It was a tricky wind, picked up then dropped a little, one stage in the last quarter the flags at the scoreboard end were not moving yet the other end it they were billowing.

Liam Picken has one effort and that is straight ahead, his one on one contest were superb. A couple of times he was one out in defence and either outpaced or knocked them over and collected the ball to start our attack.

Coxy is always tough at the ball but a lot of the time today he didn't have to be, particularly as the game went on he was a one out defender as they either tried to isolate him or were moving up to try and choke our run. But he would everytime, out position his opponent or outbody, knock them over or get to the loose ball first and be away with a run or clean possession.
Dick a few times could have gone a bit harder but he didn't really squib anything if that makes sense, more that he stood out waiting for the loose ball when he was the player that needed to be in, over the ball at that point. Wasn't anything like the whole game just a couple of instances, but he showed his cheeky skills and ability to shark some goals which you can't complain about.

Just watching on the sidelines so don't have any inside info about how long Scotty Meyer will miss. Plebs like me Joff don't get to sit with the coaches and get in the rooms (just joking with you mate).
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:58 am

Thanks for that WKB...and true you'd reckon the Willy boys would know the wind backwards at Burbank but it always seems to confuse everyone...nice stuff mate
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:22 am

Love all the reports, great to read how all our boys are going, and good to see Lonie finally getting some game time.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:40 am

Dale61 wrote:
slangman wrote:
Dale61 wrote:
spoljar wrote:

Sorry but i didn't realise that all match reports had to pass your credibilty(?) test.

All contibutors(?) post to give their opinion and insight to a particular game.

If you cannot understand and respect that then I suggest you go to the games yourself instead of discrediting people who are just trying to be helpfull(?).

Been there, done that, long before you ever jumped on the bandwagon. And BTW, there is only one 'l' in helpful!

It's not the post that has to pass credibility, it's the poster. How are we to believe someone that only goes to the occasional game, when it suits them, and wouldn't know who the Williamstown players are? A lot of the reports are lifted from BF anyway, so the poster hasn't even been to the game themselves.

The word 'credibility' crops up. Dale, any of us could turn up at a...Fremantle game for the first time, having watched them once or twice prior on TV, but still have an opinion "number 29 played well"..."number 32 didn't" etc.

People only post these reports for those who weren't able to get to the ground, and I'm sure that everyone is appreciative of it (well, nearly everyone).

But the point is, don't take it so seriously - if there are some opinions you take in and others you forget, that's fine, but there's no need to rubbish others.

Quote:
A lot of the reports are lifted from BF anyway, so the poster hasn't even been to the game themselves.

And yet they only do it to give others a view of what transpired. The message of that is helping, helping other Magpie supporters.

Oh, and FWIW, I think 99% of us visit this forum for the information on how the Collingwood listed players fared. It's always good to hear that Brett Johnson did well, and Limbach was a goal kicker again, but the primary reason is the CFC.

Back on topic - great news re Iles. I've had my doubts in the past, though reading what I have, it's all positive.
John the Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:00 am

Dale61 wrote:
spoljar wrote:

No disrespect Dale, but I (FIGJAM/JtP) have been providing Williamstown reports for 6 years on BigFooty & Hotrods. Didak & Scotland were tearing it up about that time.

They can trust my opinion. Or at least trust my point of view to be an honest one, and generally quite detailed.

FWIW, I couldn't care less if a Maggie supporter went for his first trip down to Burbank and flicked us a report. All opinions are welcome, especially when we can't all go every week.

Cheers!
GW19 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am

Suggest that most of us aren't bandwagon Willy supporters at all - we're Collingwood supporters.

I suppose that if we form our own team again next year, we can scrap the Willy board and problem solved - we can focus on the Pies kids without being targetted by a certain Willy supporter who seems to have a chip on his shoulder.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks, greatly appreciate ALL of these reports.
John the Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:34 am

GW19 wrote:
Suggest that most of us aren't bandwagon Willy supporters at all - we're Collingwood supporters.

I am a Pies supporter first and foremost, but I am actually in favour of the alliance. From what I can gather, I reckon most Pies supprters wouldn't be.

I would rather see players play in a legitimate club with a great history and pride to win, rather than be plonked in a nursery whereby winning at all costs takes a back seat to grooming. Stand alone teams seem to do poorly. Having some kids / journeymen with AFL level class seems to facilitiate winning flags.

I do take note of the Willi regulars, it's just after standing for three and a half hours in a stiff south-westerly, posting about Pies players only, on dedicated Magpies forums, seems to be all I can muster before needing a decent feed and beer.
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:55 am

I'm actually on Dale61's side a bit here. It often amazes me how one report can be so different from someone else's report. Maybe it's simply a case of where the person is sitting at the ground...you get a different perspective depending on your viewing angle. Let's not get personal about it and bicker, just respect someone else's point of view.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: