Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Major religions unite in fight against slavery.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 pm
Post subject: Major religions unite in fight against slavery.Reply with quote

Quote:
The terrified screams of a traumatised sex-trafficked teenager, witnessed by an Australian billionaire, have led to a history-making alliance between three of the world's major religions to end slavery.
At the Vatican on Monday, West Australian iron-ore magnate Andrew Forrest launched the Global Freedom Network – an organisation led by the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Grand Imam of al-Azhar in Egypt.
The network aims to free the world's estimated 30 million slaves, and has set itself specific, ambitious targets to achieve this.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/billionaire-andrew-twiggy-forrest-fights-to-end-global-slavery-20140317-34y6d.html#ixzz2wIavKwJu

I read this article this morning. Kudos to him and seriously good work in getting a senior muslim cleric and the head of the catholic church to sign a mutual agreement. That's some good negotiating skills there.

And before all the snipes about mining etc, have a look at the cause and what they're doing and tell me you don't support this.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good article. Just read his wikipedia page, and he seems to have a very strong social conscience, which is great to see.

Of course any sane person would support such an initiative. Good on him. He also seems to have been very supportive of indigenous initiatives, too. I see he and his wife have also pledged half of their wealth to charity while living, which I think is a major acknowledgement of the failure of markets, which shows strong insight into the world.

At the same time, any sane person with a conscience would oppose the cutting of 4.5B of foreign aid from the budget of one of the richest countries in human history, or worry sick about the overwhelming expert consensus on the risks of global warming, or be extremely concerned about the financial stress inflicted upon children by the decreasing share of productivity reflected in Australian real wages. So you just hope the full account of his moral ledger is as impressive as this excellent work he's doing. Perhaps it is, give or take.

Certainly I accept that people sometimes make well-intentioned trade-offs, such as saying nothing about certain issues they could speak on, and focusing on things they think they can get done. That's a fair trade-off, in my view. But one needs more information to judge rationally. And Forrest certainly isn't Rio, BHP and the shabby lot recently charged with corruption by ICAC in NSW, so if he is a blessing to society his halo only extends so far over what is a significantly filthy and destructive—albeit essential—industry.

Bill Gates always comes to mind in these situations. The bloke is doing great work now, but you do wonder just how many trillions of dollars his monopoly originally cost the global economy. But again, I'm happy to take the upside of people with open arms, no problem.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:21 pm

No one can fix everything. If individuals with the means focus on one target, that doesn't mean the others are less worthy.

Gates is focused on a narrow field with his foundation, doesn't mean the good he does is lessened. I get where you're coming from and no criticism of what you say.

IMO it's good to see some of the people who've made serious coin putting it back voluntarily to help with social issues. Doesn't mean they're all good, but does mean kudos to those who do.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Given his past record of nasty and dirty tricks, you have to be a bit cynical about this one. Maybe it's straight-up, but coming from this nasty bit of work, you have to wonder.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Bill Gates always comes to mind in these situations. The bloke is doing great work now

No he is not. He's spending millions of dollars to project his own narrow, blinkered American world view. Some of what he does is good, some of it is downright harmful. His PR team is pretty good though.

pietillidie wrote:
but you do wonder just how many trillions of dollars his monopoly originally cost the global economy.

Uncountable trillions, not just (a) in unethical and very often downright illegal extortion, lowering living standards and increasing business expenses all over the world - not just my opinion that, he's been tried and found guilty many times over, even by tame courts in the US of A - but more importantly in the massive and sustained cost impost flowing as a direct result of the dead hand of monopoly. I'm not talking about the extortionate and anti-competitive pricing here, I'm talking about the uncountable trillions of wasted man-hours and frustrated intentions that have resulted and still result from the dramatic slowdown in the pace of software development and improvement after Gates killed the dynamic and inventive free market. Gates set back the development of software by a full decade, maybe more, and the cost of that inefficiency and lost productivity all over the world in simply incalculable.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:50 pm

This would have a bit more currency if Forrest wasn't trying to get into the "slavery" areas for mineral exploitation where he would be flat out paying the locals 5 dollars a day.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:38 pm

^ This
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:19 am

Tannin wrote:
Given his past record of nasty and dirty tricks, you have to be a bit cynical about this one. Maybe it's straight-up, but coming from this nasty bit of work, you have to wonder.
He is a master of deflection.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Tannin, you surely have to allow for some complexity and ambiguity. Few people don't have a mixed ledger, even if the total numbers in both columns are inflated when it comes to gazillionaires, and even when one fundamentally disagrees with people having the power to command such resources to begin with.

That's not to encourage ignorance of the fine art of spin, of course, but it's okay to assume a posture of taking the good and rejecting the bad—even within the one individual.

Last edited by pietillidie on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:49 pm

It only takes a few.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Why aren't the Jews or Orthodox involved? There are more than 3 major (Abrahamic) religions.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Wokko wrote:
Why aren't the Jews or Orthodox involved? There are more than 3 major (Abrahamic) religions.

As far as I know Jews are communists, capitalists, control wall street, control the media, dominate international finance, control hollywood, control the media, are responsible for death & famine, are responsible for Ukraine if you're Russian, responsible for Russia if you're Ukrainian, caused the GFC, caused the loss to Freo last week, caused 9/11 in the US, caused 7/7 in the UK, caused the Syrian situation & control the world as we know it.

Why bother?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm

I don't really have an issue with Andrew Forrest as a human being and am glad that he's pumping some of his absurd wealth into positive projects. I do though disagree strongly with the system that allows him to gain so much personal wealth in the first place.

This initiative is good, but how much better would it be if all the money gained from taxing Forrest and other billionaires were pumped into humanitarian projects like this directly via government revenue?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm

David wrote:
I don't really have an issue with Andrew Forrest as a human being and am glad that he's pumping some of his absurd wealth into positive projects. I do though disagree strongly with the system that allows him to gain so much personal wealth in the first place.

This initiative is good, but how much better would it be if all the money gained from taxing Forrest and other billionaires were pumped into humanitarian projects like this directly via government revenue?

It wouldn't work because without their contribution the rest of us would have to pay more to pay for basic services. The top few percent of income earners pay a much larger percentage of the overall income tax revenue. I saw an American stat today that was a few years old that had (from memory) the top 10% of income earners paying over 50% of the overall income tax.

Yeah, they can divert a lot through using company assets but if you earn $3mil ps your going to be paying over $1mil in tax.

Edit, did a quick google search and this came up first.

Quote:
Separate data from the Australian Taxation Office confirm rising progressivity. Based on income tax returns from the 2010-11 financial year, the top 1 per cent of individual income earners - who in the 2010-11 tax year were those with taxable incomes of more than $281,800 a year - paid $23.55bn or 17.7 per cent of the total income tax haul, up from 17 per cent in 2009-10.

Meanwhile, the top 10 per cent of taxpayers - with taxable incomes of more than $105,500 - paid 46 per cent, up from 45.3 per cent a year earlier. The bottom third paid less than 5 per cent in both periods.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/opinion/no-the-rich-dont-pay-a-fair-share-of-tax-they-pay-all-of-it/story-e6frgd0x-1226841174461

Obviously slanted article but if the data is accurate...............

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:30 pm

I'd really like A slave, could come in handy, doesn't matter their religion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: