Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

With all the sniping going on ....Come here to do battle

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sachmojo 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I was saying Dale, honestly, what's with the geeky linux fanboy propaganda all over your avatar?

Are you just feeling so superior because you don't like paying for your OS or are you some kind of zealot out on a mission to convert the ignorant masses?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 pm

David wrote:
This thread has been around a bit... General Discussion, General Feedback, now shipped off to the Victoria Park Tavern...

it's the Dale Kickett of threads Very Happy

Glad to see it being useful big nose Razz

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:25 pm

David is really John Elliott? Whoa...

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:08 am

Sachmojo wrote:
So as I was saying Dale, honestly, what's with the geeky linux fanboy propaganda all over your avatar?

Are you just feeling so superior because you don't like paying for your OS or are you some kind of zealot out on a mission to convert the ignorant masses?

Firstly, my avatar doesn't show anything Linux at all. It is a Sprintcar. You do know what an avatar is, don't you?

So, because I use and promote Linux, that makes me a geeky fan boy eh! Does that also include everyone other Linux user as well?

I'd rather be a geeky Linux user than be a Micro$oft slave!

Don't like paying for my software? I have a brand new, never opened, legal copy of XP, as well as a legal copy of VISTA, but choose not to use them, even though I'll get paid if and when I write a comparison piece between the both.

I enjoy that fact that I have full and total control of my pc, not one that has to 'phone home' every day just to ensure that the software I am using is legit. So, just make sure your anti-virus software is up to date, check for spy ware, download and install your updates (good timing, this post, as it is now Security Update Tuesday), make sure your firewall hasn't been breached, etc, etc, then you can get stuck in to your 'working' day. You've what, just wasted an hour? (I'll now get the standard 'I don't need to worry about that crap as I'm careful what I download' spiel. Why have it in the first place if M$ is supposed to be safe and secure?)

Me, I just turn on my pc and I'm ready to go.

Hooked
Sachmojo 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:12 am

Dale61 wrote:

Firstly, my avatar doesn't show anything Linux at all. It is a Sprintcar. You do know what an avatar is, don't you?

Firstly, i didn't your avatar was anti-MS, i said anti-MS stuff was all over it. You'll notice that yes, your lame quote is written directly over it.

Dale61 wrote:
So, because I use and promote Linux, that makes me a geeky fan boy eh! Does that also include everyone other Linux user as well?

Pretty much. Every linux user I've ever known has been a rabid Microsoft hater, which pretty much defines fanboyism as we know it. I'm using the work 'geeky' with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I'm not too stupid to realise that having this conversation probably makes me a 'geek' too.

Dale61 wrote:
I'd rather be a geeky Linux user than be a Micro$oft slave!

Wow, there's some slashdot rhetoric if I've ever heard it. Please, oh enlightened open source user, tell me how I'm a Microsoft slave? Don't go down the DRM path please, because all of my media is DRM-free. Windows does leave me 'free' to play games at least, and I have no gripes with anything else it does.

Dale61 wrote:
I have a brand new, never opened, legal copy of XP, as well as a legal copy of VISTA

I'll give you $20 for your copy of Vista... surely that's more than it's worth to you.

Dale61 wrote:
I enjoy that fact that I have full and total control of my pc,

So do I, feels great doesn't it.

Dale61 wrote:
So, just make sure your anti-virus software is up to date, check for spy ware, download and install your updates (good timing, this post, as it is now Security Update Tuesday), make sure your firewall hasn't been breached, etc, etc, then you can get stuck in to your 'working' day. You've what, just wasted an hour?

Anti-virus updates automatically if you don't mind, as do the Windows updates. Do I take it linux doesn't need updates? My old Ubuntu box requested them more frequently than Windows ever has, and the install process was more hands on, not that it bothered me. If you truly think it takes an hour of my day, every working day, to keep the baddies at bay then you've been living in your linux world too long.

Dale61 wrote:
(I'll now get the standard 'I don't need to worry about that crap as I'm careful what I download' spiel. Why have it in the first place if M$ is supposed to be safe and secure?)

MS clearly isn't safe and secure, although this has improved markedly. I'm not under any illusions.

Sad fact of the matter is you've picked a techie fight (yes you... i just asked why you had all the propaganda, which will be lost on 99% of the users here, adorning your Collingwood forum' screen name) with someone who's actually tried linux, enjoyed it (and still do enjoy playing around with live CD's/USB stick distros) but chose to go back to MS. Your type usually run out of logical discussion in this situation and start raving on about DRM, monopolies and the devil.

All that needs to be said is that an OS is a tool, that's all, not a religion that should be pushed on others with such zealotry.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:03 pm

sorry to offend...but...Im having visions!!!!! Shocked Laughing Wink
Sachmojo 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm

skaman wrote:

Hehe fair call skaman... can't argue the geekiness of this conversation.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:32 pm

Sachmojo wrote:
skaman wrote:

Hehe fair call skaman... can't argue the geekiness of this conversation.

No worries Sach!....just remember to get your good orange book club, polo shirt in the wash before mum comes home. I think you may have dribbled some Ribena down the collar in all the commotion. Laughing Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 pm

Do not ask me any more questions please. But what? My brain pattern set does not have a response for that. Does "it" still refer to shock lol wink[quote] he fair call skaman? Try saying that with more or less context. I am glad you find this funny. In the context of to get your good orange book club polo shirt in the wash mum comes, I don't understand "wink. "
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 pm

I suggest a computer duel at midday, computers at 20 paces...

It's going to be sorted out with Bill Gates in one corner, and the Linux guy in another. While Dale and Sach fight it out to show whose system is the best overall...

Excuse me I was just having some fun with the fight club post, and thought it would be a new age in Keyboard Cowboys duelling. Smile

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Makes it difficult to debate when page takes 16 minutes to open! And no, it's not my pc as other web sites open fine.

So, I'll agree that those who know (or have NFI) prefer M$; those who know better prefer Linux!

Oh, and the $20 offer for my copy of Vista - can't happen and won't happen. It's a reviewers copy and therefore, not mine to sell. I was going to do a comparison when I still had my laptop, but as the lappie was not 100% Linux compatible, I gave it back once the lease expired. I'm currently looking at a 100% Linux friendly laptop, but it is will have to come from the US.

Hooked
xtcc 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:59 pm

How long will it take.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:20 pm

It's like a cross between Revenge of the Nerds and Star Wars Surprised
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:22 pm

I have never used or had Linux so I cannot make any comparisons between that and Mircosoft, and I cannot say which is better as I have only used the one..

xtcc 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:24 pm

I cant wait for the 20 pace thing at dawn. PC shoot out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: