Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Carey at Collingwood? No thank you!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:28 am
Post subject: Carey at Collingwood? No thank you!Reply with quote

This topic hasn't come up here, but there has been the expected crystal balling on other sites about Wayne Carey coming to Collingwood.

Wayne Carey is one of the sport's all-time champions, there is no doubt about that. His game can be inspirational, his ability to grab a lost game by the scruff of the neck and turn it on his head is legendary.

But that comes at a cost.

I find it interesting that, if Caroline Wilson's story is accurate, Carey's removal was demanded by the players, even though he felt that the issue could be resolved. Taking into account Carey's importance to both the on-field and off-field future of the club (no other club has one player that is so important to its future), the mood of the players is very telling. That is not the reaction of a group of people to a dispute, admittedly, a gravely serious dispute, between two of its members. You would expect divided loyalties, especially when one of them is their Captain and is of such huge importance to the club.

The between the lines story is that the players have had enough of the 'King', his ego and his behaviour.

And people want that at Collingwood? Give me a break!

"Eddie here is your chance. Get Wayne Carey and I will forget the players you missed out on getting. i.e. Gehrig, Everitt. I might even give blamey some praise" (Rohan on EB&W).

Rohan how would you fit Carey into a team that already contains the game's greatest player? Somehow, I have trouble seeing Carey playing second fiddle or meekly copping a serve from his Captain.

I think Carey will have trouble finding a spot in any team, unless he has a personality and ego transplant. There is no way that Wayne Carey will fit into a new team, except as Captain - and that would cause instant dissatisfaction amongst the other players - not something anyone in their right mind would be inviting in the door.

He may not look for another berth, it's really far too early to be speculating on that, but if he does he might find that other clubs value team harmony and performance above his individual brilliance and unless the two can be made to work together there will not be a place for him - anywhere.

And particularly not at Collingwood.

@shLicuria 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE 100%

Y WOULD WE WANT SOMEONE LIKE CAREY!!??
full of injury old bag... pfffft

i was takking about this with a friend last night. he wants carey to play for cwood.. i'm like.. wat for? and he said the whole 'he's a great legend' and 'he would solve all our problems' i mean ok, he can have his say.. but i have mine to, and i am totally against carey.

for those who would luv him in our fwd line... i mean tarrant, cummings, jazza molloy...... AND WAYYYYYYYNE... woah CONJESTED OF WAT!
and we dont need him waste of space and money

cwood dont want him, cwood dont NEED him

Luv da 1 da only da @sh Licuria

RODE + #45 4 EVA!
#21 4 EVA GO BRENT!
always legends,will stay legends
wait for tuckey and nicki stone
to kick our butts:
COLL VS WEST COAST/COLL VS HAWTHORN
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:58 am

He'd bloody better not come to Collingwood. It was already suggested to me last night that he might end up here - I replied that I might even have to switch clubs if that happened!!! I've never made any secret out of the fact that I despise the WAYNKER - he is my most hated footballer (arrogant, sleazy asshole) and certainly isn't the type of person we want at Collingwood.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:29 am

Thankfully our club are not in the habit of taking on overpriced
big name players for a stopgap quickfix.
Collingwood are teaching our players to be rolemodels with integrity. Which is something certain players will never have.
Rohan I don't think many here will share your views.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:11 am

OK, playing devil's advocate here, so don't shoot me down: what if carey did end up at c'wood? ultimately, it's the football dept who determines who comes and goes.....if they can swing a deal, or they think he might fit in, or if cummings has a bad season, or whatever, they might go for someone like carey.

hey, I don't like the guy too, he might be bad for team harmony and everything, but the reality is - he WOULD solve a lot of c'wood's short-term deficiencies, i.e. CHF. what would people prefer - a disharmonious team that wins premierships, or a harmonious team that just falls short? it's all very well to be gentlemanly and have principles, but the crux of it is that the aim of footy is to win the flag, and these days teams have to be quite machiavellian or mercenary about things. how many people would have taken lockett all those years ago, or everitt....?

the roos, as a club, may now be disintegrating, they may feel betrayed by carey, but how many of their supporters would put their hands up and say, "I want to take back those two premierships and all those prelim. finals that carey helped us to win?" not many. and it's not like the pies don't have any up and coming talent; they just need time to develop. OK, scenario: carey at CHF next year, which releases josh to ruck and molly to go to CHB. maybe, just maybe pull off one premiership. 3 years down the track, carey retires, josh goes to CHF and guy richards is now ready to assume the first ruck, the rest of the team has benefited and matured from playing with carey, and c'wood dominates the rest of the decade.

hey, I hope c'wood doesn't pick up carey as well, but if we do, I will 100% support the club's decision. I won't change teams, burn my scarf, cut up my season ticket, there is not even a question of my loyalty. carey had an affair, he has a checkered past...but it's not like he raped anyone or killed anyone...it was an indiscretion between two consenting adults; since when has morality been a factor in professional football??

if carey ever rolls out in the black and white, I will cheer him. how many people hated cummings before he became a pie and how many people now love him? but hey, like I said, just playing devil's advocate

"consectatio excellentiae"
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:34 am

Junkboy, I don't question Carey's value as a footballer and, particularly, as a CHF. The question I asked, and the question you failed to address, is how do you fit him into the team - any team really, but particularly one that contains a Captain of Bucks ability and dominance.

Bucks is one of those rare breed of footballers, an intellectual with a heap of natural ability, a thinking Captain. No-one could accuse Wayne Carey of being an intellectual, he runs on pure ability and ego and the clash would be inevitable and unresolvable. That's not taking into a account the effect that such a dominant, arrogant personality would have on the rest of the team - it would be a disaster.

Wayne Carey has self-destructed, it was inevitable. North pandered to him because of his ability and his profile as the Rooboy and kept him at the expense of the rest of the team.

They have now paid the price for that. Let's learn their lesson.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:27 am

Mike, I agree - it would be extremely difficult to fit carey into any team because of his ego and general personality, but I don't think it's impossible. perhaps he will have learnt a few home truths during the course of this incident (I hope he has), maybe he will have to eat some extreme humble pie. but if he is serious about playing again, and given his track record and the general negative view and apprehension that any team will now have of him, he would be stupid not to change his ways. this may include taking an non-leadership role at a new team.

as for c'wood's case, I too cannot see how we can fit him in, but perhaps balmey and co. can. bucks is a great general, the consummate professional and the ultimate team player. in the past he has also been accused of being egotistical and not doing the team things, but he has changed his playing style and outlook for the betterment of the team. it may indeed be a case of "this team's not big enough for the both of them", but certainly it's not impossible. bucks can definitely change for the good of the team, carey may learn to do so.

I guess I'm coming from more a quality and ability point of view. in terms of this, if carey agrees to come to c'wood, it may be too good an opportunity to pass up for the footy dept. then again, they may think he is too disruptive. but, I just get the feeling that the club do not mind a little bit of the former at the expense of the latter; after all we did actively pursue the likes of everitt who, arguably, has just a bad a rep as carey but with none of the success. I also think that mick has the ability to curtail any disciplinary problems that may arise, from anyone. another analogy, based on basketball, is the chicago bulls taking a punt on dennis rodman who, despite being an egotistical a-hole, helped the bulls to 3 straight NBA titles.

having said that, I do hope that we don't get carey. I do enjoying booing him more so than I would cheering him

"consectatio excellentiae"
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:41 am

If Carey does play ANYWHERE again, his nickname would have to change from "ROOBOY" to "ROOTBOY" wouldn't it?

I want him to play somewhere, just so I can shout that over the boundary at him.

Even better, let Nathan use it.........

Any year we beat Carlton is a good year
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:56 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Mike. Regardless of how much football is left in Carey I would be surprised at any Club jumping to recruit him for next year.

How can a club captain (for what 10+ years?) with his arrogance and ego, possibly fit harmoniously into any team? Particularly when you take into account his latest indiscretion and supposedly with a "best mate's" partner. How does that encourage mateship and a "do or die" attitude for and with your team-mates?

Any benefit of having a great CHF in your team would be completely weighed out by the disharmony and distrust that surely would automatically exist. 1990 was an example of a champion team rather than a team of champions - and I think with the current group of guys we have that we are heading towards having that champion team again - we don't need a past "champion" to rock the boat and cause more trouble than he's worth.

Besides why do we need a CHF when we have Josh, Pebbles, Tarrant, Molloy.....?

GO PIES!

Marg

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:34 am

I think you are all crazy, you make it sound like you have known Carey for years. Actually I wound't be surprised if Buckley and Carey are friends. Maybe I missed something, where did anyone get the idea that he is arrogant and a prick etc. I know that nearly everyone I know who didn't support North has hated CArey for years - hardly surprising. Also on the field he has a very in-your-face and aggressive approach which fuels the opposition hatred more but is almost a requisite for a dominant player in today's game.
I personally think Carey would be great for Cwood and he and Buckley would combine brilliantly. All this about him and Buckley clashing sounds like codswollop to me - or collingswollop.
Ok reading between the lines it sounds like he might have gone the whole hog wiht someone's wife - how many people do you know who haven't done that once in their lives? Have you seen the statistics on extra-marital affairs? CAnt' remember exactly but definitley over 40%, maybe a lot more.
His biggest crime was getting caught, or maybe falling in love or something which caused it to go too far - who knows, we know nothing about it?

I just suggest you get off your moral pedestals, or are you fit to throw the first stone?
Apart from that, as a woods supporter all my life I actually like CArey from his interviews etc, I think he says some good things and sucks to the establishment a lot less than most people on TV. Personally I think that having Carey for a couple of years would be one of the best things to happen to the woods for years.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:51 am

Wow bokka, you stay away for a long time, but you sure come back with a vengeance.

Who's taking any moral ground at all. I've made no comment on the issues of the last 24 hours except to say that the players pushed the issue to a decision.

You're quite right that none of us know anything other than what we have heard and have no right to pass judgement.

My viewpoint would have been exactly the same if we had been discussing this a week ago and is based on my opinion of Wayne Carey. I didn't realise that I sounded like I knew Wayne Carey personally, so perhaps I should say that I have never met Wayne Carey, although I think you may have guessed that.

I am quite happy to add to anything I have written above that the viewpoint that I have expressed in this topic is my opinion and my opinion only and should not be taken as anything more.

By the way - welcome back. We've missed you at the games in the virtual outer.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 14 March 2002).]
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:52 am

Carey at Collingwood would be as bad as having Howard as the No.1 ticket holder

[Dr.Alf here: Whoaaaa ... Steady on here mate ... I've obviously gotta delete your reference to Matthews ... You are courting serious legal complications here and I'm getting rid of that comment ... for your own good)

... so why have a slime ball Carey with the PIES.
That is an insult to our intelligence.
Lets be truthful carey got caught with his pants down.

(Alf again: and I'm sorry but I'm going to get all moralistic here and delete your last comment too ... )

catch you later

PeterWH
PIES FOR PREMIERS 2002

[This message has been edited by Dr Alf Andrews (edited 14 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dr Alf Andrews (edited 14 March 2002).]
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:13 am

I think some people are missing the point including Bokka.
It's not the infidelity, but the fact that Carey has ruined the life of someone who was a friend and team mate - not just an aquaintance.
It has adversely affected his relationship with his team mates.
In fact so much so that they can no longer play together.
Things like this have happened in other teams in the past and have always had an irreversably negative effect on all concerned.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:32 am

Mike and everyone else, don't take my comments too personally, they were jsut a general knee-jerk reaction to some of the comments. Im not condoning Carey's (alleged) actions but as someone said it takes 2 to tango, and it's not a capital crime. In france (well 20 years ago at least) noone would have batted an eyelid much, but maybe there would have been a duel or something - actually maybe they weren't a bad way of dealing with this sort of stuff. ANyway that's a bit irrevevant since were not in France obviousy.
sounds like a bit of a long shot him ending up at C'wood anyway, I'd say Sydney sounds more likely, different town, a new start and a bit less prudish than old Melbourne. They even like T Lockett! (just kidding, obvioulsy I don't know anything much about Lockett either)
Ps I was here live for the first half of Dockers last week - I'm in eastern US so it was 3 in morn by then. Just dusted off the old password here for first time in a year or so.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:04 am

Funny, I had a feeling that was you on Saturday, but I think that Dave asked you at one stage where you were and you said on the East Coast, so I decided it wasn't. Last time you were here you were on the other side of the country.

Hang around for a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: