Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Williamstown Teams Vs Frankston - Sunday May 13th - Mothers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

JAJH, are ANY of our VFL players AFL ready?? It just seems according to you, none of them are, yet Mick seems to be thinking along the lines of blooding more new players.

I'm very confused at your reports.

xtcc 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:56 am

I think it is more about giving them a go @ senior level to let them know what it takes to make it in the AFL.
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:22 am

jonesy86 wrote:
well you would expect frankston go back a few steps after losing Edwards who kicked 100 goals and won the VFL B&F

Frankston must have an upside as they were able to 'win' the services of Chipper Adkins. However, he hasn't played a game yet as he is (still) injured.

Hooked
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:43 pm

~Madness~ wrote:
JAJH, are ANY of our VFL players AFL ready?? It just seems according to you, none of them are, yet Mick seems to be thinking along the lines of blooding more new players.

I'm very confused at your reports.

Don't forget I am only a spectator and offer an opinion only, as we all do. Whats MM says and does can be vastly different, I recall him saying the same thing last year. I also recall my young bloke burning the house down at Willy late in the season and everyone saying he was going to get senior selection but didn't. Of the entire 2005 draftees, only THOMAS and PENDLEBURY made their debut, the rest continue to spend their time at Willy.Of the AFL listed kids at Willy the only one who stands out to me at this stage is Goldsack, but as I said in a previous post, these kids have only played half a dozen games at VFL level, is it fair to throw them to the wolves just yet? We have all heard many times Brad GOTCH make the comment about young kids spending a decent amount of time at Willy, it gives their bodies time to adjust, their skill levels improve and their football brains develop.
mickyg 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Iles made his debut last year, and Nicholls, Toovey and Cox all made their debuts this year, all from the 2005 draft (rookie and pre-season)

I think JA was close last year, but the players in his direct position were playing well. He was unlucky.
what i mean is that if we loose didak, medders, dick ect you arnt going to bring in the bloke who was bog the last few weeks in the vfl if he is a centre half back you bring in the next small forward option. (not refering to ja, just an example)

The young guys just have to keep knockin on the door, week in week out, its what is putting pressure on the senior side and why they are playing so well, and eventually be it through injury or form they will get their chances.
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:58 pm

mickyg wrote:
Iles made his debut last year, and Nicholls, Toovey and Cox all made their debuts this year, all from the 2005 draft (rookie and pre-season)

When I said THOMAS and PENDLEBURY were the only debutants, I meant of the draftees, not the rookies or preseason draftees.
mickyg 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 pm

JAJH wrote:
mickyg wrote:

When I said THOMAS and PENDLEBURY were the only debutants, I meant of the draftees, not the rookies or preseason draftees.

i thought that is what you meant
so you dont rate these players as important because of their draft order?

the reason i ask and this isnt directed only at yourself, is that many dont, which is wrong, yet they are willing to bag them when they have already shown more then the rest of the 2005 crop bar thomas and pendles.

we all know JA'S position(injured) with the exception of him, why are guys such as Iles being continusly bagged and talked about under topics such as who we delist when guys like Cook and Stanley havent looked like getting a game. yet they are still considered better prospects than Iles, toovey and cox, simply because of the position they were drafted in.

imo once you are on a senior list, where and when you came to the club shouldnt matter, perfect example: James Hird
JAJH Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 am

[quote="mickyg"]
JAJH wrote:
mickyg wrote:

so you dont rate these players as important because of their draft order?

the reason i ask and this isnt directed only at yourself, is that many dont, which is wrong, yet they are willing to bag them when they have already shown more then the rest of the 2005 crop bar thomas and pendles.

we all know JA'S position(injured) with the exception of him, why are guys such as Iles being continusly bagged and talked about under topics such as who we delist when guys like Cook and Stanley havent looked like getting a game. yet they are still considered better prospects than Iles, toovey and cox, simply because of the position they were drafted in.

imo once you are on a senior list, where and when you came to the club shouldnt matter, perfect example: James Hird

Good points, I tend to think the rookies and preseason draftess are considered less 'talented' than the draftees by the general population which may have some merit considering they only get one year contracts. I think it fair to say when a rookie makes his debut before a draftee, the consensus would be that the draftee is not worthy of AFL status and should be delisted/traded, etc. Mind you, that's certainly not my opinion. I have always been a big rap of NICHOLLS, but his debut was nothing short of ordinary, hopefully he get many more chances. ISLES on the other hand was a big surprise to me and to some extent still is. Yes, J.HIRD is a very good example, Draft pick 79, or our own S.BURNS, Draft pick 90. I don't think a superstar is ready made, some players will slot straight in and adapt, others may take a considerable amount of time. The unfortunate thing about taking time to develop is clubs may not be prepared to invest the time and make the decision to delist or trade the individual.
wasis 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:28 am
Post subject: rookiesReply with quote

Not as many players are picked up late in drafts these days. In some ways, rookie draftees should be expected to be ready to play before late national draftees, as they are likely to have played a couple more years at least of senior footy, and have AFL ready bodies. It is at least as important to put effort into rookie picks as late national picks, as the system gives kids only two years, and a bit of bad luck with injury is all it takes to knock them out, wheras a rookie list player can be assessed at senior level and make an impact quite quickly.

Thank god we have started to take the rookie draft seriously.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:47 am
Post subject: Re: rookiesReply with quote

wasis wrote:
Not as many players are picked up late in drafts these days.

While there was a period where you could say that was the case, I think players coming through the system now are far better prepared than they have ever been so I would suggest that the opposite will become the norm. You only have to look at the numbers of rookies who are establishing themselves now and the quality of the late ND picks from the last couple of years.
wasis 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Just don't think there will be as many star late picks like Hird, Burns Grant etc.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am

wasis wrote:
Just don't think there will be as many star late picks like Hird, Burns Grant etc.

Probably right as these guys will be identified earlier and all clubs will be watching their progress. Always the late developer or the NSW rookies or the international recruits.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:24 am

jackcass wrote:
wasis wrote:

Probably right as these guys will be identified earlier and all clubs will be watching their progress. Always the late developer or the NSW rookies or the international recruits.

Probably right but the rookie draft seems to be taking that spot over. Don't forget most of the kids picked up as rookies were effectively passed over in the main draft so you could argue that they are later than late picks. Every one of these kids that gets up and becomes a gun is equivalent to taking a burns or hird with a late pick.

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:07 pm

JAJH and WKB, it is always great to read how the youngsters are performing, thanks for the reports.
woody-woody 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:29 pm

hey JAJH
wondering how young John is progressing?

is he able to do a reasonable level of skills work? running? weights?

is it just contact work he has to avoid?

anyway, very interested to hear and am really looking forward to seeing him back in action
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Williamstown Factor All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: