Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

JA Mid-Season Intvw - Question Request

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> NBB Player Sponsorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At the club has anyone taken you under their wing? And if so, who? And have they provided any advice to you?

Before coming to the club who was your favourite AFL player?

Who at present or even the past has been your hero?

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Ok Guys, Jack has taken some time to answer your questions and good old muggins Dad here will post up his responses for you, LOL. Hopefully he hasn't left anyone out, if so, we can do some more questions later in the year.

xtcc wrote:
LOL Stui you got it covered.
2 - favorite band

Fav Band: Mayday Parade
Fav Song: Mayday Parade – one man drinking games!

Joel wrote:
* Who do you model your game on (if at all) - Past and Present Players?
* Who was your idol as a young lad, and why?
* What position do you think suits you best?

I model my game on James Clement, I don’t want to be the player he is because I want to claim my own position in a different style, but I like the way Jimmy goes about his football. He is one of the most intelligent guys I have met, he has something like 5 different degrees in education. James Clement was also my idol growing up, I wasn’t a Collingwood supporter as a young lad but I did have a soft spot for them, especially the way James Clement played.

I love the backline as much as I love the forward line. Playing 8 years in the forward line obviously I am going to still want a chance down there every once in a while, and from the looks of it I might get my wish next season, until then I have made sure my mind is open to different positions on the field because these days you just never know. You need to be the kind of player that knows each role well just incase it is put on you to play that certain position. My favorite position is either half back or half forward, but what ever place on the field I am put I will always learn to be a better player in that position and give everything.

favourites 2006 wrote:
What do you think of Ryan Cook and Danny Nicholls??
heres your chance to get them back haha

Cookie and Nicko are good mates of mine, yeah we have our days where we just can’t handle seeing each other around the place so that’s where we go to our room and chill or go out somewhere. It’s really good in the house and we work well not only teammates but housemates as well.

STOKA35 wrote:
Prior to the draft who did you follow/barrack for, if you did'nt barrak for collingwood has you views changed of our club since being there.

as a young player coming from tac football how do you handle the pressure demands expected by the club,fans and media obviously that has increased tenfold. or do you focus on your own individual program that the club wants to follow in terms of fitness, strength program then progress into the system.

who are the practical jokers at the club.

have you seen or been on the end of one of micks sprays is it scary.

When playing junior football things are great there’s no pressure and you really enjoy the fun of the game. Not speaking for anyone else but I believe at stages throughout my development especially as a footballer coming through the ranks, at times can become very full on and that enjoyment of the game can be shadowed by the hardness and pressure as a young kid. It wasn’t until I was 16 that I regained that enjoyment, I started making the grade and felt as though my body could handle the physical demand of training and playing against bigger bodied guys. When eventually being drafted I had come to the club with that mentality. I was obviously lucky and good enough to be considered as a senior player, it was time for me to put my head down and prove to the coaches and selectors of my position and playing ability.

Most of the guys have a laugh it’s a great environment for development, especially if you’re new to the system. The one that really sticks out in my mind of being the biggest practical joker would have to be Dale Thomas, but its all in lightheartedness and fun.

I haven’t yet been on the end of one of Mick’s sprays, but I have seen it, its juts a coach doing what a coach should and that’s to instruct and get his point across.

dish wrote:
Who do you think will be our next captain?

Can’t really say yet who’s going to be our next captain, I think apart from Bucks obviously, we have some great leaders at the club and any one of say 10 blokes can be a potential candidate for the position.

Roddy wrote:

Hey Jack, does your gf have any hot friends?
How much can you bench press)

LOL Roddy I don’t have a girlfriend at the moment, Ryan Cook keeps asking me to set him up with all my friends lol. So yeah just flying solo at the moment.
My Max Bench press is 115 Kilo

Last edited by JAJH on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:54 pm

melliot wrote:
Has he sat in the coaches box to see whats happening in there?

What coach spends the most time with him?

What is the skill or area do the coaches say you need to work on the most?

What is the skill or area do the coaches say you do best?

What is the injury exactly (I know its to do with a collision and the impact on his neck, but is it dammaged disks or what)? Is there possibility of long term problems with it or most likely to heal 100% ?

What is he doing to keep his fitness/skills up at a high level or is this not possible?

Is he doing any reviews of the game's great defenders such as SOS, Pert, and even attending games and just watching Rutton/Fletcher/Clement/Presti? or the current forwards to learn their tricks, like Lloyd, Reiwolt, Brown, etc?

Hope that helps. Best wishes on his recovery!

Yes I general each game sit in the coaches Box, Best seat in the house, I tend to make to much noise in there because I get really into it and fired up and passionate. I can’t really say what goes on in there but it’s defiantly an experience.

I generally spend a fair bit of time with all the coaches, weather that is for learning, being coaching or just a chat. All the coaches are great but to be honest I probably spend more time and become good mates more so with Gavin Brown, because of the position I played last season.

Lately I haven’t gone over what skills and areas of my game I need to improve with any of the coaches. What I do, do though is train my brain as well as perfect my skills given the time out of the game, this now gives me a great opportunity to become a better well rounded footballer and improve both defensive as well as offensive areas of my game.
The coaches from what I know believe I have a commitment to the team which I am willing to for fill each week no matter what the position I have been put in. They also believe I do my roll to the best of my ability and give everything to winning the game. I can’t touch on what the specific areas they like about my game, I believe its probably not my place nor position to say. I just hope I can contribute each week to helping the team be successful.

The injury is what’s called a Epidural Hematoma….From what I know it’s a blood clot in the spinal cord which I development from a certain neck position I was put in when I connected with Martin Clarke’s shoulder. It’s a very unlucky and very rare injury almost so that the doctors could not find a lot of information on the injury. They gave me a heeling tome bracket of about 6 – 9 month period in which there was to be no contact or heavy lifting within the first 6 months (currently its been 4 months) and at the end of 6 months I am allowed to commence full training as well as gradually lifting heavier weights. At 9 months I will be back to full everything and readying myself for the following season.

I haven’t as yet been to see another game apart from a Collingwood match; I have discussed it and should be attending other games to come soon as a learning point. At times I have a look at all types of players but I don’t look too deeply into studying them at this point in time. I will do something along those lines latter in the season when its fresh in my memory.
I am in a lot better position and state of mind then I have been since the injury happened. The obvious reason I can’t play is due to the elevated level of risk of the chance the blood clot could come back.
I do minimal to no contact for 6 months from the date of the injury which happened on the 31st of Jan. It has now been 2 ½ months so I am slowly working up to harder more physical training. This includes a new weights program which allows me to maintain muscle definition and weight but not so much strength! I am able to run as much as I want and or advised to.
At the moment I train pretty hard on the track and have a specially designed fitness program to follow inside which includes, Bike, Rower, Treadmill and Swimming. I try and maintain a certain level of hard training so where as to compare the differences in say a few months time, fitness wise and physically.

I designed a program myself, then with the help of Blackers (Club Doctor), Simon Lloyd (Psychologist), Alan Richardson (1-3rd yr Development Coach) and David Butterfunt (Fitness Coach), I finalized a special program that allows me to get the maximum amount of fitness and strength work within the guide lines before that 6 month period is up. At that six month mark I am then allowed to commence full training with contact as well as build my program up to a level where I am putting on muscle and size, and almost at the point of being match fit.

I have always learnt to be confident but without being over confident. I think that when someone becomes self indulgent and thinks about him self before his teammates, that’s when people get left behind, get weeded out pretty quickly. I have great support by my family and friends, not to mention the coaches and my teammates so when I get my chance again I am only going to be giving my best each week. If this means either playing for Williamstown or Collingwood I don’t mind at this point, I am just looking forward to putting my boots on and doing what I try and do best, and that’s play football, play for my teammates and play to win!
I thinks its great for the young blokes this year to be giving there chance, not only are they taking full advantage of the opportunity; they are contributing each week, they work well within the teams structure and they have the belief, it is great to see!!

At first it was a pain in the ass, wanting to be out there with my teammates and playing footy. It was a massive shock for me, lying there not knowing how serious it was, weather or not I would be back this year or ever the fact! There was a lot of uncertainty where this injury might take me in life; obviously I have now been given a second chance to play again. It is a pain being out all year but like I have said before, this now gives me a great opportunity to understand the game a bit better, to learn the fundamentals of football. Not only that, I am now in year 12 trying to get my VCE pass so I can go on to study Business in university within the next few years. This injury has made me realize that football can be over in a blink of an eye; it is a small part of life so having something there to fall back on as security is a great feeling and something every footballer should have.

surfer1 wrote:
How exciting is it to be at Collinwood with all the 21 and younger players and are you all in awe of Bucks and Burns?

Look the new draftees are great! They work the backsides off each session and try and prove themselves in everything they do as anyone player would naturally. There very professional people, in there prep, recovery and general attitudes towards everything. I think Marty Clarke would have to be one of the hardest runners at the club; he certainly has picked the game up really well and is very exciting to watch.

Like I said I believe this injury has taught me a lot about life, not to think that Football is the be all and end all, to organize myself better off the field and made me realize that I have been given a second chance and to not take things for granted.
I think it’s great! I love talking to new people and meeting new people. I am a people person and really any footballer that says he doesn’t like the attention would be lying; sometimes it’s nice to be noticed haha….
I think we have some of the most loyal fans in Football, as much as people may hate Collingwood we are the most popular club and we enjoy making the fans happy, weather that be on the field or off the field it just is a bonus part of the job.

Yes, I rarely have a read of what’s being said but really you need to take a lot of personal things with a grain of salt, its ones opinion over someone else’s to be honest. I have told the boys its part of the game don’t read to heavily into things that are said about personal performances of what be it. Just enjoy the fact the public are supporting the club, weather that be negatively or positive it’s all part of the job.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Nicks Bulletin Board members and the general public for there support and kind words. You have continued your support despite my injury and absence from the game for a year, I hope I can only prove you guys right when I get my chance, because your support has made me more hungry for the BLACK AND WHITE and more determined to represent it!
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:01 pm

The Prototype wrote:

At the club has anyone taken you under their wing? And if so, who? And have they provided any advice to you?

The players at the club are great, in particular the older group in James clement, Nathan Buckley Wakes etc. My mentor is Jimmy so he spends a lot of time with me going through tapes from the weekend and opposition etc. Gaven Brown is also a great help for the younger group especially the younger defenders like myself. He has been great in developing me as a defender and it was about the half way mark through last season when I started to believe more and more in what he was telling me to do e.g. body position, reading the play etc.

Melliot wrote:

Has he sat in the coach’s box to see what’s happening in there?
Yeah I sit in the coach’s box every game this season. My role is to take down hits on target players each week, usually that being the oppositions two best onballers or key players in the team.

Which coach spends the most time with him?

Gavin Brown especially last year spent a lot of time with me with defensive work, I constantly work with Alan Richardson in developing as a footballer, as well as Brad Scott and Blake Caracalla with more tackling and forward line work.
What is the skill or area the coaches say you need to work on the most?
I think as a footballer you need to keep developing and improving. Whether you’re a forward or a defender it’s important you constantly improve on those positions and learn more and more about not only the game but your own capabilities. I personally is just getting my body right so I can play a variety of roles, I am constantly trying to get fitter and stronger so improving in that area as well as general balls skills is essential.

fan4collingwood wrote:

How hard can John train, is he just running and doing weights, or does he train fully?

At the moment I have a specially designed program that doesn’t allow me to do any contact or heavy lifting. I have not done a proper weights program for 4 months now but should be soon starting to lift that program and get more into the weight like I used to be before the injury. I train with the main group which is great and have since I came back from the injury, I can’t do full contact but on the odd occasion when there’s a spoil or bump to be put on I lay it down like I would if I was playing. Unfortunately the Docs have pulled me up for that lately but it won’t be long until I can do full training and contact, weights again.

What position would he like to play?
I grew up as a forward, it was about 2 years ago that they (Northern Knights) decided to try me down defence for a change, I did well and since then have only ever been played as a defender. From the sounds of things I might be getting a chance again down the forward line to see how I go next year.

Tully wrote:

Is this your first year as a sponsored player?

Yes this is my first year as a sponsored player which is great, i appreciate any support I get and to have that from all of Nick’s Boards members is a great warming feeling. Again I thank you all for your support and hope I can for fill your hopes of me in season 2008.

How did Nick Maxwell feel about getting the flick in favour of you??
It’s never been mentioned between us two actually, there isn’t an issue what so ever.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 pm

Great read, thanks Jack and John for taking the time to answer the questions and post them up
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Thanks fellas!
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks to both of you!

Just feel for which ever of you had to type all that!

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Thanks JAJH for posting that, and thanks to Jack for answering the questions.

Good luck with your recovery.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:23 pm

great stuff guys
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:48 am

Thanks Jack and JAJH. Bloody privelidged, we are. Hope the recovery is going well. Must be hard at present given our recent injuries up back, knowing you coulda been a show there. Up forward eh? Now that sounds tasty too. Either way mate, I reckon ya gunna do us proud whatever position you play.

Cheers,
Rob

TB Capricorn

When I was growing up everyone wanted to be a ballerina...I wanted to be a vampire!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:22 am
Post subject: wonderfulReply with quote

wonderful and what a privilege Smile
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks JAJH for the effort in typing the answers up, and huge thanks to Jack for giving us fans a great insight to the life of a footballer.

One thing I thought was great was Jack being in the coaches box, mate the club must think an awful lot of you for you to be there. Best of Luck
( or should I say determination and hard work) for your recovery and realy am looking forward to the day you play your first game for the pies!

JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:

One thing I thought was great was Jack being in the coaches box, mate the club must think an awful lot of you for you to be there.

Yeah, I think it's quite an honour as well to be in the box.... he does the stats every week. I was asking John just the other day if any other players are in the coaches box and unless it's someone like Bucks or a senior player who might be injured, it's just him and the coaching staff. I reckon that's a huge step forward in his development and a sign of respect from the coaches to invite him in there week after week.
NicksScoreboard 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks JAJH. I'll post the answers on the website too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> NBB Player Sponsorship All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: